The Big Red Machine

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

The Big Red Machine

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I went to Cincinnati today to see the Reds play and to see the unveiling of a bronze statue of Tiny Perez. Perez was there with all of the BRM except Pete Rose. Seeing them takes me back to my youth and going to games with my Dad. The Reds was what we did together. It was kind of overwhelming to be at the ball park again with my kids. I've only been to a few games since my dad passed. I'm glad I came to this one. Tony threw out the first pitch, Johnny Bench caught it. It was a very cool moment for me. I forgot how fun being at the ballpark could be.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Big Red Machine

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Those are the experiences that make it all worthwhile. Perez, Bench...those are great memories. I am sure especially for you.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:06 am

It does. I can associate my whole childhood with what happened year by year to the Reds. I went to my first game in 1967. I grew up with the Big Red Machine. I went to games through the nineties. I realized tonight it had been too long since I had been there. Sad thing is that I still have season tickets. I just give them away instead of going

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 am

That is cool stuff. I remember going to baseball games with my dad as a kid as well and how exciting it always was, seeing Ozzie, McGee, and later yes McGwire. I remember my first game in new Busch stadium was in 2009 with my eventual wife, who was going to her 1st ever game. We make a habit of taking the kids to at least 1 Cardinal game a year. I hope when they get older they look back on these times with the same joy and feelings that I, and you do. There is something special about being at a baseball game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:53 pm

I caught a 'McGuire home run ball in Cincy when he was on his tear. It was a shot.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Spence wrote:I caught a 'McGuire home run ball in Cincy when he was on his tear. It was a shot.

I love old memories with parents and grandparents.

I remember when McGuire hit the McDonalds sign in a stadium, and they put a band-aid on it. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:26 pm

The only major league game that I've seen was the Atlanta Braves in 1969..watching a roster with players like Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro, Clete Boyer, Orlando Cepeda, Felipe Alou, Hoyt Wilhelm, Dusty Baket...was a dream come true....it was the night that we first landed on the moon.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:40 pm

billybud wrote:The only major league game that I've seen was the Atlanta Braves in 1969..watching a roster with players like Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro, Clete Boyer, Orlando Cepeda, Felipe Alou, Hoyt Wilhelm, Dusty Baket...was a dream come true....it was the night that we first landed on the moon.

That is cool. I got to see Aaron tie the the run record in 1974 in Cincy. it was opening day in Riverfront Stadium. Aaron was my favorite non Red player. I consider him the greatest player of all time.

Return to “Off-Topic”