WWII in HD on the History Channel

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Re: WWII in HD on the History Channel

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

Spence....I was born in 1976...so I grew up during the 1980's and was in high school during the early 90's. Life in Northwest Arkansas was exactly as you explained it was for you. I got home for school and could not wait to grab the football, the mit and ball, or go for a ride on my bike. All the kids knew one another in the neigborhood and we played until our mom's said it was time to eat dinner. I had an Atari and later a nintendo but my mom...like most then...monitored the amount of time we were allowed to play on them. Most of my free time was spent outside.

I also remember mowing lawns when I was 12 and 13 to make a little money and then my parents teaching me how to be responsible with that money, when I was 14 and 15 (I worked for a friend of my fathers in the summers in his welding shop, as well as picking berries, and occassionally loading hay on the back of trucks...not fun but it paid), then at 16 it was fast food and then later a warehouse job (I bought my own vehicle, paid my own taxes, purchased my own gas, paid for my own school lunches, etc...I was pretty independent at 16). All my buddies had jobs too...we all did quite well in school and most of us went on to college. Many of my close friends from high school went on to attain master's and doctorate degrees. Having a job did not hurt us...in fact I will agrue it actually helped us for life after high school. I had early out in high school so I could work more (my home town currently does not have early out anymore and have raised the requirements for graduation yet again...lots of kids who want to be in more then one activity have to take classes at the local community college so they can even graduate from high school...crazy world we live in.

I am thankful that my parents allowed me to have jobs growing up. None of my younger cousins, or neices and nephews who are teenagers have ever had a job....their parents also say school is their job. I have one cousin who just turned 20...still lives at home...just got his first job and pretty much can not function without his mother....he does not have his drivers license and has no ambition to get it....sad state of affairs if you ask me....and I think it is safe to presume that there is a whole generation of people just like my cousin.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:41 am

donovan wrote:I had a cardinal rule in our house when the kids were in school. I did not allow them to do schoolwork at home.

I would send a note to the teachers. Homework is mowing the grass, cleaning your room, emptying the trash. Schoolwork is done at school and homework is done at home. I will only allow schoolwork to be done at home when the student fails to utilize their time properly in school.

I started this when our first born came home a ream of ditto'ed papers to do at home that was busy work to the max.

At home, they read books, played games and enjoyed our family. Dinner discussions was where they learned what their mother and I believed and thought and we listened to them as to what they believed.

It was not as simple as I have stated, but I can tell you our kids all four of them, we lost one, are doing well.

It was constant struggle, the kids did not like it, and I had to reestablish my position several times a year, but I think it was worth it.

I understand the struggle. I give mine the same kinds of homework. It is a constant struggle. I have smart kids. The oldest could be in mensa. When I tell them to clean up their room or something like that, they all turn into complete morons, they lose their site, and their sense of smell. They don't understand what needs to be done in their room. They don't see the miles of clothes piled on the floor, and they don't smell the trash that needs emptied.

I do allow schoolwork at home if needed. They have the first hour they walk in the door, unless it is a project - like science fair or something like that. After that- if they have their work done, they can go play. I promote sports at home. They would rather play barbies. I have girls and have never really understood women of any age. :oops:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:18 am

Donovan, my condolences for you loss.

I try to do about what Spence does, but I have watched it fail repeatedly. The hour elapsed and they might get 1/2 way done, sometimes nothing (that was right.) I have to teach and demonstrate again and again. (I swear there is something in the diet we have now that is eroding memory...there has to be something physical on top of all the other problems.)

We got very frustrated with this. My wife went to my youngest kid's school and was basically appalled at the lack of learning environment. Kids bouncing off the walls and the teacher mostly just pressing on with few or none getting things on paper.

On chores, my kids do what I tell them when I tell them. But I have to tell them...their sight and smell also seems to suffer!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”