Grand-maw

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Grand-maw

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Well, all my grandparents are gone now. I lost the last one on Sunday and we had the funeral yesterday.

Kind of a weird feeling, and it only re-enforced to me how we all eventually end up there. And the stuff in between our birth and that time, is really pretty meaningless. (except for CFB of course).

Since then, I've called up some old friends that I have not talked to in a while (because they screwed me over, or whatever excuse I or they use for not talking anymore) and mended some fences.

I hope you'll do the same. 8)

Love Peace and hair grease.

Derek
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grand-maw

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I lost my last grandparent in '85. Lost my dad in 2000. Grandparents are bad, but there is a real empty feeling when you lose your dad. My dad and I were friends. We went to Reds games together, Buckeye games together, and just hung out. He has been gone for 12 years and I'm not over it. I still have times when I think I can call and talk to him and realize that I can't. He died when my first kid was 2, the other two never met him. I have three girls and he would have loved that. He was great guy. He could be tough sometimes, but I needed tough sometimes. It is something most have to go through, but all wish they didn't.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 am

Sorry to hear about your loss Derek. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

All my grandparents are gone and my dad passed away 16 years ago. I was a freshman in college and he was only 40. That 40 number does not seem so big anymore. My only uncle on my mom's side passed away 15 years ago (he was o my 42).

I'm 36 and the oldest male in my immediate family on my mom's side. All my fishing, hunting, and football watching friends and mentors are gone.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:51 am

My condolences Derek. It is tough, all we can do is love and care for them while we have them...and when their gone, it never seems we did enough with them. And I feel what you are saying....you had my mind going through Ecclesiastes. Solomon was wise, but I tend to think the book is lamentation in many aspects. Here we are, masters of this terra firma...and we don't control squat diddly to any extent that matters. Pondering life and its vapor shortness quickly humbles a man. So many great things here and so much beauty, but the time, our power, and our sufficient savoring are all very short. I have taken to reading Hebrews Chapter 11 a whole lot...it moves me, I consider it the testament to faith.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:10 am

Doss, that has to be a daunting feeling, and even a bit lonely when you think too long on those things. I hate to hear that...but if you think on it, let it charge you up to run a big vacuum and cut a wide path with every day. I haven't had a grandpa since I was 10. Lost my grandma about 9 years ago, God I miss her. My dad's father died when he was 10 years old. We lost his mom when I was 10, maybe 11...that was a bad year for me, changed my life!

I don't know what I will do when I lose my parents. I changed when I was 10, I've carried a blue since that day, gained depth, and took on an edge. I haven't taken any trash since then and or stand by and allow another innocent to suffer trash, life is too short, and the obstacles and bad times already great enough. I worry about what I might evolve into with my parents gone.

Thank God I haven't lost a child, or a sibling, or a spouse. All are pains than can't be cried away...and they leave holes. Losing a child, I've watched all but kill a person.

Spence, I love it when you talk about your dad! I bet he does too. Somehow you can both beam and ooze sorrow in letters and words.

To all the ones we've loved and lost...
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks for the condolences!

As strange as it sounds, it's been good for the family in some ways (Mom and her sister have not always gotten along), and I believe God has taught me some things over the last week.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm

My last living grandparent passed away in March 2010, she was 92.

I now live in an expressly rural area. I wouldn't have appreciated that without going to my grandparents house for some summer vacations growing up.

My condolences and God Bless.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm

armchairqb wrote:My last living grandparent passed away in March 2010, she was 92.

I now live in an expressly rural area. I wouldn't have appreciated that without going to my grandparents house for some summer vacations growing up.

My condolences and God Bless.

Same here growing up...the burbs now...which I do not like at all. I will get my country space in the rather near future, likely by next summer.

Derek wrote:As strange as it sounds, it's been good for the family in some ways (Mom and her sister have not always gotten along), and I believe God has taught me some things over the last week.

Life would be a whole lot easier if man didn't best learn from pain! I have been trying to convince God for a long, long time that I best learn from naked women, cold beer, and hot juicy steak!
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Derek, just read he post. It is these reminders of mortality that lets us know what is really important. My thoughts are with you my friend. Donovan
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm

donovan wrote:Derek, just read he post. It is these reminders of mortality that lets us know what is really important. My thoughts are with you my friend. Donovan

Thanks man!!

- John Madden

warrriorsfan808
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Location: Live In: Honolulu, Hi Born In: New Braunfels, Texas

Postby warrriorsfan808 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm

My condolences Derek, I don't usually stray off the General Discussion thread, I too lost my last grandparent (Oma/grandmother in German) two years ago. You and your family are in my prayers.

Return to “Off-Topic”