Close calls

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Close calls

Postby highfly24 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Ohio State and Washington were a little sluggish to start and it was quite the competitive 1st half for each. This is pretty common but it sure will make for some over reactions among some. Currently, USF is also struggling with a weak FCS Stony Brook program. I expect they will roll in the 2nd half.

Pitt and Oregon State just barely beat FCS foes in Youngstown State, and Portland State. Missouri defense was nonexistent in their win. An over rated Texas team also lost to a mediocre Maryland squad. Not actually surprised by that but I heard someone talking that Texas has a legit shot at winning Big 12. Dont think we hear much more of that.

I didnt see it but sounds like the UNC/Cal game was entertaining. It is rare that a Pac 12 team comes to the other ocean and gets a win during the day games. A night kickoff is easier to adjust but those 9a kicks often lead to trouble for them. Will see how some of these others play out. USC/Western Michigan?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Close calls

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Everything said here reflects my sentiments.

USF was in trouble until 3 minutes left in the game. Stony Brook really took it to them. Fatigue in the fading moments killed what momentum they had. So Florida looks bad. And this was the Bulls home opener.

I was almost surprised that Oregon State actually pulled it out. They were headed for a miserable loss.

Yes, the North Carolina/Cal game was exciting. I think poor play calling down the stretch is what lost the game for the Tar Heels. They abandoned what was working, and tried to force a mixed offense. It's okay to try that when you take control of the game, so that you work on other aspects of your play schemes. However, when you're having trouble maintaining your lead, then you are being just foolish.

A lot of rust all over the place. But, I think much of it is expectations being set a bit too high for some programs.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Purdue is really giving Louisville fits...

There were 3 poor calls on the Cardinals last drive that saw a Purdue D-Lineman get ejected on what the replay booth intervened and declared targeting (which there was not), a phantom pass interference brought Louisville closer, and a Phantom TD that was reviewed, clearly showing the ball carrier fumbling just before crossing the goal line, then recovering it out of bounds which should have been a touch back giving Purdue the ball on the 20 ...

Since then, a pick 6 gave Louisville the lead, as the momentum has flipped, thanks to the ref's.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Baylor, I thought, was getting too much attention in the off season ... now I know they are not so good.

Liberty may beat them tonight. The Bears had to put up a TD in the 4th, in order to pull within 3.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm

It started out looking like a close call, but in the end it wasn't close. But Ga looked really sloppy in the first quarter, and then we lose the starting QB.

This is gonna be a long season. They are not gonna beat Notre Dame looking like this.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:44 am

I watched the games and thought about semi close scores. Arkansas State hangs with Nebraska. And the ones already mentioned above. Glad I wasn't betting on games Saturday. Texas losing, I was thinking who could slide in the top 25 in their place. One SEC pundit said he thought NC State would make the playoff. Yes, you read that correctly. They already lost one. Even East Carolina losing to JMU. Howard, a 45 point dog beats UNLV.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 am

Wacky weekend to start the season majority, for sure.

I wasn't very happy with Miami's performance either ... down by 3 to Bethune Cookman for the better part of the first quarter, only to tie the game (3 -3) with 3:19 left in the opening 15 mins ... we started pulling away after the 13:31 mark the following quarter, putting up 3 TD's in the 2cnd. But overall, this team should have never gotten 350 yard of offense on us.

Derek, are you going to make the trip to South Bend?

If you are, I'll see about my availability, and show you how to get around here, avoiding most of the Stadium traffic.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 am

And Baylor gave up 585 yards to lose vs Liberty, 48 - 45 ...

I know Baylor is shorter handed than they were a year ago, with players having transferred out. However, their depth chart was still deeper than Liberty's was, Saturday.

This is a reflection of what many of us on this site have been posting for years, now.
When you put all of your eggs in one basket, you come out rather bare elsewhere.

In this for instance, Baylor [along with the Big XII as a whole] has put so much emphasis on the offensive side of the field, that their defense has finally plummeted, bottoming out. If Liberty did this to them; what is going to happen when the Bears get into conference play..?

`twill be an ugly season in Waco ...

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

As for other close calls ...
What about last night's games?

There was some excitement going on Sunday. College Football shines again.

West Virginia vs Virginia Tech. Wow!! That was a fun game. Neither team was giving in. It started out looking as though we'd have a track meet. Then, the defenses stepped up on both sidelines for the second half. Congrats to Tech on that win. The Mountaineers looked as if they were going to be miracle men at the end, converting one 4th down after another. But The Hokies stood tall, and prevented an overtime scenario.

As for UCLA/Texas A&M ... What?! :arrow: Just, What :!: :?:
How do you get up to a 44 - 10 lead ... then lose the game?

I guess that is what happens when you are coached by Kevin Sumlin.

I don't know if the Aggies fell asleep being up so far, they just lost interest. Or if it became a dastardly effort at keeping the team motivated by the coaching staff. Or-or, If UCLA was sleepwalking through the first half, and the giant woke up. Or-or-Or [I'm starting to sound like a seal here], The halftime adjustments made by the Bruins were just to darned complex for A&M, and the game simply flipped the other way.

