One Layer Onions

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10262
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 am

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

Derek wrote:
donovan wrote:When we were an agrarian society and one person could produce food for one person. There was no time for anything else. Then one day, someone figured out robbery was a labor saving device.


Are you talking about the IRS??


How about government in general, the embodiment of institutionalized coercion? :P
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 9-27

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19360
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 am

Derek wrote:
donovan wrote:When we were an agrarian society and one person could produce food for one person. There was no time for anything else. Then one day, someone figured out robbery was a labor saving device.


Are you talking about the IRS??


Since this is Halloween - I was at a halloween party some years back and there was a costume contest. One guy was dressed as a pirate right down to the hook. Everyone registered in the contest had to announce what or who they were before being judged. The guy who was a pirate gave his name and said he was an IRS agent. The whole place erupted and he won easily.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby WoVeU » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:Religion, land, money, and power indeed fuel wars, but of the four, only one sees to the guarantee of human rights. Take away anything bigger than man, and then man is supreme and might makes right. Only when rooted in something greater, be it God or Natural Law, can individual rights have any hope of being guaranteed beyond those who would make themselves strong on Earth.


Well said my brother!

This why bad-liberals tick me off (of the alleged uber type, chanters just echoing in Gregorian refrain). You don't believe in God, cool...more for me, scarcity effects everything to some degree. You claim a Natural Law, awesome, I'm feeling you, I can see it. Then, they wipe their rear-end on that with their constructed laws that run absolutely counter to anything natural! Few things bother me, but lying is right up there at the top!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10262
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 am

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Liberals are annoying in the instances where they are more tolerant of Islamic abuses in the Middle East compared to Jerry Falwell saying American attitudes about homosexuals caused 9/11. Obviously they are both stupid things to do/say, but one of them irks them more than other, and I can't really put my finger on why.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 9-27

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: One Layer Onions

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 am

I'm sure the latter bothers many more people. This is mostly because he is more fellow to most people because he is an American. Add in the fact that he is white, male, and Christian...thus cool, popular, uber-type righteous to hate him and there you have it. Add in the fact that he is the one who is supposed to be int he closet and I imagine some can taste urine at the mention of his name.

But one of the biggest problems with Americans is they think and talk further than there arms have reach...this keeps them on the path of utter nothingness. Falwell spoke his opinion and he his allegedly protected by the fundamental doctrine of this country. The things that are applied and practiced in the Middle East are half a world away...and occur outside of the inalienable and sovereign rights of this country. Neither will change by a bunch of powerless talkers who like to run their cranial orifice (none of whom could bust a grape with a sledge hammer)! But this is where many people love to throw down the gauntlet...loving the fact that it never hits the ground! They can then exercise platitudes and a show of recited recipe righteousness without being held accountable to applying action. This is all nothing more than the self-god renaissance version of, "But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments." ...and, "Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers."
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests