University of Oregon fires President

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

University of Oregon fires President

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 pm

This, imo, is an absolute case of firing a person because the have succeeded in the pursuit of excellence. There are issues of arrogance and insubordination that may have some merit, kind of the MacArthur syndrome, but the facts which are not really disputed, he was fired because he left other Oregon Universities in the dust. God help us all.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Higher-ed-board-votes-to-fire-Richard-Lariviere-134639318.html
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: University of Oregon fires President

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:33 pm

He may have been a pain in the butt, but if he gets results, that can be tolerated. To fire a guy because he does such a good job he inhibits the growth of the other institutions he is competing with is exactly what is wrong with the way government and public works think. They get rid of the guy who is really good to make the other dozen guys who are mediocre look better. As we sink into a hole ten times the size of the Greek mess we need to remember this example of how well our government works.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 am

This is standard fare, just at a level you don't too often see and in a place where it is news. They are firing him for the reasons you guys have given but that isn't the full. People are egotistical at any board level position, at least to some extent. But this guy is such a high shooter his methods to continually perform better both cast light on his actions (thus placing the board and the prez's peers in the shadows) and further still, his actions could lead to him not being subject to their authority and his service not a service to them.

If he were to continue his success (and they know he will) he could well, eventually, succeed in removing the crown jewel from their throne. And if he were not to succeed in that action the legislature and the state in general will eventually note the orange among all the apples and go asking questions of the vineyard master. Anytime you have someone setting the curve and pushing the average higher the bosses really like that, and do take much credit here and there. When the average pusher is known to all and results begin to be stated as "the average not including the shooting star"...well the bosses are no longer happy. Every Pharaoh wants a Joseph, but none wants a Moses. A King will gladly endure a Daniel, so long as Daniel can live with the lions he must be cast unto now and again. But if Daniel should should rise above resistance to the King's plaudits and resist the King himself he will be fired, even if it has to be in an oven heated 7 times hotter than is want. (Prez should pull a Daniel and pray to his Lord Legislature. If he made it clear any action he took that was unacceptable to Nebuchadnezzar, was only due to reverence and service to the true Lord...I think Nebby might find himself needing a trip to the hair and nail salon.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 am

WoVeU is correct.

Incompetent people can never tolerate competent people. This is especially true of Government work. And I've done a lot of work for Governments at the Federal level down to the city and local school systems.

Anyone find it funny that the hearing was held at Portland University?? Were they the ones complaining???? It's not a super nice place. I've been there....and so has donovan 8) ....maybe jealousy is driving this???
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

It absolutely is jealousy. There were reasons to fire the guy. But not the ones they gave. Truman had to fire MacArthur, no real choice. But in this situation he was trying to make the school better and by all accounts has succeeded. So why not use his model? When are you coming to Seattle, I owe you. And...good luck against LSU..I think you will make a game out of it. I am actually picking Georgia.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:18 am

donovan wrote:It absolutely is jealousy. There were reasons to fire the guy. But not the ones they gave. Truman had to fire MacArthur, no real choice. But in this situation he was trying to make the school better and by all accounts has succeeded. So why not use his model? When are you coming to Seattle, I owe you. And...good luck against LSU..I think you will make a game out of it. I am actually picking Georgia.

I don't know when I'll make it to Seattle. I hope so. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know. 8)

They "CAN" beat LSU, whether they do or not, depends. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”