College World Series 2017

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: College World Series 2017

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:37 am

What gives me some hope for my guys is that they did sweep Louisville this year....in Louisville.

The team is much better since mid season....

Is Oregon State's Heimlich pitching? I assume so, and Oregon State will be hard to beat....he has had one heck of a year (as has Oregon State).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 am

No, Luke Heimlich will not be pitching. It came to light publicly last week, before the super regionals, that as a 15 year old he sexually assaulted a 6 year old relative. He plead guilty and is a registered sex offender. When it became publicly known he asked to be excused from playing. He did not and will not play. A google will tell you more about the story than anyone wants to know. The point made is he never hid his conviction, the school didn't know and now the national issue is should any athlete with a violent and or sex felony be allowed to play NCAA sports.

A lot of sides to this question but the victim's side needs to be championed too. Heimlich looks to be blackballed from MLB as he was not selected yesterday in the first 75 drafted and was listed two weeks ago as the number 3 pick.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh...Well...Oregon State has had a historic baseball year...while he was the ace...he wasn't the team....The combination of hitting and pitching for the Beavers has led to a season that I don't think that I'll see repeated in my lifetime....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:03 am

I think OSU will be in the hunt. They have great defense, hitting and deep pitching.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Oregon State v Cal Fullerton was a great game. OSU down 5 to 1 in the 7th came back to tie it up and took a one run lead in the 8th won 6 to 5. Some great defense on both teams. What a great facility in Omaha.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:45 am

And FSU was uo the whole game until the bottom of the 8th...tough loss,,,but it was expected....

The graphic that stood out to me....33 of the last 36 CWS winners, won their first game.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:51 am

I watched the FSU LSU game. This was the quintessential game of taking advantage of opportunities. I think Oregon State will beat LSU and FSU will beat Cal Fullerton.

I will be on the side of Louisville beats A & M and Florida beats TCU.......the latter teams two I dislike most in the country in football...

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

The jinx sat quietly...until...three errors on the same play allowing LSU to plate the tying run. weird stuff...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/17/1582 ... re-why-not

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

That's why I think FSU will advance. 1 three run homer..happens. and three error on one play...and they were just good honest errors...anomaly.

Louisville and Florida......

Should be a good match up all the way around.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:42 am

LSU was thrashed. I think they will physically too tired to play FSU.

Oregon States catcher Adley Rutchman's grandfather Ad Rutschman was my high school baseball coach ( I was a terrible player). He went to Linfield College where Rutschman's football teams won three NAIA Division II national championships, reached the postseason playoffs 13 times and won 15 conference titles. He retired from coaching football in 1991 with a career record of 183-48-3 (.788). From 1971 to 1983, Rutschman coached the baseball program, leading the Wildcats to six conference championships and seven NAIA District 2 titles. In his first season as baseball coach, he guided Linfield to the NAIA national championship. He is the only college coach at any level to take a team in football and baseball to win National Championships.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 am

The OSU-LSU game looked a lot different than the OSU-CS Fullerton game....further down the pitching rotation for LSU and it wasn't pretty...and the Beavers were deeper in pitching.

Oregon State has some hitters....

FSU? Well, it wasn't two and cue....looks like three and whee!

The Noles have faced elimination five times so far in post season....not a very good team, but they scrap. Staying alive.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 am

I think Cal Fullerton was a better team than two losses indicated. If LSU doesn't get at least six good innings out of Pooche', I think they will fall to a "scrappy" LSU team. FSU had two bad plays against LSU. The three run dinger and the three muffs in one play. That won't happen again.

Oregon State gets three days rest. more positive than not.

I see Louisville beating Florida. I think the Cardinals have a deep bull pen.

I am not sure it is my TV or what...but that stadium is great. Also I think the umpiring has been very good. Can the beach balls.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 pm

The TD Ameritrade looks great....has had good size crowds for the games.

I don't know if it is the angles of the TV when it shows the stadium from home plate...but the park looks huge compared to the on campus parks common in college baseball.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 am

Well...I wonder if FSU, at least, didn't set a new post season record...playing in six post season elimination games....

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 am

That is some kind of record. I thought the term "scrappy" is exactly correct. Pooche' was everything he needed to be. FSU did not give up, I had hope in the 9th. I was so wrong about LSU. Maybe it was just hope against blindness, I thought they would be down but not so. I can't see Oregon State losing two games in a row, but maybe so. TCU, my least favorite school in the country, is a solid team and I think they will be in the hunt but I am pulling for Louisville, a team I like, they too are scrappy.

Return to “Off-Topic”