TSA Security

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

TSA Security

Postby WoVeU » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm

As the Chalk Leader for my flight home from Afghanistan, I witnessed the following:

When we were on our way back from Afghanistan, we flew out of Baghram Air Field. We went through customs at BAF, full body scanners (no
groping), had all of our bags searched, the whole nine yards. Our first stop was Shannon, Ireland to refuel. After that, we had to stop at Indianapolis, Indiana to drop off about 100 folks from the Indiana National Guard. That's where the stupid started.

First, everyone was forced to get off the plane-even though the plane wasn't refueling again. All 330 people got off that plane, rather than let the 100 people from the ING get off. We were filed from the plane to a holding area. No vending machines, no means of escape. Only a male/female latrine.

It's probably important to mention that we were ALL carrying weapons. Everyone was carrying an M4 Carbine (rifle) and some, like me, were also carrying an M9 pistol. Oh, and our gunners had M-240B machine guns. Of course, the weapons weren't loaded. And we had been cleared of all ammo well before we even got to customs at Baghram, then AGAIN at customs.

The TSA personnel at the airport seriously considered making us unload all of the baggage from the SECURE cargo hold to have it re-inspected. Keep in mind, this cargo had been unpacked, inspected piece by piece by U.S. Customs officials, resealed and had bomb-sniffing dogs give it a one-hour run through. After two hours of sitting in this holding area, the TSA decided not to re-inspect our Cargo-just to inspect us again:
Soldiers on the way home from war, who had already been inspected, re-inspected and kept in a SECURE holding area for 2 hours. Ok, whatever. So we lined up to go through security AGAIN.
This is probably another good time to remind you all that all of us were carrying actual assault rifles, and some of us were also carrying
pistols.

So we're in line, going through one at a time. One of our Soldiers had his Gerber multi-tool. TSA confiscated it. Kind of ridiculous, but it gets better. A few minutes later, a guy empties his pockets and has a pair of nail clippers. Nail clippers. TSA informs the Soldier that they're going to confiscate his nail clippers. The conversation went something like this:

TSA Guy: You can't take those on the plane.

Soldier: What? I've had them since we left country.

TSA Guy: You're not suppose to have them.

Soldier: Why?

TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.

Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I'm allowed to take it on.

TSA Guy: Yeah but you can't use it to take over the plane. You don't have bullets.

Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?

TSA Guy: [awkward silence]

Me: Dude, just give him your darn nail clippers so we can get the f**k out of here. I'll buy you a new set.

Soldier: [hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security]

To top it off, the TSA demanded we all be swabbed for "explosive residue" detection. Everyone failed, [go figure, we just came home from a war zone], because we tested positive for "Gun Powder Residue". Who the F**K is hiring these people?

This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine
guns-but nothing that could have been used as a weapon.

Can someone please tell me What the $%^& happened to OUR country while we were gone?

Sgt. Mad Dog Tracy
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TSA Security

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 am

The TSA is a bunch of idiots. Some of them even have criminal records for rape and other things. Not the brightest group of people.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:59 am

At one time this country held certain "truths to be self evident." Common sense. Banned from our lives.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 am

I agree that TSA folks, for lack of a better word, are goons.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 am

This is what I find interesting. After 9/11, this country changed their whole attitude on flying and in flight protection. Instantly we were not going to rely on the government to protect us. If there was a hijacker, then the passengers would not sit by and follow instructions...attack the guys....some will die..but in the end...we are all in the fight. Common Sense took over, fight or flight...and in the is case...you have to fight. THEN....the government, sensing the people may now be able to do something for themselves...form the TSA....and here is the study on bureaucratic explosion. Will not be long where they will convince of of passiveness. Roll On.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 pm

I fly maybe three times a year, not often, but I have never had an issue with TSA. My last plane trip was in Sept. so the new rules weren't in force. It isn't that big a deal, for me though. I pull my laptop out, put my shoes everything else in another tub, run them through the x-ray machine and walk through the metal detector. Nothing I wouldn't expect to do.

My mom and dad went to Europe in the middle eighties and said the European airports were scary with all the fire power. I never felt that way about our airports.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 am

donovan wrote:This is what I find interesting. After 9/11, this country changed their whole attitude on flying and in flight protection. Instantly we were not going to rely on the government to protect us. If there was a hijacker, then the passengers would not sit by and follow instructions...attack the guys....some will die..but in the end...we are all in the fight. Common Sense took over, fight or flight...and in the is case...you have to fight. THEN....the government, sensing the people may now be able to do something for themselves...form the TSA....and here is the study on bureaucratic explosion. Will not be long where they will convince of of passiveness. Roll On.

You speak of real America and her real men. The TSA has been expanded for the fear mongers!
Roll On.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 am

Eric wrote:I agree that TSA folks, for lack of a better word, are goons.

