Michigan vs FSU?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Michigan vs FSU?

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:25 am

Several bowl projections have Michigan and FSU paired up in the Orange Bowl...several more have Louisville as the other half.

FSU vs Michigan would be great for this Nole fan. That would be an interesting match....FSU's defense has progressed since the first five games...as an example, FSU's 3rd down defense was ranked #102, and has moved up to #17 in spite of the ugly start. Since the first five games, FSU has also improved 85 spots in ranking for yards per play given up.

Florida has a pretty good defense...they held LSU to 10, South Carolina to 7, Mizzou to 14, Georgia and Arkansas to 10, and Vandy to 6. I felt better about FSU's bowl chances after seeing them move the ball on the Gators.

A great Michigan team vs a rebounding FSU...FSU is #1 in Red Zone scoring and #1 in Sacks...#12 in time of possession....but also #127 in penalty yards.

PSSST!

Attn Bowl Opponent...Florida never blitzed...teams give FSU fits when they blitz.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Michigan vs FSU?

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 am

Michigan Blitz's a lot. They have had something like 40 sacks this year. If you get a lot of Penalty yards maybe Harbaugh won't have such a fit afterwards if you beat him.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 am

It would be a great game. I would expect Michigan's defense to do a great job and Speight will be horrible as always, but if he makes the easy throws, we can at least score 20 on Florida State. Whether that's enough to win, I don't know. Our defense would have to do a stellar job to keep FSU around 20 points.

It's a possibility that our team has had enough at this point and doesn't see the need to keep playing or practicing seriously for the next month. I mean, maybe I'm not a top-notch competitor but if I were a redshirt senior and I ended my career 0-5 against Ohio State I would probably just want to quit too. How much battering can your ego take?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:27 am

It'll honestly be tough for me to care about the game. Not because the matchup isn't interesting or prestigious, because it is. But the season is a bit of mess at this point, losing 2 of the last 3 (think if we didn't lose to Iowa, we'd still be alive for playoff). Another loss in the bowl game would just make the season into a massive disaster. And losing to Ohio State is exhausting at this point.

Let's put it this way, if we were 9-2 and beat Ohio State to get into the Orange Bowl, then I'd be excited.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Eric wrote:It's a possibility that our team has had enough at this point and doesn't see the need to keep playing or practicing seriously for the next month. I mean, maybe I'm not a top-notch competitor but if I were a redshirt senior and I ended my career 0-5 against Ohio State I would probably just want to quit too. How much battering can your ego take?

Harbaugh will not let that happen. He is a motivator, and will push this team. Regardless who Michigan's opponent winds up being; I think they are in for a fight.

If Harbaugh gears the engines towards taking it out on the next guy, rather than,"well, we did our best, boys", then the Wolverines won't just be looking to win, but make a statement.

Bowl games are your last on field chance at showing recruits why they should flip, and what they could be playing for. No way Michigan won't be ready.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 pm

I worry about some of FSU's stars...especially the Running Back and Defensive End...playing not to get hurt before the NFL combines/draft. Millions are at stake for them.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 pm

billybud wrote:I worry about some of FSU's stars...especially the Running Back and Defensive End...playing not to get hurt before the NFL combines/draft. Millions are at stake for them.

That is the case for most teams, especially this time of year.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 am

No one wants to get hurt at any time. To not play with full intent is a matter of character no matter of what justification. Pro teams will not be fooled.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:47 am

Ob second thought. I don't worry about RB Dalvin Cook. He will play even if injured....he tends to suck it up and keep plugging with the ball.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:38 am

billybud wrote:Ob second thought. I don't worry about RB Dalvin Cook. He will play even if injured....he tends to suck it up and keep plugging with the ball.

My money is on FSU in these late games. I am not a competitive person, I have spent a good part of my life eschewing competition. I don't think it is a requirement or an essential ingredient in anything; certainly not in the free enterprise system or social relationships. (I know this sometimes leads to a lot of questions and examples, but for now this is sufficient.)

My point is this, I know there are competitive people, people are taught competition in more ways than there are recipes for meatloaf. FSU is a great competitive team and every player will give their utmost. It is their training. If they were going to lay down because of a future goal, they would have washed out of the program long ago. I say this respectfully.

So, overlooking a tinge of sarcasm, I could be wrong, I going with FSU.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 pm

billybud wrote:Ob second thought. I don't worry about RB Dalvin Cook. He will play even if injured....he tends to suck it up and keep plugging with the ball.

Cook is one of my favorite college players.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:19 am

But don't be fooled that kids don't understand the risk of an injury right before the draft....at a program like FSU, the top kids have been aiming for a NFL career since 8th grade...preparing through years of sweat.

And they know that a torn up knee could cost them a draft spot and millions.

"Sadly, the same couldn’t be said for the 2015 Butkus Award winner, Notre Dame star linebacker Jaylon Smith.

The junior early entry was a surefire top-10 pick until midway through the first quarter of the New Year’s Day Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. Smith got shoved from behind on a run play, tried to regain his balance and his knee twisted and bent awkwardly.

On the first day of the combine, Smith tweeted a video of himself walking without a crutch. It showed the significant progress he had made, but it was clear he still had a fairly significant hitch in his giddy-up while simply walking.“Well, there was no question heading into that Fiesta Bowl that he was a top-10 pick, even top-five. It could eventually cost him a draft pick in the top 20,” Zierlein surmised Thursday evening.

“I’m truly concerned about Smith’s injury. It happened much later in the season and then we’re talking about multiple injuries all in one,” Zierlein noted.

What’s the impact? How much could it cost Smith in the short term? Let’s say Smith drops just 10 spots from No. 10 to 20. In that best-case scenario, he still stands to lose millions.

The difference between pick #10 and #20 was a 50% cut in contract amount.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:11 am

I know it has an impact on what they think. I believe it cost Ohio State a national championship last season.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:21 am

All of these are such valid argument to stop the National Championship fiasco.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:21 am

Reminds me of Professional Wrestling...make it look good, but we have a show tomorrow.

Return to “General Discussion”