Music Guys?????

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Music Guys?????

Postby WoVeU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I have been really upset for a long while as I had not played my guitar more than 2 or 3 hours in about 13 or 14 months. I picked it up last week for a sloppy, tick me off, bad time. Then picked it up again Saturday I think, and man, things just came out...and new stuff was trying to jump off the strings.

I went through something similar 2 other times in my life. Has anybody else been through this? An improvement (at least creatively) from too much time away. I feel like I could write again...and I haven't written a song since 03 or 04. (If this desire starts churning I will walk around even more ticked about being mired in work. When I was just coming to grips with the idea that God wants me working at these things he gave me the ability to do. {And I sort of recall me saying that I would put those shears to some fields here and there if he provided the sharpening and tempering. I like to forget about that some times.})
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Music Guys?????

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:48 pm

I couldn't write a song if my life depended on it. Or anything else really. Doss is a music man.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Spence wrote:I couldn't write a song if my life depended on it. Or anything else really. Doss is a music man.

Derek too. I believe he is still somewhere around the anger stage over the Dawgs.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Spence wrote:I couldn't write a song if my life depended on it. Or anything else really. Doss is a music man.

Derek too. I believe he is still somewhere around the anger stage over the Dawgs.

You are EXACTLY right.

I used to be over a loss a few hours after it happened.....but this season is BEYOND ticking me off. It is "literally" affecting my personality. :cry:

I want some changes...if they don't make a bowl game this year...I want Richt gone.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Derek wrote:
WoVeU wrote:

You are EXACTLY right.

I used to be over a loss a few hours after it happened.....but this season is BEYOND ticking me off. It is "literally" affecting my personality. :cry:

I want some changes...if they don't make a bowl game this year...I want Richt gone.

I have been undergoing the opposite effect. Losses bother me for about an hour. Used to be days sometimes.

I have finally starting finding that "I can" control what I do by how I think. (Yeah, the obvious ways, yeah, saw those.) But deeper rooted stuff, I had a hard time seeing that, let alone make any gains. But down to stuff like this, I just kept telling myself, I can't let something like "my team" losing really bother me! Watching pro football and being a Raider fan helped. Hey, you could see 30 seconds after a 21 point loss at home that it really didn't bother the players. So I worked from there, college kids, well the loss won't bother them in a week. And so on. And I also made sure I didn't personalize things too far. I speak of the Eers (sometimes catching myself saying "we are playing") and I speak in terms of what "they" or the "Mountaineers", or "WVU" is doing...not us and not we. This keeps their accomplishments from being mine, and their mistakes and failures from being mine. (Nobody gave me credit for their victories anyway (I'll never understand that :lol: ) and only one team can win the NC! My life is much simpler now, and it belongs to me and who I choose to share it with!
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:44 pm

I am over most Ark losses quickly following the game. However, the Bama loss was hard for me...took me a few days to stop thinking about what might have been. When you get down too it football is just a game. I love the Razorbacks but I try not to let my fandom control my life. I have to remember that I have my health, a great wife, a sweet baby girl, wonderful family and friends, a roof over my head, and food on my table....and a Ark loss takes none of those things away.

As for the music question: I too have experienced that before....moments, or hours, or sometimes days at a time when creativity just seem to flood out all at once. My job is to write music on a daily basis: for film, for school bands, for college professors, etc. Some days it is just plain hard to do. But when those special moments arise it is like magic...it just happens and there really is no way to explain it. I guess it would be similar to an athlete being In the zone.

I would love to hear some of the music you have written. Do have links to any of your sngs? Here is s link to my sight. If you get achance check it out. I would love to hear what you think.

http://web.mac.com/jeremydosscomposer
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Doss I have never recorded anything. (Not on anything worth a dang.)

I will have to check your stuff out. I won't until this weekend, I take checking out someone's work pretty seriously. And I have to write code tonight and put my sister's washer back together. I'll check back in.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Okay Doss I fixed my sister washing machine. And I don't feel like coding.

