FIRE BRADY HOKE

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

FIRE BRADY HOKE

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm absolutely irate right now. I will never forgive him for this as a Michigan fan. What a buffoon. One win in a decade. Enough of this BS.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FIRE BRADY HOKE

Postby Derek » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I understand your frustration. :(
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Never should have fire Rodriquez. Firing Hoke may also not be the answer.

Personally, I liked the call to go for two at the end. I was not a fan of the play, as I would like to have seen a roll out that might have given a chance to run or pass to convert.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm

I think whether or not to go for two was debatable, but if you were going to go for it, I think the read/pass option or a rollout as you suggested would have been the right call. Personally, I would have just kicked the extra point. If he was worried about Wile not being prepared, he hadn't come close to missing an extra point all day. Also, if you were worried about the defense being gassed, it's not like Ohio State's was putting up any more resistance. Going for two like that should be saved for overtime in my opinion. If you're Michigan and you're lucky to even get this game tied, I'd take my chances by extending the game and not rolling the dice on one play. But that's just me.

I've been bothered by a litany of things. How about the fact that they put up over 600 yards on Ohio State by mostly running screens, yet we haven't seen that up until this week? You're telling me that after getting abused by the defensive fronts of Nebraska, Iowa, and Northwestern that they haven't even tried working on an offense that would mask their deficiencies on the offensive line? It's absurd that they had to wait until this long to break that kind of stuff out. But no, let's run another Lloyd Carr-esque stretch play with an interior offensive line that's worthy of playing in the FCS. And why does Michigan's interior suck so hard? I have no idea. I've seen young players step in on offensive lines at every place in the country and none have performed so horrifically as Michigan's has.

Playcalling: Abysmal
Offensive line coaching: Abysmal
Decision making in crunch time: Abysmal
Making sure you're QB's head is in the game at all times during the season: Abysmal
Defensive playcalling dating back to 2012: Abysmal
Developing recruits: Abysmal

This game just brings up so many haunting memories of painful losses that we've endured over the last decade. Yes, decade. Such as losing to Minnesota inexcusably in 2005. Losing to Texas on a last-second field goal in the 2005 Rose Bowl. Not showing up against USC in the 2003 Rose Bowl. Losing to Nebraska in a terribly officiating Alamo Bowl in 2005. Not showing up against USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl. Losing to Appalachian State because the defensive was likely high on marijuana as a joke (no kidding, the rumor is out there that they wanted to find out how much they could beat App State by while high). Getting demolished by Oregon the following week. The lost years of Rich Rodriguez. Having Mississippi State hang 52 on them in a Gator Bowl. 2012 which saw them lose to every good team they faced, including a horrid blitz call by Mattison allowing South Carolina to school them deep, thus losing the game. 2013 almost losing to Akron and UConn and Northwestern mixed with some mediocre losses, like letting a true freshman QB march 90 yards down the field on maybe four plays to send it into OT because you can't kick field goals. Letting Michigan State become the premier football team in the state, which is a recent development over the last five years. Oh, right, and how could I forget losing Ohio State in: 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, and 13. And I will always say that Hoke's first win against Ohio State was overrated and/or crap because it was the worst Ohio State team in 20 years, with an interim coach, at home, and our team would go on to finish 11-2 and Michigan only beat them by one score. They are just a better school in all phases of....Well, everything.

People who think Michigan is a big-time program are being proven wrong every year. Michigan is a has-been program, similar to Nebraska. You can keep living in the 1980's and 1990's if you want, but the landscape has changed quite a bit. Michigan loses in big-time situations constantly and I've learned never to be surprised. I can count the fun victories over the last five years on one hand. I don't even know why I get upset anymore since I knew this game was over from the moment that they didn't complete that 3rd down pass with 5 minutes left in the first half and it was 21-14 Michigan.

