Baseball is so Wimpy

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Baseball is so Wimpy

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Why can't they just do like the minor leagues did and ban chew on the field in any form? No, they have to wimp around and make some mickey mouse rule. I want to know the penalty for Red Man on the field...which does not come in cans.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7272845
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Baseball is so Wimpy

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 pm

donovan wrote:Why can't they just do like the minor leagues did and ban chew on the field in any form? No, they have to wimp around and make some mickey mouse rule. I want to know the penalty for Red Man on the field...which does not come in cans.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7272845

The penalty for Redman is the same for HGH - there really isn't one.

I think it is a stupid rule anyway. I have lost three family members to tobacco so I am completely against it in any form, but I don't think banning it is the way to go. If they want to kill themselves slowly, they should have that right. Just like the guy who eats himself to death.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Baseball is so Wimpy

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree. America should be about freedom to do things that do not tread on other people. That being said, I smoke, often like a chimney. And many smokers and smokeless tobacco users tread on other people for years. Smoking within a few feet of doors and walkways and making a mess.

But in baseball I can understand not allowing it on the field. I think it does effect kid's perception...and I don't think we would have seen the reduction in tobacco use without the reclusion it has been put through. But things are often taken too far, probably near always! For baseball, don't take it on the field, the clubhouse and dugout should be different, but that is also because I feel a camera shouldn't be showing images of people seated in the dugout. Baseball players are at work, and people are very often not allowed to use tobacco at work...break areas only. I would be much more behind bans if balance was at all considered. Flights and bars should come in 2 styles, smoking and non-smoking. And if you can't get a flight that is smoking there should be some place after the security check point(s) to smoke, even if you have to pay...it is capital space and service and maintenance will be required, I am fine with paying.

And if we are going to make laws for the sake of health, then as Spence points to add the others to the list. And add lazy to the list and ban physical inactivity. I smoke, and there are very few people I would trade physical ability or health with. (And we should sterilize people with more than 2 allergies or get sick more than once every 3 or 4 years.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”