I only checked out one song so far, "Lost In This Moment." Very good song, I am always inclined to say who I hear doing a song, if that jumps into my head, this one, Diamond Rio. Good word pictures and I caught a few unique catchy lines. And I have only had one listen. For me the song comes with "too clean" of a vocal performance, sounds like a session/studio guy (back-up singer). He's too even tempered for my taste. His treatments at line endings lack that little roll off here, or rest-then-snap there, etc. for me these really adds tone color and aids the tension and resolve. And I am not sure yet, but I think twice I would have looked to add 2 or 4 syllables to a lyric to mechanically induce tension in that line. I love a bridge, one time pre-chorus and work like that, especially laid on the relative minor or alternative chord voicing. But the vocalist has to put his ante in to color it up. I really like the song, I think it is about 30 to 40 minutes of studio interaction away (with a vocalist and guitarist) to bring it all out.

(And for relativity, I have at least this many points on most songs I hear on the radio. So it may be a style thing with me. Even some of my favorite songs, big hits, I often change a thing or 2 when I do them.)
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 am

I'm not a music guy (I listen only)....but I was impressed, Doss.

Listened to your work...you are a talent. My wife was nodding to one of your ballads and said.."women will love him".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:57 am

Doss...I applaud your work. You are a very talented young man. I looked at some of the scores you arranged and was in awe. Congratulations on a career you love.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I used a demo service to record the songs I have on my website. So, they do try to keep the vocals clean for pitching purposes. WoVeU you are correct the singer is a long time backup/studio singer in Nashville. Thanks for the feedback...I do appreciate it. My background and training is orchestral and band music...however I do enjoy writing songs (more of a hobby now...the instrumental music is what pays the bills).
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Dossenator wrote:Thanks for the kind words everyone. I used a demo service to record the songs I have on my website. So, they do try to keep the vocals clean for pitching purposes. WoVeU you are correct the singer is a long time backup/studio singer in Nashville. Thanks for the feedback...I do appreciate it. My background and training is orchestral and band music...however I do enjoy writing songs (more of a hobby now...the instrumental music is what pays the bills).

Then it is an extremely good song! It is as should be, clean and not fully characterized. I saw what I'd do with it, so would a real singer song-songwriter. (This is the part that makes them feel special, even though 92% of the work is done! :D )
R. Reagan

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 pm

WoVeU wrote:I have been really upset for a long while as I had not played my guitar more than 2 or 3 hours in about 13 or 14 months. I picked it up last week for a sloppy, tick me off, bad time. Then picked it up again Saturday I think, and man, things just came out...and new stuff was trying to jump off the strings.

I went through something similar 2 other times in my life. Has anybody else been through this? An improvement (at least creatively) from too much time away. I feel like I could write again...and I haven't written a song since 03 or 04. (If this desire starts churning I will walk around even more ticked about being mired in work. When I was just coming to grips with the idea that God wants me working at these things he gave me the ability to do. {And I sort of recall me saying that I would put those shears to some fields here and there if he provided the sharpening and tempering. I like to forget about that some times.})

I actually know exactly what you are talking about since I just went through this myself. Back in the late 80's early 90's I was writing songs all the time...had about 13, and then it just ended. Looking back now, I know what did it...divorce, losing my daughter, basically crappy life stuff.

But, last August, I finally started talking to my daughter again, after 7 years of nothing. It took a little while to get our feet back on the ground and feel each other out, but what was really amazing was how much we had in common after 7 year apart. I used to sing to her all the time, and we would do all that silly Disney stuff together. I couldn't believe she remembered this one song I used to sing her all the time by "Chris DeBurgh".

Well, we started talking music, she sings and plays the piano, and I started singing some of the songs I wrote to her, and all of the sudden I got the bug to write songs again and banged to out in as many weeks. These were ideas I had stuck in my head for about 10 years, but never did anything with.

What was really cool was that even though she sang and played, she had never written anything herself. All of a sudden I get the excited e-mail with lyrics to a song she wrote. I called her and had her play it over the phone for me...it was awesome.

I know I'm rambling, but having my daughter back in my life means so much to me right now, and I finally have my muse back.

Also, she is a student at Oregon St., so we get to talk college football and trash talk each other when Cal plays Oregon St....it's a blast.

ok...i'm done. :oops:
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:10 pm

It is very cool to get to reconnect with your daughter. No matter what happened, you can't get back what you lost, but you can move forward from here. Good luck.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Absolutely...God bless you both....that is how it is suppose to be.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “Off-Topic”