Florida State TTUn

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Florida State TTUn

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 am

Davin Cook is tearing it up tonight. Nice way to go out. He is fun to watch.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Florida State TTUn

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:42 am

I was just going to give Michigan credit for coming back and Harbaugh decides to let Florida State have a shot at returning it. HAHA.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:54 am

Great game to watch for football fans. Florida State deserved to win the game. Jimbo Fisher out coach JH in this game. Dalvin Cook played great.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:57 am

another classic bowl game....a thriller....

defense,,,big plays....down to the wire at the end...a fan's game
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:01 am

Is it just me and my bad heart..or does FSU seem to have an inordinate number of these cardiac games?

Bear Auburn in the NC with 15 seconds on the clock...had to hold Michigan short of field goal range with a minute and change on the clock...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 am

They get their share of thrillers. It was a fun game to watch for fans. I think even most Michigan fans will admit to that.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:10 am

Spence wrote:It was a fun game to watch for fans. I think even most Michigan fans will admit to that.

Maybe if we won a big game once in a while, I would admit to that. At least then it's not all bad, but it's literally all bad with Michigan football, so even entertaining losses on a big stage that keep you at the edge of your seat are just so unfathomably painful that you can't even acknowledge it. Michigan football program is just the embodiment of a slug in the gut, over and over and over again. It's gotten old, so I'm desensitized to it because I'm dead inside. But that's neither here nor there :D

Congrats, Billybud. I wish Michigan could play Michigan in a big bowl game, because at least our opponent would choke the game away, preferably on special teams. I think Arkansas and Michigan need to get together so at least when one teams blows it in heartbreaking fashion, at least Doss and I won't both be irritated. 8)
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:11 am

At least I got to update my signature. We've now devolved to 7-24 in our biggest games dating back to 2005. It sure is great being a Michigan fan! Lots of highs! :D

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:29 am

I think the perfect encapsulation of Michigan in bowl games is an image of somebody like Glasgow, on the defensive line, running backwards while the play is happening 50 yards downfield. You should ideally never see the defensive lineman's jersey number trotting downfield in a hopeless attempt to stay in the play, but I've seen that over and over again in bowl games and against Ohio State. The most irritating thing about this Michigan team is that we play 97% of a good game, but the other 3% is just like nuclear meltdown levels of incompetence. It's one thing to make mistakes over the course of a game or for another team to earn their due by making good plays, FSU did enough of that in this game. But it's another thing to lose contain and miss tackles and give guys 70 yard runs on 3rd and 22 and have a late starting kick returner take it downfield for 70 yards because some idiot special teams 3rd string linebacker thinks they can take out a 6'6 220 pound guy running full steam ahead with a shoulder bump while people haplessly run around expecting everyone else to make a tackle on the guy. Or with a miscommunication in coverage that allows for a 92 yard touchdown when you have them starting where you want them, on the 8 yard line.

Other than that, Michigan was making good catches and getting a tremendous amount of pressure on Francois in the second half. You wouldn't know it looking at Cook's box score, but Michigan did a great job containing him outside of that 70 yard run. And I know that's a lot like, "I pitched a decent game outside of that grand slam I gave up," but that's qualitatively different than being unable to stop a RB from picking up 5-6 yards automatically every time he touches the ball. They were in the game from start to finish and probably should have even won the game. I thought Harbaugh was supposed to end this stupid crap that they do, but it hasn't stopped them yet.

Now if you want to know why I picked FSU to win the game, what happened tonight was exactly why I did it. I figured both teams would not be able to stop the opposing teams' defensive lines, but FSU had a clear edge in explosiveness. Francois made a huge mistake with the INT and Michigan worked themselves into some good field position for most of the game, but our offense was terrible, as predicted. Outside of those 3 nuclear meltdown busted plays on defense, they played a very good game. The difference was the huge catch by Cook on the first drive, the huge run by Cook in the 4th quarter, and the huge kick return. That was it. FSU had one more huge play in the game compared to Michigan, and that was the difference. The Achilles heel of Michigan and the dirty little secret of why they will never win at a major level until they get an NFL-material QB like Andrew Luck running the offense is because they play for 10 yards at a time with 3 downs at their disposal. This is insane. The college game is about busted plays and mental errors. That's it. Offensive players make their biggest plays when defenses miss assignments or lose contain or trip or try to arm tackle. That's the secret. It's not living on the edge 6 times per drive, pray that you go 6/6 on 3rd down over the course of a 20-play drive, all so you can cash in on 7 points while your opponent scores a 40 yard touchdown on a drive that takes 6 plays to hit paydirt. Michigan had to convert so many 3rd and mediums with a crap QB and with a defense playing man-to-man with receivers that get no separation where they have to make these Herculean efforts to haul in a pass for 8 yards. College football shouldn't be like that. It's never easy for Michigan's offense. We lack the possibility of explosive plays because we limit ourselves with our idiotic scheme. This is great in the NFL because taking risks doesn't pay off at a high enough rate for it to be effective. You're constraining yourself in college if you play with this mentality. It's why we kicked 3 field goals in the red zone. The goal isn't to get to 3rd down and medium, drop a pass, and punt and pray you live another quarter. The goal is to move the chains on second down and hopefully hit a couple plays downfield for 20, 30, 40 yards. THAT'S WHAT COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS ABOUT. THAT IS HOW YOU SCORE POINTS. If you drop the pass on 3rd down or are stuffed on 3rd and 2, you're dead. It's over. PUNT. You lost the possession. You're behind schedule. Ohio State doesn't dink around and pray that they convert 6 3rd downs per drive so they can score a touchdown. They bomb it downfield 50 yards. Clemson plays 20-30 yards downfield with Williams and Scott and Leggett. Alabama can pick up 6 yards on the ground whenever they want to and Hurts can run for first downs easily. Michigan meanwhile runs on first down, incomplete on second down, and now it's pray to the Almighty that Chesson or Darboh can haul in this pass with a DB draped around his back.

