Torture

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Torture

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't want to give up too soon, but it looks like it's going to be another 365 days :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Re: Torture

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Michigan is getting completely jobbed by the refs in this game. Phanton holding on Michigan, Ohio State snap infractions, Ohio State lined up offsides, and missed holding call against Michigan on an Ohio State 15 yard run. That's four terrible calls against Michigan and zero against OSU. There might have been a missed facemask on JT Barrett, but I didn't see it.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:15 pm

21-10 and Ohio State has the ball now. Fat lady is warming up :cry:

This is what I hate about Michigan's conservative offense. No explosion whatsoever and when you play for 10 yards at a time, you're going to be punting often. College football is a game of big plays, and this group just can't get it done. They're 9/14 on 3rd down in this game, which is in and of itself a minor miracle. No way they can win this game right now with Ohio State's offense running the way it is. This is going to be the downside in the Harbaugh scheme, because we're just not going to have the kind of explosion that Ohio State has, ever. Every time Ohio State gets the ball, they can score. I know it hasn't worked out that way this year, but you have Urban Meyer. You have a big fast stud running back and a QB that can pick up 60 yards if he gets loose. That's how you score in the college game.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Wow, good job Michigan. Northern Illinois put up a better fight than you guys have. It's not even a rivalry at this point. Just horrible.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:38 pm

I was a poorly called game. That is kind of standard issue for the Big10 this year. I didn't see it as one sided as you did. There were several pass interference calls that didn't get called and the non fumble fumble by Ruddock'. The ball was sitting on his shoulder before his knee touched. This whole year the officials have been bad. This game was no different. Last week Michigan State's go ahead touchdown happened because they called Bosa for jumping early when he clearly got back. Bad calls happen, though, and those are the breaks.

Michigan's offense was lots better than I had thought. Ruddock's has progressed leaps and bounds under Harbaugh. There is no denying he is a great coach and will be for many years. Ohio State will win their share, but the period of Ohio State controlling the rivalry are over. That is how is should be.

Ohio State removed Beck from calling the plays and offensively they played very well today. I would have liked to see more passes, but with the way Elliott was running it was hard not to call his number. Elliott won't won the Heisman, but he will have the best pro career of any back coming out this year. He does what ever the coaches ask him to do. He is any every down, everything back. I hate to see him go.

Good game Eric. I think the stage is set for an interesting next few years. Ohio Stste is losing a ton this year. Michigan is on the up swing. It is going to be fun in the coming years.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 pm

That is all I could tell myself during this game. Michigan has to be on the up and up. But I was severely upset that it was this lopsided especially in Ann Arbor. Next year...

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Spence wrote:Good game Eric.

I know you're trying to be a good sport, but I find this statement highly debatable :lol: :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:20 pm

My post on the officiating was only through the first half. I agree on the Rudock fumble, I was amazed that they got the ball back. If he's out, then don't pick Michigan to win their bowl game (probably Citrus Bowl against Florida or Ole Miss). We won't have a prayer, which is saying something because I still don't think Rudock is that good. He did get better, but throwing deep balls is still an issue and Darboh and Chesson keep being relied on to make difficult catches on 3rd and medium.

I actually think we will not be in great shape next season. Next year's squad will probably resemble this one. Michigan State will be rebuilding so I think Harbaugh will finally get a win in a game that actually matters, but I don't think we get Ohio State next year, so the pain will continue. We really need a QB who can go out and throw some deep balls in order to mix up our offense a little. That QB is not on the current roster. Believe me, these Michigan optimists will be touting John O'Korn and Harbaugh might be on the cover of Sports Illustrated or ESPN the Magazine as the writers pick Michigan to win the playoff, but there's a reason why O'Korn lost his starting job to a converted WR (that person being Greg Ward, who turned out to be pretty good). I remember him throwing 3 picks against Texas San Antonio, and if he doesn't get the job, then we're relying on Speight or Morris or a freshman, and if those guys aren't better than Rudock is now, then we don't win the Big 10. We're still going to have a severely limited offense that will cost us games. We get Iowa and Wisconsin from the West next year. It'll be another transition season. I'm not buying the hype yet.

Say what you want, but I really do honestly think the jury is still out on Harbaugh. Not on whether or not he is a good coach, he obviously is. But on whether or not he's "the guy." And by that, I mean the elite of the elite like people are touting him as being. Right now, I would probably say that designation can only be applied to Meyer, Saban, and maybe Bob Stoops. What we do know is that he recruited a stud NFL QB and rode him to a couple of BCS appearances. We should be happy that we have Harbaugh, but people thinking he's going to bring title after title are a little on the rose-colored-glasses side of things. He might, but there's a chance he might repeat what Lloyd Carr did. Who knows. And it doesn't help us that one of those three elite coaches is on the other side of this rivalry. I've been telling some Michigan buddies of mine not to get carried away because if Harbaugh gets us turned around and playing at an elite level, that's not a guarantee that he'll beat Ohio State and turn the tide. You can flip a coin five times and get tails five times. You've made it a contest, but losing is a still a real obvious possibility. There's a slight chance that we keep getting drubbed in this.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:28 pm

