The Big 10...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Big 10...

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Speaking of ten years, this board has changed my way of thinking significantly. I think for the better.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 pm

donovan wrote:
Derek wrote:
Spence wrote:I think we all still believe that you should win your conference to go. No one has argued for Ohio State in the playoff.

Sorry, I was using "you guys" as a generalization for a larger swath of the public.

Ten years ago...I am not sure what I had for breakfast, so I may be guilty.

As I have said ad nauseam, none of this makes any sense to me. If you are not going to put Western Michigan in after you invited them to the drawing, then it is all just big school bullying, avarice and Disney stockholders.

Today was oatmeal and toast. I haven't ate since or that might not have come to recall. Or if I had been working today that would have been overwritten I am sure.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Yeah, I am not sure which way of thinking about it. I see both sides, and it goes round and round. So, Michigan beats Penn State, Ohio State loses to Penn State. Ohio State beats Michigan. Penn State wins the Big Ten. I wonder if this will ever happen again. If so, how often could this come up? I wondered what the committee thought over the last few weeks. Like, look at this decision we have to make now. I also figured right before the final rankings came out, that there was NO WAY, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, the committee was going to keep out two conference champions. I kind of feel like the teams that Michigan lost to and how close the scores were, Michigan might deserve a top 4 ranking. But then again, look at what Washington did in the PAC 12 champs game. Just wondered how much of the fact that the committee didn't want a 2 loss team in the top 4 playing for a national title.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:43 pm

donovan wrote:Speaking of ten years, this board has changed my way of thinking significantly. I think for the better.

Me too.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:57 am

Derek wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EVERY single one of you were for Georgia not going in 07 because they didn't win the conference. They got dropped 2-3 spots when they didn't even play a game once the #2 and #3 teams fell on the last week that year.

Putting OSU in the Playoff is a BIG middle finger to Ga and Penn State, because they are showing (though they might not realize it), that this is about ratings and money, nothing more.

I'm defending PSU after I said the football program should be shut down for a year or two after the JoePa stuff. Never thought I would say that. :wink:

I remember this scenario and, while I was in principle opposed to Georgia going because they didn't win the East that year, I thought what the pollsters did to them was stupid. They dropped because LSU beat Tennessee (if I recall). It wasn't that impressive, yet they catapulted because the pollsters decided they needed a "reset" due to the chaos. That's a joke in and of itself, because the typical way they go about it is it's the next team up more often than not. LSU didn't go head and shoulders above the teams in front of them. If Georgia was outright disqualified from competing for the championship, why were they there in the first place if they're just going to throw the rankings out the final week of the year?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 am

Eric wrote: If Georgia was outright disqualified from competing for the championship, why were they there in the first place if they're just going to throw the rankings out the final week of the year?

...Which is the point every year for half of the 120.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:56 am

Penn State was blasted out of the stadium and lost a game by almost 40 points...you don't look like a play off team when that happens....

And look at poor ole Pitt...who finished 4th in their 7 team division...yet beat both the Big Ten and ACC Champs.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 am

billybud wrote:Penn State was blasted out of the stadium and lost a game by almost 40 points...you don't look like a play off team when that happens....

And look at poor ole Pitt...who finished 4th in their 7 team division...yet beat both the Big Ten and ACC Champs.

I agree, but they had a lot of players out for that game. Penn State is a different team now. That may have been why the committee held them back, but the committee is wrong to look at that team as indicative of that Penn State today.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:02 am

WoVeU wrote:My position was that the Buckeyes should be in. But I am going by the simple statement of them selecting the best 4 teams, with no acsolute criterion set. I would be good with PSU going, but the committee should declare a conference championship is requried. And I think it should be, as odd as that may sound.

I think it would be a good idea to clarify the point with rules. Whether it's required to be CC or not, put it in writing.

They did the same thing in 2012 with Bama and LSU, so it's not the first time I've got my feathers ruffled at the double standard. :)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Penn State was blasted out of the stadium and lost a game by almost 40 points...you don't look like a play off team when that happens....

I agree, but they had a lot of players out for that game. Penn State is a different team now. That may have been why the committee held them back, but the committee is wrong to look at that team as indicative of that Penn State today.

I too, wrote off OSU's lost to Penn State as a fluke. I didn't think Penn State was really any good, and OSU got caught sleeping, and benefiting from name recognition in rankings.

They have since proved me wrong.....which I usually am.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:30 am

I can't say that Penn State and Wisconsin haven't looked impressive down the stretch, but I'm wagering on the Big 10 doing yet another faceplant in the postseason. I'd have to check the records on this, but I'd be curious when the last time the Big 10 had a winning record during bowl season. This conference hardly ever wins high-profile games to a large degree. That's why all of these people picking Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin are going to be disappointed. I mean pick one or two at the most, but I'm looking at the ESPN percentages and the fans are favoring all four of these teams. That's a losing ticket if I've ever seen one.

The MAC is the same way. They're going to get steamrolled this postseason, although I like Western's and Toledo's chances. Miami OH vs. Mississippi State will be weirdly competitive, I'm thinking MSU wins somewhere between 15-20 points (I'd take the under). Ohio and Troy will be competitive, but Troy will slide by Ohio (who never wins bowl games). Central is going to get pounded by Tulsa. A lot of people like Eastern over Old Dominion just because of the story. EMU is a highly improved team from last year, but I don't think these people have seen Old Dominion play this year at all. They are solid.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 am

Eric wrote:I can't say that Penn State and Wisconsin haven't looked impressive down the stretch, but I'm wagering on the Big 10 doing yet another faceplant in the postseason. I'd have to check the records on this, but I'd be curious when the last time the Big 10 had a winning record during bowl season. This conference hardly ever wins high-profile games to a large degree. That's why all of these people picking Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin are going to be disappointed. I mean pick one or two at the most, but I'm looking at the ESPN percentages and the fans are favoring all four of these teams. That's a losing ticket if I've ever seen one.

The MAC is the same way. They're going to get steamrolled this postseason, although I like Western's and Toledo's chances. Miami OH vs. Mississippi State will be weirdly competitive, I'm thinking MSU wins somewhere between 15-20 points (I'd take the under). Ohio and Troy will be competitive, but Troy will slide by Ohio (who never wins bowl games). Central is going to get pounded by Tulsa. A lot of people like Eastern over Old Dominion just because of the story. EMU is a highly improved team from last year, but I don't think these people have seen Old Dominion play this year at all. They are solid.

I agree. The experts are touting the big ten as being the toughest conference this year. I tend to think that isn't true based on what I have seen. I know Ohio State is beatable and I don't think they beat Clemson just based on Barrett not being able to operate the offense because of pitiful line play. Michigan doesn't have an offense either, but they can when with good defense and a punter that can flip the field position on people, but Florida State has the athletes capable of scoring points on Michigan and Michigan can't catch up if they get behind. Wisconsin is also lacking in offense but they will probably be OK. Penn State is the wild card. McSorley throws a lot of high deep 50/50 type balls, but their receivers seem to come down with them more often than not. Barkley is very good. Their defense while not elite, is very respectable. They can beat any one on the right day, but if their receivers struggle they will get their butts handed to them.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:04 pm

There are only 10 teams in the power 5 that have 10 wins and 4 of those teams are in the B10.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Vileborg wrote:There are only 10 teams in the power 5 that have 10 wins and 4 of those teams are in the B10.

There are, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the best. There is really no way to know how you match up unless you play a wider group of teams from different conferences.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Or scrap it all for conference championships. But that would be fair and may not squeeze every last farthing from the gullible masses.

Return to “General Discussion”