2011 World Series

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

2011 World Series

Postby donovan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 am

Baseball was never meant to be played in October, close to Nov...it is not a cold weather sport...but enough of that....

This has been an entertaining series. Last night's game...number 6 was all you could ask for in being entertained...a lot of lousy baseball and a lot of great defensive plays and clutch hitting. Of all the things I have wanted to do that I have never done, it is go to the World Series....Maybe next year I will just do it. Anyway...I think it is fun baseball this year.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2011 World Series

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 am

I agree. Baseball should have been finshied three weeks ago. Money, money , money. They start so late little kids don't even know there is a championship in baseball.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 pm

This is the most I have watched since 05...and I have really enjoyed it. Last night was a classic! I was really impressed with Freese, what a performance!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Yeah, I think they should go back to 154 games. Start late March if necessary and try to finish it by 1st week of Oct. At least they scaled it back so that it isn't into November anymore. Of course it's a dilemma for the networks and die-hard fans. Go too late it clashes with football. Start too early it clashes with March Madness. I still prefer an early start... let a few mostly meaningless early season games get lost in the coverage by NCAA hoops - finish the World Series before snow has the possibility of factoring into the equation.

That said, last night's game was epic. I root for the Yankees, but I'm also something of a Cards sympathizer. I'll be catching pieces of the game tonight.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Congrats to the Cardinals...who have to be the luckiest team in ever....having to rely on others losing to even make the playoffs. They played well when it counted. If my grandpa was alive he would be grinning ear to ear. He passed away shortly after the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006. Game 6 did have an incredible finish. I am sure the Rangers players and fans are still in shock...they were 1 strike away in two innings.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Great series... I'll say the 6th best of my lifetime. Good to see Freese get WS MVP to go along with his NLCS title, too. He deserves it. 21 post-season RBIs is just sick.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:34 am

Some entertaining baseball...I love it.. I am an American League fan...dislike the DH rule...get rid of that....but Texas just lost all of their zip in number six with that heartbreaker and I think got out coached in number 7. Was fun to watch.

That Napoli is a hyper catcher for the Rangers. Good ball player. Freeze for the Cards did it when it counted and where it counted, on the scoreboard. Well just a few more months before Spring Training.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:00 pm

donovan wrote:Some entertaining baseball...I love it.. I am an American League fan...dislike the DH rule...get rid of that....but Texas just lost all of their zip in number six with that heartbreaker and I think got out coached in number 7. Was fun to watch.

That Napoli is a hyper catcher for the Rangers. Good ball player. Freeze for the Cards did it when it counted and where it counted, on the scoreboard. Well just a few more months before Spring Training.

Napoli is one heck of a ball player indeed.

Thekey stat for me was the Rangers pitchers walked more runners in this world series than any other pitching staff in world series history. You can't put that many guys on base and expect to be successful...I think they said they walked 41 batters in 7 games.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Dossenator wrote:
donovan wrote:Some entertaining baseball...I love it.. I am an American League fan...dislike the DH rule...get rid of that....but Texas just lost all of their zip in number six with that heartbreaker and I think got out coached in number 7. Was fun to watch.

Thekey stat for me was the Rangers pitchers walked more runners in this world series than any other pitching staff in world series history. You can't put that many guys on base and expect to be successful...I think they said they walked 41 batters in 7 games.

I think you are spot on about walks...the other statistic was the lack of stolen bases.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 am

donovan wrote:
Dossenator wrote:

I think you are spot on about walks...the other statistic was the lack of stolen bases.

I am glad you brought up the walks! I had baseball rust, but I kept saying that the walks seemed incredibly high. Texas I could see walking Puljos and Freeze...one by historicity and the other by recency...but they'd walk .245 lefty to get to a righty, with a man on. (Now not necessarily "intentional"...but when you throw 4 pitches and get 4 balls, or 3 balls then take your customary looking "strike" before the last ball, then you ain't far from intentional. )
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 pm

nt
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”