Ohio State - Clemson

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Ohio State - Clemson

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:04 pm

Glad I didn't go to Phoenix for this one. At least the defense showed up. Of course they have all year. The Offensive line held up ok tonight. This is not on them. Clemson is just better.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State - Clemson

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 pm

I think there was a similarity between both semi-final games. Washington and Ohio State played hard, think they did the best they could...their opponents were just better teams this year.

My guess. Bama by 21
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:27 am

I think that is right. Ohio State couldn't get their receivers open and when they did, they dropped the ball. Webber fumbled twice and had a dropped ball. Durbin missed two field goals. I thought the offensive line played ok. Clemsons defensive line was just better. I thought most of JT's problems weren't his doing.

I thought the defense played great. They held up until just into the fourth quarter and considering they were on the field all but 41 plays to that point they were very good.

The teams that deserved to win did win. The championship game will have the two best teams in the playoff. That is the goal.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:43 am

I think folks were overlooking Clemson's defense this year while the talk was about Deshaun Watson...their quickness was more than the Buckeyes could handle. When you are shut out, the other defense is dominating.

When you hold a team to 207 total yards, you are playing defense.

And Clemson rushed for over twice the yards that the Buckeyes did, and also passed for twice the yards...it was a really good showing for the Tigers.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm

It was, though the lion share of their rushing yards were in the 4th quarter, it all counts. Unfortunately Northwestern's defense was quicker than the Buckeye offense too this year. It is why I have been complaining about them all year.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Clemson's defense has been on and off all year. They were on Saturday. I'd wager they'll be off for the national title game. On these big stages with elite teams squaring off, I feel like it's often the defenses that choke first (like last year's edition). I think Clemson/Bama Part 2 will be played in the 30's.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Eric wrote:Clemson's defense has been on and off all year. They were on Saturday. I'd wager they'll be off for the national title game. On these big stages with elite teams squaring off, I feel like it's often the defenses that choke first (like last year's edition). I think Clemson/Bama Part 2 will be played in the 30's.

I think if it is played in the mid 30's Clemson will win.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Clemson must really have a complete passing game to beat Alabama...Watson passed for 405 yards last year.....I think Saban has been scheming and practicing to stop Clemson'e passing game.

It would surprise me if Clemson equals last year's production.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:07 pm

I watched pieces of this game while I was on vacation in the Florida Keys. I can not believe how this turned out. Total shock.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 am

billybud wrote:Clemson must really have a complete passing game to beat Alabama...Watson passed for 405 yards last year.....I think Saban has been scheming and practicing to stop Clemson'e passing game.

It would surprise me if Clemson equals last year's production.

You nailed it as to what Clemson needed to do....as for the other...this was classic.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:50 am

Spence wrote:
Eric wrote:Clemson's defense has been on and off all year. They were on Saturday. I'd wager they'll be off for the national title game. On these big stages with elite teams squaring off, I feel like it's often the defenses that choke first (like last year's edition). I think Clemson/Bama Part 2 will be played in the 30's.

I think if it is played in the mid 30's Clemson will win.

Which is precisely what happened.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 am

Bama has a great defense...but they didn't play that deep in their roster....and they were tired in the 4th qtr...

But, saying that...I don't know if anyone can stop elite receivers who go up for the ball and keep it in their hands....Clemson's receivers made some spectacular catches high..and low.

Return to “General Discussion”