This struck me as funny.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

This struck me as funny.

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Today I heard the a guy on the news that said 45% of people in this country do not pay any tax - once refunds are handed out. Maybe two stories later they read a poll that said 55% of people thought taxes were unfair and 45% said the tax structure was about right. :lol: :lol:

It is hard for me to believe that we have 45% of people in this country who do not pay any income tax. :shock:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This struck me as funny.

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Sad.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 pm

If you don't have a system where a goodly percentage do not pay taxes, the redistribution of income does not work and the moral superiority of those elected officials...the same ones that decided we would give the avarice infested bankers and financiers, money after the stole it from the general populace.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am

Spence wrote:Today I heard the a guy on the news that said 45% of people in this country do not pay any tax - once refunds are handed out. Maybe two stories later they read a poll that said 55% of people thought taxes were unfair and 45% said the tax structure was about right. :lol: :lol:

It is hard for me to believe that we have 45% of people in this country who do not pay any income tax. :shock:

I could have given you that number! I have been touting that for a few years now. Not too hard to figure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States
You can see that Income up to $35k you encapsulate 37.71% of Americans (but this is households). At that level single people with no kids would pay some tax, if you have lingering 1040s in your head you can probably figure that. So you could pretty much take out 3%. Age 22-27 is about 1/9th of the labor force. ~40% would have no dependents. They'd have to pay. But you could make up that percentage and more up through $55 or 60k per year. With EIC and dependents helping a good deal through $42k. Above that you make up more with younger married couples who have a few kids and a mortgage.

And even 6 years ago the number was already 32.4%.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/542.html
There are many more breaks now, more part-timers, and lower paying jobs.

The sad part of all of this...THIS IS INCOME HAVING AMERICANS! This doesn't include all of those who don't work at all and those who work under the table exclusively. Many non-workers would be included. Those who get SSI and Cash assistance could file..and very likely would as they not only pay tax but get a fat check in return.

So you are talking about over 50% of Americans of working age didn't pay taxes last year. And something around 2/3 to 7/8ths of those got money back beyond a full return...from just a few dollars up to even $5.5k.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”