Golden Gloves

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Golden Gloves

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:50 am

Though this award seems to be a player's to loose once they have won it, Ichiro's accomplishments can not go unmentioned. He has joined, and rightfully so, the ranks of some great ballplayers. I have seen him many times in Seattle play and here is a guy who never stops hustling. Stuck on a lately become "no vision" management, coaching and player team, he continues to unselfishly perform his role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... NHeadlines

Another reason I like him...
[url]
http://a.espncdn.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1400915.html[/url]
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Dossenator

Re: Golden Gloves

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Love watching Ichiro play. If he had played his whole career in the US he would easily be the all-time hits leader. He has never had fewer than 200 hits in his MLB career. If he played for the Yankees he would be the most popular player in the league.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Pete Rose had 10 200+ hit seasons and three more above 190. - and Rose played in a pitchers era - just sayin. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Spence wrote:Pete Rose had 10 200+ hit seasons and three more above 190. - and Rose played in a pitchers era - just sayin. :wink:

Pete Rose is one of baseball's all time sad stories...his actions, baseballs actions and it still goes on and on...both sides being "buttheads"

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:13 am

I agree. Growing up he was the player I wanted to be - outside the lines not so much. What made him a great player - not a great talent - was also his down fall. That competitive drive. I do think he should be in the hall of fame because of what he did between the lines. I was/am a Pete Rose fan, but I would never allow him back in the game. He broke the cardinal sin of baseball. The hall of fame thing - though - was vindictive on Fay Vincent's part. Pete is an arrogant guy - even today - and still very rough around the edges, but he is baseballs greatest hitter. The hall displays a ton of his memorabilia, so it is very hypocritical not to have him in.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Like so many items, Spence, you have this one nailed, too.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Spence wrote:Pete Rose had 10 200+ hit seasons and three more above 190. - and Rose played in a pitchers era - just sayin. :wink:

Ichiro has played 10 seasons in the MLB and has 10 200+ hit seasons. Ichiro tied Pete Rose in that department....however, it only took Ichiro 10 seasons to do it (only player ever to have 10 consecutive 200+ hit seasons). Ichiro also had a 200+ hit season in 130 games in Japan (at the time he was the only Japanese player to ever reach that feet). Ichiro played 9 seasons in Japan...imagine what his MLB numbers would have been if he had played all of his years in the US. I am guessing you could add another 4-6 200+ hit seasons.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall for what he did on the field. I do think Ichiro is as good as Pete Rose. We will never know who is better because they did not face the same competition. They both will go down among the MLB's best ever.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:36 pm

They are two very good players. Rose, though, played in a pitchers era and he also kept his average and hit total up while switching between six different positions to help his team. He wasn't close to the most talented player that ever played, but he was second only to Cobb in tenacity and no one could ever match his drive.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Spence wrote:They are two very good players. Rose, though, played in a pitchers era and he also kept his average and hit total up while switching between six different positions to help his team. He wasn't close to the most talented player that ever played, but he was second only to Cobb in tenacity and no one could ever match his drive.

Pete Rose, Larry Bird, and Peyton Manning have to be the most driven athletes I have ever seen. Not the most talented in basic athleticism..but true grit, determination, and a competitive fire that can not be snuffed out. Men like these should have their own Hall of Fame. Each display something bigger than Baseball, Basketball, and Football. They should be commemorated in the "Life" Hall of Fame. We can all do what they did, and we can all win the way they did!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”