All The Way To The Top...yet...

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

All The Way To The Top...yet...

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm

still a victim!!!

"Old School" - Only in America can a man rise from, err-uh, humble beginnings to the Presidency.

"New School" - And still be a victim!

*He has put more blame on Fox News in 20 months, than Republicans ever laid at the feet of all of the major networks, newspapers, and magazines in 20 (collected) years in the White House. What cracks me up...is how the Uber-Liberals and the Networks like to talk about Fox being right-wing and not centered! That is just hilarious to me. :roll:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Re: All The Way To The Top...yet...

Postby Dossenator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:21 pm

I hear you and agree completely. I know last year that Obama did not allow Fox news in on a speach or something alng those lines. Is that not illegal? He said that he wanted to bring people together yet a month ago he told the Republcans to shut their mouths and let him and the dens get their jobs dne. Obama is just unreal. How many more days do we have of him n the White House...anyone keeping track?
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 pm

27 months. Remember, they don't shoot the bad ones!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:19 pm

841 days, 22 hours, 41 minutes.

As long as the American people use common sense in November 2012.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Any Historians about? (I seem to recall that only once has a party not nominated a sitting president.) The Dems might want to consider that.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:25 pm

I have a hard time believing that Obama won't get his party's nomination.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 pm

WoVeU wrote:Any Historians about? (I seem to recall that only once has a party not nominated a sitting president.) The Dems might want to consider that.

Yep. Majored in college, although more European history. Cold War was my thing.

The President you are thinking of was Franklin Pierce, who governed from 1853-57. He contested the 1856 nomination but lost to James Buchanan. Buchanan went on to win a plurality in a three way race over John C. Fremont and Millard Fillmore. This was during the turbulence of the ante-bellum period, during which just about every election and public policy decision centered around the differences for free and slave states.

There are some other more recent examples that the Democrats should watch very closely though.

Harry Truman bowed out in 1952, although he was eligible to run for another term, despite the 22nd amendment. He was late in making his decision, which hurt his VP, Alben Barkley in early primaries. The party nominated Adlai Stevenson, and lost.

LBJ famously opted not to run in 1968. This left Bobby Kennedy, Eugene McCarthy, and Hubert Humphrey who took the nomination and was destroyed by Nixon. Had RFK not been shot, he may have won the nomination, but his chances of defeating Nixon are overinflated among the legends of the Kennedy family. Democrat fatigue was an issue after 8 years that included the far left programs of LBJ. Nixon would have been a favorite over just about any candidate.

Ronald Reagan attempted to primary Gerald Ford in 1976 and nearly did so - mostly due to differences within the party. Ford was a moderate; Reagan was a Goldwater-style conservative. Ford still lost, Reagan may have done somewhat better, though not a lock to defeat Carter. He did better waiting until '80.

In 1980, Ted Kennedy tried to primary Jimmy Carter, and took him to the convention. The party stuck with Carter. The nation went with Reagan.

In short, recent examples show that if you are a sitting President, and have done such a rotten job* that you either have to face a significant primary challenger or opt not to run out of fear of losing to one, then chances are the country won't have much use for your party in November anyway. Take note, Hillary.

*I actually don't think Ford did a rotten job. He handled his situation as best he could and did a lot to see the Watergate era put behind us. Nevertheless, he was never popular.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:32 pm

BRB, I almost included my doubt of it doing any good what so ever, with many 3 kinds of sick and 2 kinds of tired of the entire party. I am glad I ddin't...Nice follow-up. We like educated folk. But they let me hang out anyway. :?
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Good post Mr Roastbeef. I HIGHLY doubt that they will try, unless things get really bad like I expect they will.

To replace a sitting President in the Primaries, is to admit that the agenda (health care, etc etc) was wrong in the first place. Changing the face of your party won't do any good.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”