Spammers

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spammers

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 am

Let me 1st say Spammers are not very bright...not at all. If they took the time to study their own work and results in a more finite matter they would figure out some places and people just aren't worth the energy. And this place has to be very high on that list. Like many, because they have so much ready made work allowing for copy and paste and the related they think posting spam any and every where possible is worth the effort, it is not. They go by their spampaigning efforts to measure results. If they analyzed their host lists and targets they would find their hits per spam numbers at this site and others is non-fruitful. Taking these places off their list would increase their productivity. It is a tight economy, and spamming is still advertising, it is just a form people hate even more than more typical ad methods. They should then try to model themselves more after successful ad agencies and analyze their yields.

That being said, how difficult would it be to disallow board members to post links or images until they have been a board member 1 week and had at least 3 posts?
Or, when registering a potential member has to answer 3 basic questions. Like, 1) What is the penalty for not jumping "off-sides"? 2) Who won the NC last year? 3) How many points are awarded for a Safety? (This should at least greatly slow down foreign spammers.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spammers

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 am

That isn't something the admin board is set up to do. I have to disallow all links or none. The best thing is to not pay attention to them and I will delete them as I find them.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:17 am

Spence did you ever find out about the forum being able to block IP ranges??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:31 am

Derek wrote:Spence did you ever find out about the forum being able to block IP ranges??

I can't. I can cut down how many links they can use. It wouldn't matter though, they have the ability to use ip ranges anywhere in the world including from here.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”