I think today was our largest margin of victory on a Harbaugh team. Sure Michigan could lose a game they should have won. That happened to Ohio State under Cooper, but Ohio State isn't going to continue to dominate this game like they have been since the late 90's. Michigan made two bad hires. Rodriguez football doesn't play well in Novenber in the Big10 and Hoke was in over his head. That ship is righted. I don't think Harbaugh and Meter will be Woody and Bo, but they did come from that coaching stock.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:30 pm

That win probably got Ohio State a Rose Bowl berth. How sad is it that going to the Rose Bowl is the stinky alternative.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:38 am

Ahh...OK...so you don't make the play off and get the Rose for a consolation prize. What a deal!

LOL...that is what the CFP has done to the other bowl games. Just a little shine has been taken off even the biggest bowl of all.

And many of the lesser bowls are just football games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:45 am

I agree. We all new this was going to happen, but it is still sad to see. In the B10 it used to be the Rose or nothing and now no one seems to care. Yeah, we don't get another shot at the championship. Newsflash- we weren't going to get there anyway. The Buckeyes don't have a vertical passing game and that is a problem against teams that play gap defense like Michigan State and Alabama. It has been obvious all year to anyone how has watched Ohio State play.

Like I said at the beginning of the year, we got ours last year. It is very hard to repeat. You have to have the players, the attitude, and some luck. We had most of the players, but not the attitude or the luck. It was a good season. We have one more year with JT and even though the Bucks lose a lot this year, the wheels will keep turning.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:14 am

The overwhelming majority of my friends get behind a college football team and know absolutely nothing about football or any of the "stuff" we discuss. They go to some games, have the TV on and make really good hors d'oeuvres. Some even write checks because they get a "cool" window sticker or season tickets they can give away every game. On New Year's day you would think they were Lou Holtz clones. On the second of January, its over, done, kaput. They have no idea who is playing for some NC, if it is not their team and if they go to a game it will be basketball, which they also do not understand because it is warm. Bowls are becoming irrelevant to fans and non fans alike if it is not on the 1st of January. Even in our house, football has to take second place to anything that has to do with grandkids, and you better do it with a smile on your face.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 am

Turn, turn, turn....For everything there is a season...

After decades of sitting in Doak Campbell stadium with the Noles, I now watch on TV. I see more football now but at a certain remove. My 31 year old son has inherited my place at the stadium but is contemplating giving up the tickets because he does not want to pay my booster fee and I have told him that he is big, bad, and ugly enough to do so. TV seems to be fine for him as well.

He came up to the mountains to spend Thanksgiving with us and we watched football together (he is now living in my house in Tallahassee, a caretaker of sorts. I prefer to call it care taker, it sounds nicer than freeloader). In the last year, we have only returned to Tallahassee for doctor's visits since we love the mountains.

As we watched a set of games all day and into the late evening, talking, eating, laughing...I marveled at how much joy we took in watching football together.

Football for me is different than it has been in the past, and I am different as well...but it is all for the good.

Turn, turn, turn....I had an image of me as a boy watching, in black and white in the way, way back with my dad, the Ohio State-Michigan game and thought that he would be very pleased seeing his legacy.

When my wife hollered,,"Jimbo, run the quarterback out and throw back, we can't push the middle" and he did just that...we all laughed and high fived. A close family and football is still what we enjoy....just on TV.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 am

I don't go to as many games as I used to. I have kept my tickets even though the prices for the big games on the schedule are out of control. I don't go to hardly any road games anymore. If Ohio State makes the Rose then I will think about going on that trip one more time. Only because it is the Rose Bowl. My oldest is getting ready for college, my younger two are full into everything and that doesn't leave me with as much time as I would like. Even my time on the golf course is less as a player now and more as a coach. I said I wouldn't coach anymore, for any reason, almost 20 years ago because of the time involved, but here I go again. Never say never.

I still watch lots of games. I either record them or watch them after a game at the Varsity Club or BDubs before heading home. I'm only an hour from the stadium so and I have a good place to park where I can get out fairly quickly afterwards if I want so it isn't hard to be home an hour and a half after games. I still love college football. I have lots of teams I follow from around the country. I can't imagine it won't always be a hobby of mine. It is less of an obsession though. Life gets in the way all to often. My kids play Golf, Soccer, Futsal, and Basketball during parts of the CFB season and it can get tough to do everything and fit in time for football.

I'm glad the B10 is turning things around. I can even entertain the idea that Ohio State not being in the conference championship or the playoff as being a positive for the conference. I think the bowls will play out to show the big ten is making strides as a conference.

Return to “General Discussion”