Happy Birthday Jarheads

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Happy Birthday Jarheads

Postby Grayghost » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I know this is a few days late, but happy birthday to all you fellow jarheads out there.

Also, happy Veterans Day to all of you who served in the other branches though you were not fortunate enough to serve in our beloved Corps. Uh-rah! :wink:

But seriously, to all who served, regardless of branch, from one vet to another...thank you.
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Happy Birthday Jarheads

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:45 am

I was not a jarhead....but I knew a lot of them from being a Taxi driver for them.

Good years of my life!

When were you in Greyghost?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I was in from 86-91...03bullet stopper...that means grunt...infantry, with a stint in security forces.

Where did you drive taxi?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Grayghost wrote:I was in from 86-91...03bullet stopper...that means grunt...infantry, with a stint in security forces.

Where did you drive taxi?

About the same time as me. I was finally stationed in Long Beach, got there Mar 1989 after boot camp in San Diego and school on Treasure island in San Fran.

God i miss those times now that I'm thinking about. :lol:

This was my "whip". 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ogden_%28LPD-5%29

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Oh...that kind of Taxi Driver... :lol:

Spent some time on the USS Denver being hauled between Okinawa and Korea...I actually enjoyed the ride. Sitting on the fantail across the Sea of Japan was just plain awesome. It was better than sitting in the hold with the seasick pukers.

My Dad was stationed at Treasure Island for awhile as part of a Marine reserve maintenance company so I spent alot of weekends down there when I was in high school just tagging along. Got in trouble once because he would always sneek me into the BOQ and we got caught...not a big deal really, more embarrassing actually, but I loved going down there.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

LOL...Hollywood Marines!

Parris Island and Geiger Tiger east coast guy here. I did do a stretch at Coronado, Cal. for the Amphib recon school with the UDT instructors, SERE school at Bridgeport, California...

Offloaded off of a sub to swim ashore and take a scout team inland to a hill top OP while on maneuvers off of Camp Pendleton...still remember the unique smell of crushed sagebrush (or whatever those hills are covered in).

And, yes, made the requisite trips to Tijuana and Ensenada.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 pm

billybud wrote:LOL...Hollywood Marines!

Parris Island and Geiger Tiger east coast guy here. I did do a stretch at Coronado, Cal. for the Amphib recon school with the UDT instructors, SERE school at Bridgeport, California...

Offloaded off of a sub to swim ashore and take a scout team inland to a hill top OP while on maneuvers off of Camp Pendleton...still remember the unique smell of crushed sagebrush (or whatever those hills are covered in).

And, yes, made the requisite trips to Tijuana and Ensenada.

Oh wow. Tijuana, good times there.

I also spent some time in Coronado, but not for UDT, just liberty. 8) I tried out for UDT, but I was WAY too slow in the water.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Are we doing role call?

89-93 USAF Active Duty, fighting valiantly with my Multimeter and Screwdriver! Never left McGuire AFB after Lackland and Chanute AFB for training. Chanute I consider my war...@ -65F. Man I think about those days and all of the guys I drank with (I meant served with) all of the time now. I worked too much and it didn't pay a whole lot but I had some great times.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”