Very cool day.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Very cool day.

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 am

I am in Phoenix on a business trip and of course the Cincinnati Reds have spring training here - as does lots of teams. Anyway we went to eat after work and met Mike Devereaux there. Devereaux was a former major league ball player who was MVP of the NLCS championship when the Atlanta Braves won the world series in 1995. He had his world series ring on - which was cool. We got to hear many stories about life in MLB and the minors. He was a very good guy. He is a hitting coach for the Rockies class a team. He is a first class guy. We talked for several hours watching a ball game and eating dinner. I have met several professional ball players, never one who was as accessible as this guy. He was just some guy we met in a bar/restaurant who we struck up a conversation with. Then found out who he was after the fact. Just a very interesting guy. It is rare you get a player/coaches view on the game. Too good not to share.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Very cool day.

Postby donovan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:24 am

These are the stories I love, hearing, those living our dreams, somehow, are just normal people; that can see the seams of the ball at 90 mph. Thanks for sharing. Spring training is a great vacation...or business if someone else is picking up the tab.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah, it is amazing how interested these guys are in their sport. The politics of the game, but more about the nuts and bolts part that you would think would bore them to tears. He still looks like a player.

I'm hoping we negotiated enough in deals to pay for the trip and keep the wheels turning. It is a tough economy. Sports is a good distraction.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:32 am

Good story Spence! I hope the business portion of the trip comes through for you.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”