Whatever happened, there are going to be a whole lot of rumblings in College Station, come this post Labor Day weekend.

What a ridiculous turn of events ... though, yet again, how exciting for us College Football fans.

Sorry nfl ... you still do not intrigue me any.

Let's not forget ... there is one game left, tonight.

Georgia Tech / Tennessee --- here's hoping for an enthusiastic competitive game by both programs, and finish off this opening weekend with some flair.

Cane... [__]

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Both games Sunday night were exciting. I was mostly tuned in to the Va Tech game, esp given the large spread of the other but I agree, What Happened?!? I came back when UCLA scored 31, then it was 38 but looked like A&M was going to march down and restore order with a TD. I actually thought they had scored but didnt happen and UCLA capped off an incredible comeback. Pac 12 is only perfect conference in the nation for the weekend, granted Or State lost the previous one. Wont put much into that, since they also didnt face any top 20 team, unlike most others. USC really struggled with Western Michigan. Go ahead TD followed by an immediate pick 6 opened that one up. I'm sure everyone saw the highlight of the blind snapper. That was a great moment so kuddos USC. Western Michigan looks like they will still be the class of the MAC, new coach, new QB, but team looked solid.

Baylor thats just a mess down there. These bears look more like the ones so accustomed to Big 8 days. Their time in the sun may have set for a while. Its not even just football at this point, the school/athletic dept just a mess. Met Kim Mulkey at a minor league baseball game this summer. Her son plays for the local Low A Peoria Chiefs. She was very nice to my daughter and I. I'm not close to the program but from an outsider prospective she could've done more. Who knows, I'm sure it was a very difficult position to be in.

Hopefully tonight's game can also be an entertaining one. I'm not sure what to expect from Tennessee this year but we should find out about their run defense.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Yeah, I do not know what really to expect from Tennessee tonight, either.

I took Ga Tech in my predictions, though, not necessarily because I believe they are a better team. Rather, it more so has to do with my reflex to pick the Vols. I am generally skeptical of preseason rankings, and Tennessee is one of the reasons why. They keep getting gifted a higher praise than they usually deserve, and as the season goes forward, the Volunteers prove to be media hype.

Last year they were fairly decent. And Dobbs @ QB seemed to have them headed in the right direction. I'm sure Dormady is a potential play maker. Just, I keep finding myself trying to shrug off the constant yet to be earned praise, by espn, Tennessee is always adorned with. Only to find myself buying in before we see them play ... this time I'm siding on the air of caution. I wanna see it before I believe it, this time.

Cane... [__]

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 am

Man I hate playing WVU!!! I was glad when we stopped playing them yearly. I don't know how many times WVU spoiled a great season for VT. They were a miracle drive by Vick from knocking us out of that National Championship game.

Good news is that Josh Jackson (QB) is a gamer. I think it puts Tech in the mix for the ACC. I'd still say Clemson is the favorite but I think Tech is in the discussion.

Seeing the WVU guy hit our RB directly in the knee reminds me of the rivalry history. It was dirty, bloody and generally season defining in terms of title runs and injuries.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:31 pm

The Tennessee/GT game turned out to be better than I thought. Did you see? GT had the ball for 41 friggin' minutes. And Tennessee wins. That was crazy. I mean some hour long TV shows minus commercials don't last 41 minutes.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:The Tennessee/GT game turned out to be better than I thought. Did you see? GT had the ball for 41 friggin' minutes. And Tennessee wins. That was crazy. I mean some hour long TV shows minus commercials don't last 41 minutes.

Couldnt agree more. Seemed most of Tennessee "offense" was throw it up and hope we out jump them. It worked a few times and in the end that RB started finding some gaps. Dont see that being a great recipe for conference success tho. That triple option is fun to watch when its run properly.

Vileborg wrote:Good news is that Josh Jackson (QB) is a gamer. I think it puts Tech in the mix for the ACC. I'd still say Clemson is the favorite but I think Tech is in the discussion.

Va Tech is certainly in the running for the division. No real clear favorite but they are making an early case for it. Seen several times just how crazy those conf title games can be. Jackson looked good, if he continues to improve this team will be in great shape. All in all it was an entertaining EXTENDED 1st weekend. Crazy upsets, remarkable comebacks. Glad to be back.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Wacky weekend to start the season majority, for sure.

I wasn't very happy with Miami's performance either ... down by 3 to Bethune Cookman for the better part of the first quarter, only to tie the game (3 -3) with 3:19 left in the opening 15 mins ... we started pulling away after the 13:31 mark the following quarter, putting up 3 TD's in the 2cnd. But overall, this team should have never gotten 350 yard of offense on us.

Derek, are you going to make the trip to South Bend?

If you are, I'll see about my availability, and show you how to get around here, avoiding most of the Stadium traffic.

Unfortunately no, I was thinking about it, but no one wanted to go with me, so I didn't really try to get tickets. :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”