Where is the line drawn.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Duke1632
All-American
All-American

Re: Where is the line drawn.

Postby Duke1632 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Spence wrote:Yes, the public ones only have constraints based on the public purse strings, though. The problem is that the public purse strings are attached to so many things now. Most here agree on most things, sometimes we argue anyway. :lol:

Nice!
The athletic team of my geographic region is superior to the team from your geographic region.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Don't fool yourself about private actors abilities to draw their own lines...

As I have stated, there is tremendous public pressure on any organization that is not minority bent to not be exclusive while minority organizations have no pressure re exclusivity...indeed, may have encouragement.

Majorities may not be exclusive..that is racist. Minorities may be exclusive, that is not racist.

Thus:

We have a Black Entertainment Network...could we actually have a White Entertainment Network?

We have Historic Black Colleges and Universities...could we have a white counterpart?

We have the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the US Black Chamber of Commerce...but you may not have one tagged "white".

The rule is that the majority must include all in their organizations while minority organizations may be specifically targeted to their minority constituents.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

billybud wrote:Don't fool yourself about private actors abilities to draw their own lines...

As I have stated, there is tremendous public pressure on any organization that is not minority bent to not be exclusive while minority organizations have no pressure re exclusivity...indeed, may have encouragement.

Majorities may not be exclusive..that is racist. Minorities may be exclusive, that is not racist.

Thus:

We have a Black Entertainment Network...could we actually have a White Entertainment Network?

We have Historic Black Colleges and Universities...could we have a white counterpart?

We have the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the US Black Chamber of Commerce...but you may not have one tagged "white".

The rule is that the majority must include all in their organizations while minority organizations may be specifically targeted to their minority constituents.

Not necessarily white, but it could be Irish, Italian, French, Scotish etc..

They are all prohibited by law to discriminate even though some do. It is all kind of silly in my view.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Irish or Scottish organizations are a minority set of "White"...and exist, like black or hispanic organizations do...for their members interests.

But do not try European American Actors Awards...or European American Chamber of Commerce.

European American is a pseudonym for White...and thus may not be exclusive or they would be racist.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:41 pm

billybud wrote:Irish or Scottish organizations are a minority set of "White"...and exist, like black or hispanic organizations do...for their members interests.

But do not try European American Actors Awards...or European American Chamber of Commerce.

European American is a pseudonym for White...and thus may not be exclusive or they would be racist.

I guess. Pretty silly though to spend any time worrying about the color of someone's skin. There are plenty of other reasons people can find to hate someone. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Tell it to the PC folks.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 pm

We have taboos in America as I have posted before.

One taboo is any earnest discussion of race. When Jimmy the Greek opined that there was an over representation of black football players as a percent of the population because of inherited physical traits...he was forced out for that obviously correct, but deemed racist, comment. When blacks make up 12% of the population, any fool can see that they make up a much larger percentage of the college and NFL football players.

One can hardly ignore that in the last six Olympics, every medalist in the 100 meters (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) has been of West African heritage. That is not an accidental occurrance, the statistical probabilty that it has been a coincidence is non existent.

Why is the discussion of heritable physical ability taboo? Because folks fear that if you admit that, then you may start talking about the heritability of other traits, like intelligence.

We walk in a veritable mine field when we tip toe around any issue of race.

But we are different...even different as a species. And I think that it is OK to talk about that. I know that you have kept up with the recent DNA research which has found that the average person of european and asian descent has 3-5% Neanderthal genes while those hailing from Africa have none and are 100% homo sapien.. European americans are an amalgam of two species and different in that way from africans.

Michael Hammer, a geneticist at the University of Arizona, and his colleagues have found hints of a new hominin by looking at the DNA of Africans. They found snippets, about 2 percent of the genome in total, that seem out of place in human DNA. The best explanation is that this is the result of another archaic human who interbred with Africans about 35,000 years ago, Hammer argues.

We are different, based on our origin, in our DNA makeup.

Maybe it is no accident that power lifting is dominated by those of european descent. As an adaptation to the cold, Neanderthals and european homo sapiens developed shorter extremities..a perfect power lifter configuration.

I have little patience for pC, taboos agaisnt discussions of race, people being fired for noticing physical differences or for using words that are correct but sound similar to another word which is racist, etc
Last edited by billybud on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 pm

And, if you want the fundamentalists to froth bubbles and spittle...just ask them if Adam, the first man, was Neanderthal or was he Homo Sapien?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 pm

billybud wrote:And, if you want the fundamentalists to froth bubbles and spittle...just ask them if Adam, the first man, was Neanderthal or was he Homo Sapien?

:lol: :lol: We agree on this completely. I especially like the people who argue that dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. I believe in creationism, I believe that evolution is a rule not a theory. My faith allows me to believe that no matter how it happened, it happened at the hand of god. And I am good with others having a different opinion, be cause what I believe is based on faith and I can't prove any of it.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm

You can't argue faith nor taste...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 pm

billybud wrote:You can't argue faith nor taste...

No, I don't try. I will say what I believe, but I won't argue what I believe against what you believe. It is an argument that can't be won until we are gone.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:30 am

Do I have an opinion on all of this? Probably.
Last edited by donovan on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 am

And....ask any physician about the different physical make up of different races. Simple things like cerumen, earwax and how it differs in various races. How about long bones. Ask any hairdresser about African American Hair versus European. So I absolutely agree with Mr. Billybud, and others, recognizing differences is positive, pretending they don't exist is stupidity and retrogrades our ability to develop not races, but individuals.
Last edited by donovan on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:20 am

If people want to go the blank slate route, I can be Usain Bolt if I just train hard enough 8)

I agree that traits are heritable for the most part and that this is taboo to say. Brain morphologies are different in aggregate and so are other physical and behavioral traits. If you came to this conclusion by looking at whatever evidence is at your disposal, it doesn't make you racist.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 am

donovan wrote:And....ask any physician about the different physical make up of different races. Simple things like cerumen, earwax and how it differs in various races. How about long bones. Ask any hairdresser about African American Hair versus European. So I absolutely agree with Mr. Billybud, and others, recognizing differences is positive, pretending they don't exist is stupidity and retrogrades are ability to develop not races, but individuals.

I think that is right. There is no reason to pretend we are all the same. Even young kids can tell the differences. They just don't hate based on the differences. We could learn a lot from little kids.

Return to “Off-Topic”