News

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

News

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:55 pm

I have been playing golf for over Thirty years. A couple weeks ago I got my first Hole in one. I play in a couple leagues, but I also play lots of rounds by myself. I always said if I ever get a hole in one it will be while I was playing alone and I couldn't tell anyone. It didn't happen that way at all. I was playing in a scramble at Grand Victoria in Indiana on a course call "the links". It was a company sponsored scramble where everything was payed for by them. It was on a hole that had a $1000 insurance guarantee for a hole in one. I was on a team with three guys I hadn't met before. It was a 164 yard par 3 and I hit a 7 iron. (yes, I know the pros hit a seven 200, but I don't) The only thing bad is I didn't get to see it go in the hole. I won the $1000 and we won a skin. I didn't even have to buy a round because the company that threw the event was paying for everything - There were 144 golfers so it would have cost $500 for the round. :lol: I couldn't have thought up a better way of getting it. People say that usually after the first one you get the second one pretty quick, but I haven't dropped the second yet. That hole in one gets me the cycle in golf. I had a double eagle when I was about 20, but the hole on one had always eluded me. Anyway, I thought I would share as I have told everyone I know. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Re: News

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I got a whole in one my third time out playing golf. Beginners luck I guess. The 2nd has not come and the first happened 11 years ago.

Congrats!
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks, it seems lots of people get that first one early. Not me, but I'll take it any way it comes.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:20 am

That is awesome! I would have thought the same...I'd be by myself. But I haven't played in about 15 years. (Not because I don't like it, I could tell from the first swing that game is like crack...if I ever start, everything else in my life will disappear for a year or so!) When it looks like Charles Barkley can beat me I will have to start playing!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

Congratulations, Spence. Great story, especially the circumstances. I was in a foursome where a guy got one at an executive...I think that is what we use to call par 3 courses in LA ten years ago. I came with in about 4 inches, once...so in my years of golf...hmmm I think I stared out with some J. C. Higgins clubs...now who knows where you would have bought them..I remember..... Great Job, Spence. And Mrs. Spence was very happy with her money.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am

I had just bought some new irons about a month before that and she was complaining about the price - $960 - so when I gave her the $1000 check I ask her how much she had ever returned from any of her shopping excursions. She didn't think that was funny at all.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Spence wrote:I had just bought some new irons about a month before that and she was complaining about the price - $960 - so when I gave her the $1000 check I ask her how much she had ever returned from any of her shopping excursions. She didn't think that was funny at all.

My wife would not have appreciated that little joke either. I laughed from it though. :D
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:13 pm

test again

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Spence wrote:I had just bought some new irons about a month before that and she was complaining about the price - $960 - so when I gave her the $1000 check I ask her how much she had ever returned from any of her shopping excursions. She didn't think that was funny at all.

That is exactly what I would have done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Cool! 8)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”