God Made a Farmer

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God Made a Farmer

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 am

For those few of here who don't bother with that other football league and didn't watch the Super Bowl, this is the one commercial worth a look for this year.

For the rest of us who did see this tonight... you know you want to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

Paul Harvey was a brilliant man who could almost single-handedly restore my faith in this once great nation despite the beating it's taken these past four years. He's been serving God in Heaven since February 28, 2009, and yet here he is now still capable of reaching hearts and minds just from this recording (and many others, I'm sure, from his long and illustrious career). And I'm not even a farmer.

EDIT: Just noticed after posting this the other Paul Harvey related thread below. :)

Eric

Re: God Made a Farmer

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am

I liked that commercial. Usually I think Super Bowl commercials are overhyped, overdone, overrated, unfunny, and not nearly as "edgy" as some companies try to be. DVRs were invented to avoid commercials :D
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm

It was a good commercial in selling something that really hasn't existed for a while....the small American farm and farm family. Producing farms are now corporate ventures with big acreage.

That commercial tied into relic memories of an America that used to be....it glorifed the small farmer...but it was just more cynical plucking at the heartstrings of those that think of the USA in Norman Rockwell framed moments.

73.5 percent of all farm income comes from the top 5.3 percent of all farms (those bringing in $500,000 or above annually) in terms of gross revenue.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

billybud wrote:It was a good commercial in selling something that really hasn't existed for a while....the small American farm and farm family. Producing farms are now corporate ventures with big acreage.

That commercial tied into relic memories of an America that used to be....it glorifed the small farmer...but it was just more cynical plucking at the heartstrings of those that think of the USA in Norman Rockwell framed moments.

73.5 percent of all farm income comes from the top 5.3 percent of all farms (those bringing in $500,000 or above annually) in terms of gross revenue.

There are still lots of family farms here. I know of several large and small family farmers close to where I live. Guys who farm land that ranges as small as 300 acres and as large as 3,000 acres. Now, all of these farmers contract their crops with the big corporate guys like Cargil or contract their animals to corporate giants like Tyson. Both Tyson and Cargil have their own farms and they contract with the family farms. I don't know any family farm that doesn't contract and least part of their crops to one of the big boys. It lets them guarantee a price up front and the farmer only has to worry about yield per acre.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm

I am cynical...it is a flaw, a character defect, an inadequacy in my make-up and demeanor...but to say to frame America in Norman Rockwell terms is cynical plucking of the heartstrings...why that makes my cynicism look like Mother Teressa on steroids.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 pm

donovan wrote:I am cynical...it is a flaw, a character defect, an inadequacy in my make-up and demeanor...but to say to frame America in Norman Rockwell terms is cynical plucking of the heartstrings...why that makes my cynicism look like Mother Teressa on steroids.

I agree. Around here ( and Ohio is a decent size farming state) most farms are family farms. Guys who farm their land themselves. I know a guy who farms cash crops for his living and also farms vegetables for a small farmers market in the summer. He put his kids through college selling vegetables from that farmers market. After he raised money for their education he used the money to fund his retirement. He is a successful farmer who will probably never fully retire. He owns 2000 acres and he leased another 2000 when he was a full time farmer. He has made a really good living over the years. Farmers can make lots of money, contrary to what most admit. If you do it mostly yourself, though, it is very hard work. He has had a a hip and two knees replaced. He is the picture of the Norman Rockwell type who has lived the American dream.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Farming is very hard work, and I still miss it! I have many a memory from my youth that return to me with that salty taste of sweat...often broken by that metallic taste of blood. (From applying that keep on rolling first aid to a wound gleaned from an ailing hoe or rake handle.) If anything could restore American grit I'd put my money on kids 11 to 15 logging about 1000 hours on a farm. Outside of the sewing, rowing, hoeing, towing, and elbowing...you have the mending of fences, splitting wood, tooling on engines, building sheds and barns, putting up hay and all of the many tasks begging for sweat with a little technique. These things, like sports, can teach a child that it takes a whole bunch of work from many in a plethora of areas to give tomorrow's provision a fighting chance. And that all of that action for tomorrow is rather likely to fail...without faith and hope in the outcome...and finding a love for the process today.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”