Let's be clear..."goons" of a type. Because these are nearly 100% @55-clown goons. If I wanted to walk right through their checkpoints...it would take all of about 55 seconds to pile these people on the floor. The last one I went through I took account that it seemed between the lot of them, about 13 or 14...you could maybe accumulate 35 push-ups. Most of those I attributed to the elder man of about 60, he could have knocked out about a dozen. Another guy about 40 years old, a little swollen and frumpy, about 9. The rest 0 to 3! 2 guys had guns. And they stood way too close to the people...many walking within arms length of them, just stupid!
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:04 am

My brother-in-law was in on leave over Christmas. He and the wife shared stories that backed up the article rendered here!

I am angered that these $11 "rent-a-cops" have any authority over our troops, whatsoever. They aren't qualified to secure or even question our men in uniform, period!
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 am

I think it is wrong and certainly unchristian to malign the people doing this work. Maybe we ought to address the issue, government ineptness.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 am

donovan wrote:I think it is wrong and certainly unchristian to malign the people doing this work. Maybe we ought to address the issue, government ineptness.

Government ineptness is the major issue.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Guv-mint is indeed the major issue. But there are WAY too many people that work for the TSA that "enjoy" their job. By Enjoy, I mean, recieving pleasure in ordering, searching, belittling others. They used to give psyche tests for guvmint workers, and if you were trigger happy, you could not be a cop. I don't know tat they even do that anymore.

And with the "revelation" that some of them have records, and it was not found during their interview and screening process, the fact that this did not come out is SCARY. Who else have the employed that didn't get a full check? A member of a sleeper cell??

It's not a unreasonable question.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:06 pm

donovan wrote:I think it is wrong and certainly unchristian to malign the people doing this work. Maybe we ought to address the issue, government ineptness.

Oh, there I went and forgot I was in public! Let I explain thoroughly as to not offend anyone! (Let me get my oil)

"$11 rent-a-cop," this slur is aimed at the makers of the position, the qualifications they require, and the general aptitude, ability, and training associated with these positions...ergo I am attacking the government ineptness! I am no respecter of person, and only speak my opinion, which is so close to readily viewable fact in this instance that I didn't bother to build the foundation...but I was saying...there ain't no-way-dot-com these TSA "Agents" or "Security Personnel" have as much training or ability as our Service Men. Neither is the TSA rendering of "Security" any where near the value or high calling of Military Service Men. Thus, I have a real problem with them even performing there form of "security" with Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, or Seamen!

But I do admit I am long sick and tired of the practice of hiring very poor physical specimens (who often have the minds to match) who then get all hyped up on power form a badge. And then in an effort to obey the law (many of which I have no personal love for) I feed the ego of "men," who out of the goodness of my heart (thus far)", have not demonstrated to them how much "power" they don't have in my dealings with them.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:19 am

I am not sure why, if a plane, is exclusively military, boarded as such on a military base or airport, why TSA security is involved at all. It service men are on commercial flights with civilians, that is a another issue. When I was a kid...and we are talking a long time ago....we would ride the train, Union Pacific to the Midwest. Was a three day journey. Many service men..we are talking WWII would be on the train, in uniform. MP's would walk up and down the isle making sure their uniform was proper and they were behaving properly. Was not a security issue just the military making sure these servicemen were representing the military correctly.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:12 pm

donovan wrote:I am not sure why, if a plane, is exclusively military, boarded as such on a military base or airport, why TSA security is involved at all. It service men are on commercial flights with civilians, that is a another issue. When I was a kid...and we are talking a long time ago....we would ride the train, Union Pacific to the Midwest. Was a three day journey. Many service men..we are talking WWII would be on the train, in uniform. MP's would walk up and down the isle making sure their uniform was proper and they were behaving properly. Was not a security issue just the military making sure these servicemen were representing the military correctly.

Yeah, it seems odd to me too! I hear, am told, it is a cost thing. And the economist and engineer in me can see that. For hauling people (when we are talking, moving "armed forces" those carrying weapons...it is all military and it is a contract flight, well I guess you could have an occasional civilian being deployed with them (get to that in a second). I can see this being cheaper, I'd have to think a 737 is cheaper to maintain than a C-17...many more numbers with greater supply lines for parts and trained mechanics on that airframe. Also, these type planes would always be passenger configured, not cargo (except for the typical...the belly.) So again I can see the cost savings...it takes some work to seat up a plane and I have been on a plane many times to see this process...I was usually pre-flighting the electrical and environmental systems...but I did help once. (And when not configured with seats you have to store all of them and the "galley"...more expense.)

Now the big money critic in me wonders about these "contracts" and the ole boy reward system. The military tries to contract everything it can, that is rather benign and not in the line of fire. Cooking, cleaning, gate guards (this cracks me up) but there are so many military integrated positions that work along side the uniformed service personnel stateside. (Technicians, supervisors, and managers...we are talking manyu jobs that pay $60 to $180k) I hated it when I was in and I still hate it...I like one set of rules and full brotherhood. Many Chiefs, LTC's, Colonels, and Generals create new civilian positions before they retire...and what do you know...the job description matches their exact skill set and resume they have just inked!
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”