Music question?

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Music question?

Postby WoVeU » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 pm

I know Doss is a music guy...I thought we had another?

I was 20 before I ever touched a guitar...but the guy who got me started made me learn the numbers behind the Keys and Scales. Now my kid is trying to learn (let's see how long that lasts) and he, like others I see don't seem to be interested in the system. They want to play songs and want to know what chords work together and scales as far patterns go I guess. But don't care why it works. I know I have seen many players and even people who wrote songs (a couple of guys really good ones) but didn't know the science of it. I knew a girl who was 1st or 2nd Piccolo at WVU, didn't know squat!

Is this common?

And I am just talking rather simple things like chord constructions: 1, 3, 5....whole-step the 3rd for a minor, another half for suspended 2nd, sharpen the 3rd for a suspended 4th (I love suspended chords). Things of this nature, 1, 4, 5 basic progression....relative minors. Not even talking about scale modes or inversions or anything. (Oh and my knowledge is better than my ability. I chord and throw some little stuff in.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Music question?

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:29 am

I've been playing bass for 20 years, and can not read music to save my life.

I know scales on the bass, and I know the notes by heart. As far as theory....completely lost.

i play by feel. I usually play with charts, and the actual beats or "feel" of it...is completely made up on the fly. But loosely based on what I've heard on the CD.

I understand the Number system, as that's what most studio guys use...but I don't have it memorized enough to play it cold. Though I do know it.

I also hate click tracks, as I would rather follow a drummer. If the drummer is on, I'm on...if he's off, I'm off. I stick with him, and his kick pattern.

To be honest, I hate too much structure in music from the studio standpoint. I've done studio work, and wanted to shoot myself while we were working on it. IT SUCKS!!! It's boring and IMO, sucks ALL the life out of music. I understand that's the "business" of music, but I'm not a professional music dude...I play on Sunday mornings at different church's, and do simple stuff like Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Third Day, etc etc....I think I'm considered semi-pro because I'm paid to play at different places. I rarely play without getting money.

Anyways, I hope I explained myself somewhat. There were a few rabbits in this response and none of them were caught.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Knowing the foundation of music can never hurt....in fact if you want to be great it is a must. In my opinion (unless you just have an incredible ear) to be a very good to great musician you have to know the theory behind what you are doing. I have met and spoke to many studio musicians in Los Angeles....trust me, they all know theory, and know it well. Most if not all are classically trained musicians. Many of them have the incredible ears I was referring too above....pair that up with knowledge of theory and you have a musical beast.

I understand that learning scales, how to spell chords, what different scales and chords sound like and why, chord progressions, inversions, etc, etc, etc. can be boring (actually I love it). I compare it to being a carpenter....if you don't know how to use a ruler, a level, know the difference between different kind of screws, etc then how well can you build anything. The problem is so many people pick up an instrument...like a guitar...and learn how to play one song. They push down the strings like it shows them too in these guitar magazines and strum away...they don't know why they are pushing down the strings they are told to...they can't spell the chords they are playing...they don't understand the progressions they are playing... They can play that one song and often play it well....however, when you place a new song in front of them it is like a foreign language to them. Learn to speak the language and you can play anything. There really is no shortcut.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 pm

I'll say this about learning songs and following. What does everybody learn first...say Zepplin....I cant play Stairway...the only song (well Black Dog too, used too) I know is Over the Hills (oh, use to I guess too...but it is the odd timing on that pull-off that just won't come for me without repetitive work). I couldn't play it now like I can't play many songs I wrote now.

I liked both of your responses. Both are right. Derek, you can get bogged down in technicals. I know how to construct a scale but I NEVER memorized anything outside of the E-Minor Pentatonic. I like to feel around. My favorite songs (mostly rhythm) started with some fill piece I was feeling around on. But it will bail you out! I had a buddy who played crazy well in Parkersburg, WV (really good ear). And I had talked on these things for more than a year to him. He came by my machine one night at the PO, he was stuck on a solo piece (he couldn't get out ...and nothing resolved.) I asked him what he was playing in, he said "F"...I told him to slide into D minor. He came back a few minutes later, and apologized and said he thought I had been talking trash since I knew him! He is a much player now just from asking a few questions after that and studying just a little (he had 25 years in already, and I never thought he'd learn at all, and knew he really didn't need to). Having both approaches is awesome. Oh, and Derek, you just don't construct a song by writing down technicals (at least I haven't seen it.) Where someone does it is because they can also hear the notes in their head!

By the way I think it is real cool we 3 have music in common. I like everyone here a lot...but I knew there was something awful familiar about you 2.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:58 pm

WoVeU wrote:By the way I think it is real cool we 3 have music in common. I like everyone here a lot...but I knew there was something awful familiar about you 2.

Word up! 8) :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”