Boston

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Boston

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Prayers to the victims of this terrible act of terrorism. I hope instead of arguing who is to blame, I hope they hunt down the person/people who are actually responsible and introduce them to justice.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Boston

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 am

Makes you wonder....

Home town crazies? Jihadists?

I suspect we'll learn more once the FBI gets a look at probable bomb construction.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm

billybud wrote:Makes you wonder....

Home town crazies? Jihadists?

I suspect we'll learn more once the FBI gets a look at probable bomb construction.

I don't think it much matters who did it. As long as they catch them. People will call for a way to stop it, but if someone decides to do harm to someone they don't know or have no connection to, it is very hard to stop them. The more senseless the crime the harder it is to stop. I think the key is to find out who did it and make the justice as swift as possible. If it happens to be a crime that involved any terrorist cell, foreign or American, then we should rid the earth of all that conspired to kill these innocent people.

Our leaders keep saying that they think this was a terrorist act, but they aren't sure. ----aren't sure? I don't know who did this or why, but there is no question it was an act of terror. No question at all.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 am

I think they mean "organized" terrorist act attributable to a sponsoring organization.

Mailing ricin is a terrorist act, so was Ted the mad bomber's letter bombs and the school shootings in New York . But I think folks are attempting to differentiate whether they are an act of war in the ongoing Jihadist vs the US war, or a crazed American wacko acting out his fantasy.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

That is my point. They wanted to know if it was an organized attack by someone conspiring to do harm and making a political statement. They should say that. They are painting with a pretty broad brush.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

None of this makes sense to any of us. Do I think we should be in foreign countries bombing them in perpetuity? No, I don't. I am for defense as much as the next guy, but to think we can do this day in and day out without some kind of reprisal is naive. How much are we really paying for a gallon of gas if you include the cost of war in the Middle East?

The real issue, to me, and it underlies most of the problems in a highly, rapidly advancing technological world, is our morals and ethics never keep up with the changes. Science comes up with something, we rush to implementation for a myriad of reasons and never step back and wonder what it will do to our civility. Laws are always after the fact, morals are cast aside for wealth, power and whatever else gives claim to our egos.

If the culprits are caught, justice will be long forthcoming, if there is a despot behind this all, we will have another Hussein, Bin Laden search. We have a kid in a candy store with nukes in North Korea and no idea what we are doing. (in Korea's forever, McAruthr was right and wrong.

We make paradoxes out of the simple. We enslave ourselves to debt. We have, and have had, for some time, timid leadership. We are ripe for revolution, but revolution is inconvenience and so that won't happen. Instant gratification is not instant enough. I need a Diet Coke.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Maybe the president should call for a ban on bombs around the world. Biden can tell the North Korea to get a bazooka.

You are right that we can't go around bombing everyone. IMO North Korea should be China's problem. They built them after all. Now it may come back and bite them in the butt.

The world powers need to come together and rid these little countries of weapon's of mass destruction. They are too unstable to wield that kind of power. And I think we need to grow a pair with regard to our national defense. If the world wants us to do their dirty work, they had better get in line with us and quit being so hypocritcal about it. Europe has turned into one giant weenie continent. It used to be only France.

Return to “Off-Topic”