McChrystal

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: McChrystal

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I backed Romney in 2008 and will probably support him again should he run in 2012. Of the candidates, I believe he is the most qualified to bring this country out of the economic mess that Obama has us wallowing in. Romney's career has been about taking failing businesses that are hemorrhaging money and making the necessary cuts and changes to make them successful. He's argued articulately about what the Obama administration should have done about the issues of the past year and a half (although, unfortunately his reasoned responses haven't gained nearly as much attention as Palin's facebook quotes and catchphrases). I think Romney would do the most to return to a sane budget for this country and to restore economic stability.

I don't know about Romney's VP pick, but he would probably need a southern conservative with support among Social conservatives. Huckabee could be a likely choice if the two can find a way to get along. If Huckabee runs in the primary against Romney though, I'd expect much more conflict from the two of them.

Bobby Jindal would make a good VP too. His star is on the rise again, as he seems to be one of the few willing to lead down in the Gulf. Haley Barbour as well.

As for Palin, I think she is a good activist, but I don't know that she could handle a leadership position... she didn't seem to like it as Gov. of Alaska once the national attention was on her. I fear that she would be our answer to Obama - a decent speaker, strong personality, but not quite up to the demands of the job.

Other than those, I don't know... Chris Christie seems to be working in the right mold in NJ. He has been tough with the big unions and willing to cut unnecessary spending. Nevertheless, with the way the GOP tends to nominate established candidates, I don't know if he would get far in the primary in 2012. Too soon for him to be trying for the Presidency really... but I like the work that he is doing down there. Tim Pawlenty might emerge as a strong candidate out of Minnesota, but hasn't done anything to stand out yet.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:46 am

You all are correct. 8) 8) 8) 8)

The only problem with Ron Paul is that he doesn't know when to tell the truth and when to be quiet during the campaigns. I saw him in an interview with Bernanke (a complete newbie to economics) when he suggested that the Federal Reserve funded the shooting of Kennedy.

So he makes these outlandish claims at the completely wrong times, without offering any evidence to back it up, allowing the press to cut and slice it anyway they want which virtually destroys him.

And he also got his popularity from being anti-war, causing some Dem's to vote in the Republican primary's (which I can't freakin stand it when that happens!!)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:54 pm

donovan wrote:
Eric wrote:Ron Paul is about the only "fiscal conservative" on the map right now. No other nominee would seriously consider stopping to spend money. Electing somebody like Paul is trying to work within the system to change the system's goals, which is increasing power. One way or another, it's just not going to happen.

I think you are correct. He subscribes to the Austrian Economics philosophy and and has excellent libertarian,(note the small l) ideals. The problem with Paul is electability. He is a great "clean sheet of paper" man, but we do not nor will we have a clean sheet of paper. Right now, in my opinion, the best chance for change is Mitt Romney. I think he stands a reasonable chance of not being sucked into the establishment as most politicians. We need radical change, more of the same is not going to make one iota of difference. Right now....as opposed as they are and with the disparaging verbiage between them, I would for the sake of discussion suggest a Romney-Huckabee ticket.

I tihnk you are probably right, but I would hate Romney being in charge of anything. He has bankrupt his home state with the same sort of universal heathcare system the Obama admin. and Dems have push on the country. Romney isn't a conservative. At least not in his actions.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”