Vileborg and WoVU

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Vileborg and WoVU

Postby billybud » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey guys...June 6,She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be mounting the Harley in the dawn hours and heading north. We plan to tour the "Crooked Road" of Virginia and to stay a couple of nights at the River Bend Lodge in Pearisburg. We will be touring around Blacksburg/Christiansburg and on up the West Virginia line towards Paint Bank.

Any recommendations on restaurants, places to see, etc? We will hit some of the wineries between Blacksburg and Floyd.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Vileborg and WoVU

Postby WoVeU » Sun May 30, 2010 11:22 pm

I do not know that area well at all. I have only traveled through...but if I recall the correct geography, it is beautiful. An oft victim of road-radio hypnosis, the best wrong turn I ever made was heading North towards Blacksburg rather than South to SC. June should be nice, April and October literally stir my soul...especially October.

I have increasingly become a fan of experiencing the root culture. I keep an eye open for restaurants that are obviously privately and very personally owned. The meals are almost always great and anything you might be looking for is a just a few questions away.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon May 31, 2010 10:43 am

I am with you on that WoVeU...root culture, that is.

We may get up to Beckley for no other reason than to see where the Stillings side of my family migrated from....we are debating taking the back roads to tiny Mullens WV to check out the Hauks family's old stomping grounds.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 pm

If you are on the Iron Horse any backroad (that doesn't go gravel) is worth taking on its own merits in the appies.

And a note for future exploring. The "Virginia's" border land (+/- 50 miles or so) is first on my list to slow tour if I ever get to do a serious road trip. But, one for later consideration, the skinny of Maryland and WV. Cumberland, Ma is probably the most scenic town I have seen, it stirs something in me every time I go through.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:21 am

Thanks WoVeU...my family tells me to avoid approaching Mullens from the east...really bad road. We may not try that town.

We are running the southern border from Bristol, TN...through Va at Abingdon, Independence, than up to Blacksburg and Pearisburg...than into WV along the border to Paint Bank.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Are you just going to "shadow" I-81? That is good all by itself. I don't know of a more scenic Interstate than 81. Just off of it even better.

I figure you are one guy who has out-miled me on these roads of ours. But to be sure, Summer in the Appies (Tenn/NC to Maryland) means plenty of construction, they just love construction. And they ain't too up to date on night time work. Add in severe thunder storms, drunks, and people who simply can not drive a dry lick...and it is always a good idea to have an Interstate and/or a major state route in your hip pocket, within 15 miles would be my general target. Certain points of interest means dishonoring such conventions. A blocked road in those hills often means retracement...or bold adventuring!

I will add, the last time I got stuck (w/ all the familia) was due to construction in the tunnel areas of Va/WVa. We finally took the first road off of 77, after all male occupants had used the thunder-jugs. When the GPS got lost, I was left to the latent genes of my ancestors that has always gotten me out of unknown woodlands. That turned out well, saw things I never plan on seeing again. But a good bit of thanks goes to a new adaptation of mine...keeping the tank above 65 miles of range when traveling!
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”