WWII in HD on the History Channel

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

WWII in HD on the History Channel

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Anyone else watching this multi episode documentary. It is WWII video footage..all in color...all in High Definition. It is amazing how seeing it in color can have a bigger impact. The interviews with the veterans are great. I shed a few tears...and can't wait for the next episode...will probably shed a few more (reminds me of my grandparents, some of the images are graphic and disheartening, etc, etc).

This should be shown in all schools across the country.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WWII in HD on the History Channel

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Crap. Forgot about it....are they going to show it again?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes...the first part premeired yesterday and I watched it again today at lunch. I am sure they will play it again as well. I have only seen the first part. I think it is a 5 part series (maybe more).

It is incredible! This will be something I buy when it is available for purchase.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Dossenator wrote:Anyone else watching this multi episode documentary. It is WWII video footage..all in color...all in High Definition. It is amazing how seeing it in color can have a bigger impact. The interviews with the veterans are great. I shed a few tears...and can't wait for the next episode...will probably shed a few more (reminds me of my grandparents, some of the images are graphic and disheartening, etc, etc).

Ah, back when America was filled with real men! I am so glad we fixed the Hell out of that. I have to be careful before I view these things (like many others) now-a-days. I am impressed and have a true sense of honor when I look back on those times, just by the fiber of those men. But then I look around me... :roll: :? :|
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Part 1 of 10 is playing tonight on the history channel at 7 pm on the west coast. I am sure it will be playing sometime tonight in you neck of the woods.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:10 am

I am currently watching part 3 of 10...they are going to show part 4 right after.

To see this footage in color is amazing. Seeing workers in the factories, the men on ship relaxing and having fun....then the horrific images of tangled dead bodies, the one that gets me everytime is part of the opening of each episode (a little girl all alone getting water from an American soldier...it just breaks your hear).

Seeing it in color and in HD makes it seem as if it could have been yesterday.

My grandfather, his four brothers all served in WWII or Korea, and three of his 5 sisters were nurses in WWII. Only 3 of the 10 are still living. They were truly a great generation. My grandfather will always be my hero.

Wow...some of these images are hard to take. They hold nothing back....everyone should see this so they truly undertand what these young men sacrificed.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Anyone else watching this multi episode documentary. It is WWII video footage..all in color...all in High Definition. It is amazing how seeing it in color can have a bigger impact. The interviews with the veterans are great. I shed a few tears...and can't wait for the next episode...will probably shed a few more (reminds me of my grandparents, some of the images are graphic and disheartening, etc, etc).

Ah, back when America was filled with real men! I am so glad we fixed the Hell out of that. I have to be careful before I view these things (like many others) now-a-days. I am impressed and have a true sense of honor when I look back on those times, just by the fiber of those men. But then I look around me... :roll: :? :|

You hit on something there. "The fiber" of those men.

We are NOT the same as we were in those days. I don't know if it's TV, technology, complacency, lack of faith, or any combination of things...but we are not the same.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Derek wrote:You hit on something there. "The fiber" of those men.

We are NOT the same as we were in those days. I don't know if it's TV, technology, complacency, lack of faith, or any combination of things...but we are not the same.

The answer is...yes. You hit on something there!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 pm

One thing I know...I know...I know. It may be rather difficult to assess the source and case of certain deficiencies. But the proof...THE proof...that a problem does exist...beyond the shadow of a doubt...ladies and gentlemen...defense exhibit A: Guitar Hero & Rock Band!

Seriously :? ...seriously :roll: ....seeeriouuuuusly????? :shock: :? :roll: How many sales? How many hours do these people play these games? How many versions?

Seriously..can it be...seriously :roll:
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:35 pm

But that being said...I will be out buying my oldest a new drum kit for the darned thing! That is the one thing that has some merit and a little skill development. (Because as much as I hate the thing. I can't stand to hear them talk into the mic and flip and click that plastic guitar like they are doing something. They could at least apply some Fourier Transforms to the vocals as half the score.)\

Done venting!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:54 pm

People do not want their kids to work now. The buy them new cars for their 16th birthday. They give them money in lieu of a job. You hear parents say their schoolwork is their job. I didn't know one kid from my high school that didn't have a job. They didn't need to have a job to help support their family. They needed a job to learn responsibility. Now even the ones who get jobs treat them as a novelty. The business owners need to work around their schedules. When I was a kid, if you wanted to keep your job you work when the employer scheduled you.

Kids also don't play outside. I have to run mine outside. When I was a kid my mom had to come looking for me to come in. We had our own baseball leagues, football leagues, and basketball leagues - not counting the organized ones. We played everyday. We kept stats. We had tournaments. When on was over we moved to the next sport. Kids of all ages played. That doesn't happen any more, at least not around here.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:39 pm

I don't think this just applies to kids. Most adults spend more time inside. In man ways much of middle America works more hours and often commute more (cumulative, both parents). And it seems everything is a bigger PITA now-a-days. All the financial instruments, insurances, utility and "near" utility bills...would seem to be things we always had. But for all the new ways of doing them they can still be a pain, everything seems to be 9 pages and I see so many things that have line after line of sub-dollar charges and taxes. I still feel like I do paperwork all the time, and squeezing in dental or doctor appointments takes a minor miracle sometimes. I don't know how but all the kids homework means homework for me...and even though they have 2 sets of books. I find we have to go to Wal-Mart every other week to pick up stuff for "projects"...that are stupid. Between these things, the wife's extra-duties she gets involved in...the kid's ROTC (which is also a joke...you'd think an E-9 and an O-6 could come up with something constructive, and could schedule and coordinate functions and requirements, NO, uh-uh)...everything just seems a hassle and very erratic! From the great sum, I know I don't do the things with my kids that my dad did.

And something that really gets me. By 8th grade English was all I had that my mom could help with for school work. Me, I'm still waiting...I need the break!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:01 am

Heck with the kids projects. Grab a ball an go outside and play with them. I even try to play soccer with my kids. They roll their eyes, but we get to run a little and that is the goal.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:17 am

I get it in sometimes (not enough.) Usually when I grab the basketball and head to the park they all go.

One of my big problems is all of the moving and new jobs. And every time I get a new one I walk into a pile of things they know they haven't done and 2 more piles they didn't know they were doing, and I am in the middle of them constructing a new mess. AND wouldn't you know it...they now need everything done in a few months. Hours+ hours + more hours. And guess what else, with a new job means a new vacation allotment starting at year 0. It is just crazy.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 am

I had a cardinal rule in our house when the kids were in school. I did not allow them to do schoolwork at home.

I would send a note to the teachers. Homework is mowing the grass, cleaning your room, emptying the trash. Schoolwork is done at school and homework is done at home. I will only allow schoolwork to be done at home when the student fails to utilize their time properly in school.

I started this when our first born came home a ream of ditto'ed papers to do at home that was busy work to the max.

At home, they read books, played games and enjoyed our family. Dinner discussions was where they learned what their mother and I believed and thought and we listened to them as to what they believed.

It was not as simple as I have stated, but I can tell you our kids all four of them, we lost one, are doing well.

It was constant struggle, the kids did not like it, and I had to reestablish my position several times a year, but I think it was worth it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “Off-Topic”