And before Michigan fans whine about the offside no-call (I called offside right when the snap occurred), what do they honestly think Wilton Speight of all people was going to do with 4th and 5 at his disposal? Michigan was never going to get a first down, they were going to whimper away without gaining a yard on that final drive and everybody in the stadium knew it. So who cares at the end of the day.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:37 am

Michigan will be 8-4 next year with losses to Florida, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State. Hopefully Brohm will not have turned Purdue's offense around by next September or else that is a major trap game. Minnesota is always a tough out, even in Ann Arbor. So, we might be looking at 7-5. Florida is going to wreck Michigan in the opener because all of the new starters being broken in aren't going to know what's going on (Florida will have to get better on offense though). Anybody questioning me on this should go on Bovada next September and place a bet on Michigan and let me know how it turns out. :mrgreen: Ask yourself, "is it a big game?" Better yet, "is it away from Ann Arbor?" Ask yourself also, "is it a game that would launch Michigan into title contention mode?" If yes to all 3, then Michigan has a .02% chance of winning.

So, I guess I'll have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs until 2018 when the team will be "Harbaugh's Team, finally" as the apologists will call it after 3 years of futility. Oh great, we're finally going to win the Big 10--I mean, oh wait. We play Ohio State in the Horseshoe. :cry: Let's make it 1-13 over a 14 years span. Okay, let's wait until 2020 to beat Ohio State, I can get behind that. I mean if the Cubs won the World Series and Trump is president, I guess anything can happen.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 am

This was a bowl game that quiets critics like me. Even Mrs. Donovan was cheering during the last half of the fourth quarter. (Cheering for both teams...so annoying; just pick a team, any team...I digress) Congratulations to Mr. Billybud. My two cents worth, Harbaugh is an excellent Macro coach. Fisher an excellent Micro coach. Like most games that seemingly are won on the last play, it was many plays throughout the game that could have made a difference. Cook, I thought was amazing, he runs to daylight as good as any.

Eric, we feel your pain; it is never about one game to true fans, it is the past where the ache of close, but no cigar never ends and the future of the golden ring always gone when your turn comes around. The present is just .....well just another participation ribbon...and one thing we all have in common...none of us want participation ribbons.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:38 am

Eric wrote: I wish Michigan could play Michigan in a big bowl game, because at least our opponent would choke the game away, preferably on special teams. I think Arkansas and Michigan need to get together so at least when one teams blows it in heartbreaking fashion, at least Doss and I won't both be irritated.

You are probably right ... after 7 scoreless overtimes; someone might accidentally kick a field goal between the goal posts.

donovan wrote:Eric, we feel your pain; it is never about one game to true fans, it is the past where the ache of close, but no cigar never ends and the future of the golden ring always gone when your turn comes around. The present is just .....well just another participation ribbon...and one thing we all have in common...none of us want participation ribbons.

I believe, hillary wants her participation ribbon -- I also believe, her supports want the ribbons despite the fact, that they chose not to participate.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 am

Well this is like game 7 this year of me falling asleep at half time and missing a barn burner. :(
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:14 am

Eric....here is a stat to chew on...and I thought my Noles were in tight games...

In four of Harbaugh's six losses, Michigan was ahead in the last minute. And Michigan's three losses this year were by a total of five points.

So close to being undefeated...if the game tilts just a little the Wolverine's way, undefeated season.

When you have so many close losses, it usually means that the cookie will crumble another way if the effort stays the same.

My thought? The same as going in. Speight could be very, very dangerous if he was more mobile. He hurt FSU on third down roll outs where he bought time to find the short/intermediate receiver.

In the pocket, he was a target and could hear the thudding feet of rushing defenders.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:14 am

Eric....here is a stat to chew on...and I thought my Noles were in tight games...

In four of Harbaugh's six losses, Michigan was ahead in the last minute. And Michigan's three losses this year were by a total of five points.

So close to being undefeated...if the game tilts just a little the Wolverine's way, undefeated season.

When you have so many close losses, it usually means that the cookie will crumble another way if the effort stays the same.

My thought? The same as going in. Speight could be very, very dangerous if he was more mobile. He hurt FSU on third down roll outs where he bought time to find the short/intermediate receiver.

In the pocket, he was a target and could hear the thudding feet of rushing defenders.

Return to “General Discussion”