I changed my avatar to the MAC because I'm sick of Michigan letting me down. It was probably the result of an immature tantrum, but I seriously doubt that I can support this program as long as that buffoon is our head coach. We're trying to compete against a freaking juggernaut in Urban Meyer who has the state of Ohio to himself and, along with Saban, is some kind of voodoo practitioner :lol: . We're stuck until we can find an elite coach. Until then, we'll enjoy our 8 win seasons while splitting with Notre Dame, letting Michigan State knock Michigan off of the pedestal, and getting slaughtered by Ohio State and losing our bowl games. It should be a fun next few years.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Michigan did take the #3 team to the wire...I give them the underdog's credit for the fight.

The two point play was that type of call...miss it and you are the donkey...hit and you are the hero of the day.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:54 pm

billybud wrote:The two point play was that type of call...miss it and you are the donkey...hit and you are the hero of the day.

Exactly. As football fans we always cheer the guts behind the play when somebody decides to go for the win then and there and gets it. This is the flip side of the coin that makes that move require guts.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:04 pm

billybud wrote:Michigan did take the #3 team to the wire...I give them the underdog's credit for the fight.

The two point play was that type of call...miss it and you are the donkey...hit and you are the hero of the day.

I agree with this. I expected Ohio State to hang 20 on Michigan (I mean margin of victory). Of course in a rivalry game, all bets are off. ref: Oregon vs Lil Bro. I thought it was a ballsy, Chip Kellyesque move on Hoke's part to go for the jugular.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Personally, I would still criticize Hoke for going for it regardless of whether or not he made it. The only difference would have been my attitude :lol:

Regardless, it has just reached a boiling point for me. If they had lost by 20, I would just be merely frustrated and I would have seen that final as a result of this pathetic season we're having. The fact that Michigan had them in a tight game and it was ruined by playcalling just sent me over the edge. Still, 1-9 over the last 10 games is so pathetic, atrocious, saddening, maddening, abysmal, upsetting, horrific, horrid, horrendous, deplorable, hideous, distressing, awful, outrageous, brutal....Well, I guess you guys get the picture :lol:

Losing record against: Ohio State, Michigan State, bowl games (likely). A trifecta. Awesome. :roll:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Michigan State fans are so sick of hearing about Michigan, and justifiably so. Michigan gets top billing in this state on all local sports outlets when Michigan State football is obviously superior. I wouldn't blame them at all for getting upset about "big brother." We're "little brother" now and all the Michigan fans can't get used to it because of their hubris without realizing that their hubris belongs in 1999 :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:06 pm

I thought going for it at the end was a good move by Hoke. It was going for it earlier in the game inside the twenty I would question. That 3 points would have come in handy for him at the end.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Spence wrote:I thought going for it at the end was a good move by Hoke. It was going for it earlier in the game inside the twenty I would question. That 3 points would have come in handy for him at the end.

I agree. He was bending the rules a little bit on that by trying to buy a "practice kick" for his kicker. They called timeout at the last second and the team snapped the ball to give him a free kick, which he missed. But you can't think like, "oh he missed it here, so he'll probably miss it again." There's no guarantee that that would be a typical kick. I would say the odds of him making that short FG were high enough to try it. I think the lack of our top kicker in Gibbons also factored into his decision to go for two at the end.

Either way, I'd like to say it's nice that Michigan "played over their heads" today, but I can't. It's a loss (and a loss that yielded like, what, 9 ypc?). And another one to that team down south. If I were an Ohio State fan I don't know how I could care so intensely about this game. It takes two to tango in a rivalry and Michigan is not holding up their end of the bargain. Their performance in this rivalry is pathetic. I'm reading Michigan guys on comment sections across the Internet and this is a good approximation of them: "Aw, shucks! I feel so bad for Gardner and the guys! Those guys played their hearts out! Maybe we're heading in the right direction after all!" :roll: :roll:

I mean, seriously? You are fans of what people like to think of as "big-time" football and you accept moral victories against your arch rival. This is how far Michigan has fallen in the last decade. A seriously sad situation of affairs. Anyway, the rational side of me is saying that Michigan will be a lot better next season, probably a 9-win kind of team. But emotionally, I just have a giant hole inside after today when it comes to this program and the future looks as dim as it did yesterday.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

