Baseball

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Baseball

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:00 am

We always keep score. I agree that sometimes the score isn't as important. At home most of the time it isn't important. I believe no matter what you do your best to win. If you do that, the score isn't that important. I do think it is a measure of how you are doing. It shouldn't replace fun, though, because if it does then you missed the point.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Bad officiating in baseball too....anyone watch the Yankees and Angels...clearly Cano and Pasoda were tagged out with neither of them on the bag....however, Cano was called safe. Here is the proof (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,197210). At least the ump after the game had the back bond to say I blew the call.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Dossenator wrote:Bad officiating in baseball too....anyone watch the Yankees and Angels...clearly Cano and Pasoda were tagged out with neither of them on the bag....however, Cano was called safe. Here is the proof (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,197210). At least the ump after the game had the back bond to say I blew the call.

Officiating miscues are a part of baseball. It is as excepted as stealing a base.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Spence wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Bad officiating in baseball too....anyone watch the Yankees and Angels...clearly Cano and Pasoda were tagged out with neither of them on the bag....however, Cano was called safe. Here is the proof (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,197210). At least the ump after the game had the back bond to say I blew the call.

Officiating miscues are a part of baseball. It is as excepted as stealing a base.

They should not be...especially when they are as blatant as this one. Not even a close call. I watched the game last night and could not believe what I was watching....luckily this call did not factor into the outcome of this game. Yankees destroyed the Angels.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Of course we want good calls in baseball..but Spence is absolutely correct, baseball incorporates the umpires in the rules. Rule 9 covers it. The rules say how to challenge bad calls, penalties for violations.....it is part of the game....and when it is done...game goes on.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Which as a player you have to deal with the calls. It is part of the game and you must overcome it. I had a coach that if he heard someone complaining about the officials during the game, he would tell you to do something about it. Make up for it and don't ever let an official have that power.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Keeping score...is also one manner of the personal best thing in track. In golf you are really playing the course and yourself! In basketball, it is about 50/50...similar to baseball (pitcher to batter.) Football is much more playing your opponent as the team effect is dominant on most plays...but when you play the line...25% playing yourself I think. The opponent is pretty much there the whole game, combinations on doubles and stunts change...but you know when you fired too late, stepped too wide. I guess you always play yourself in all sports. There is no scoreboard for a DE and a Tackle but they know darn well who is winning!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

I think in every sport you are playing against yourself. Pushing to be the best you can be.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Officials should not be a part of the game...period!!! Except for baseball, I really like baseball (even though I have abstained), it is the chess of sports. The officials are very interactive portion. You have to adjust. (They say this in other sports but it is much tougher. As there are many things they are watching for.) In baseball an ump has a rather succinct job and you can say the same thing as you go around the infield. It is very different. I also think more than any other sport, dad's could walk at there in Little League and do those jobs...better than football and basketball. I think this has fed into the acceptable differentiation of the baseball officials.

This brings in salesmanship and style which is an important part of chess. Think about and realize how guys practice their steps to the bag where they often don't touch the bag...but they sell it! And pitchers...their entire goal is to make a ball look like a strike...at least to one of the 2 guys no ton his team at the plate. And the guy on his team is selling just as hard and probably harder. Framing a pitch is an art form. Catching the cheat is an art form as well! :wink:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 am

If you think officials are not or should not be part of the game....you have defined the problem so there is no solution. That is what we do best in America, that way we can just keep studying everything.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm

If you had ever played in a good sandlot game in my neighborhood growing up you would change your mind about officials. There were some real knock-down-drag-outs because of disagreements over whether or not someone was tagged. :wink:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Spence wrote:If you had ever played in a good sandlot game in my neighborhood growing up you would change your mind about officials. There were some real knock-down-drag-outs because of disagreements over whether or not someone was tagged. :wink:

And the point is....it got resolved so you can keep playing.....or you switched to wrestling...in either case....the games continued because who wanted to go home...there may be chores there waiting to be done.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 pm

donovan wrote:I am not sure, but I will, confess that I have been watching more baseball than football.

You should be IP banned with extreme prejudice. 8) :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:07 pm

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:If you had ever played in a good sandlot game in my neighborhood growing up you would change your mind about officials. There were some real knock-down-drag-outs because of disagreements over whether or not someone was tagged. :wink:

And the point is....it got resolved so you can keep playing.....or you switched to wrestling...in either case....the games continued because who wanted to go home...there may be chores there waiting to be done.

Very true. We actually learned to call ourselves out. It really was a good life lesson......and sometimes we learned to wrestle. :lol:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 pm

No officials....another good reason to play tackle instead of touch. The ground is rarely wrong. Note - touch football is not football...it is freeze-tag with a pigskin!
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”