Eric,

Please put your Michigan uniform back on. You look ridiculous in that outfit. :lol:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am

Old Ducker wrote:Eric,

Please put your Michigan uniform back on. You look ridiculous in that outfit. :lol:

Maybe tomorrow. I still feel empty on the inside and looking at the block M or a winged helmet just stirs up a lot of negative emotions :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 am

Eric wrote:
Spence wrote:I thought going for it at the end was a good move by Hoke. It was going for it earlier in the game inside the twenty I would question. That 3 points would have come in handy for him at the end.

I agree. He was bending the rules a little bit on that by trying to buy a "practice kick" for his kicker. They called timeout at the last second and the team snapped the ball to give him a free kick, which he missed. But you can't think like, "oh he missed it here, so he'll probably miss it again." There's no guarantee that that would be a typical kick. I would say the odds of him making that short FG were high enough to try it. I think the lack of our top kicker in Gibbons also factored into his decision to go for two at the end.

Either way, I'd like to say it's nice that Michigan "played over their heads" today, but I can't. It's a loss (and a loss that yielded like, what, 9 ypc?). And another one to that team down south. If I were an Ohio State fan I don't know how I could care so intensely about this game. It takes two to tango in a rivalry and Michigan is not holding up their end of the bargain. Their performance in this rivalry is pathetic. I'm reading Michigan guys on comment sections across the Internet and this is a good approximation of them: "Aw, shucks! I feel so bad for Gardner and the guys! Those guys played their hearts out! Maybe we're heading in the right direction after all!" :roll: :roll:

I mean, seriously? You are fans of what people like to think of as "big-time" football and you accept moral victories against your arch rival. This is how far Michigan has fallen in the last decade. A seriously sad situation of affairs. Anyway, the rational side of me is saying that Michigan will be a lot better next season, probably a 9-win kind of team. But emotionally, I just have a giant hole inside after today when it comes to this program and the future looks as dim as it did yesterday.

I thought Michigan played better than I saw them play all year - at least offensively. Defensively both teams sucked. Both defenses were shredded. Neither should have been as bad.

The rivalry is falling our way right now. I lived through the Cooper years when Michigan took our lunch money for better than a decade. Far be it for me to take up for Hoke or TTUN, but when Rich Rod was the coach, they were really never in the game. Hoke may do some head scratching things, but he isn't afraid to let it all hang out and that is how you become successful. Now if he can get his team to play with that sort of passion beginning in week one.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 am

Did Ohio State fans ever think close was good enough or worthy of praise? This rivalry is, always has been to my knowledge, and should be zero-sum. You win, you get bragging rights. You lose, you get mad, frustrated, and it stings until next year. I don't get these people who can walk away from it without a tinge of frustration. At least with Rich Rod, losing was a foregone conclusion and, due to that fact, you could hardly get invested in it and he was fired for his awfulness eventually. Hoke was supposed to get us past that. I understand that the program is in a better place today than it was during 2008-2010, but the lack-of-clutchness is continuing and, adding that on top of Lloyd Carr's teams flailing in the spotlight in the latter part of his career and Rodriguez demolishing the program, it just results in a decade of depressing futility.

I'm just telling you that it will absolutely not be changing any time soon. Bottom line: You guys have Urban Meyer, and we have a decent coach that put together some decent teams at Ball State and San Diego State. Whoopty-doo. Not only that, but we have to deal with Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. When Kelly gets Golson back next year, Notre Dame will start rocking and rolling again. We're the odd program out that has to suffer with mere above-averageness-that-will-never-allow-the-administration-to-make-a-coaching-change (see: Georgia, Iowa, Nebraska, etc). Ohio State and Notre Dame will be going to former-BCS Bowls and we get Outback Bowl losses. I mean I guess our series with Notre Dame is on hiatus, but ND is a midwestern school that we have to compete with off the field regardless.

Return to “General Discussion”