Willy Gault..former NFL player still amazing w/ his speed

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Willy Gault..former NFL player still amazing w/ his speed

Postby Dossenator » Sat May 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Willy Gault 11 year NFL veteran is now 48 years old, and he still runs track. He is only about 7 tenths of a second off of his personal best that he set 25 years ago. He holds the record for the 100 meter dash for someone over 45 and runs mostly against runners in their early 20's. He looks like he could still be playing in the NFL.

Gault, who can still crack 10 seconds in the 100-yard dash, and last year ran the 40 in a blistering 4.27. Wow!!! After all those years running track and 11 years in the NFL...he still has the knees to take the pounding. He is definetely the exception I would say and not the norm.

I am almost 33 and am extremely slower than I was 13 years ago...my knees are starting to fail me.

Here is the full story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=l ... &type=lgns
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Willy Gault..former NFL player still amazing w/ his speed

Postby WoVeU » Sat May 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Dossenator wrote:Willy Gault 11 year NFL veteran is now 48 years old, and he still runs track. He is only about 7 tenths of a second off of his personal best that he set 25 years ago. He holds the record for the 100 meter dash for someone over 45 and runs mostly against runners in their early 20's. He looks like he could still be playing in the NFL.

Gault, who can still crack 10 seconds in the 100-yard dash, and last year ran the 40 in a blistering 4.27. Wow!!! After all those years running track and 11 years in the NFL...he still has the knees to take the pounding. He is definetely the exception I would say and not the norm.

I am almost 33 and am extremely slower than I was 13 years ago...my knees are starting to fail me.

Here is the full story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=l ... &type=lgns

WOW...that is the most amazing thing I've heard in a while. Thanks Doss, I feel like crap as a 38 yo who can't do anything like I used to! :wink: Oh, and I am limping around today on my left ankle....why...I didn't do anything. I have finally figured out that if I wear my boots with no inserts all week...I'll be paying for it. (Compression of scar tissue I guess.) And I won't even get into the other joint problems.

A 4.27 in the 40...at what, 47...crazy!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun May 03, 2009 12:34 pm

WoVeU...I know. I will be turning 33 this next month and I am all ready falling apart. My wife and I spent a week in San Fran in March. We walked around everywhere for 5 days. My left knee is still not right. I don't remember injuring it but the last day in San Fran it started hurting. Now I can not put any pressure on the left side of my left knee, it hurts to walk up and down stairs, and I have had mild swelling when I walk on it too much. I thought whatever the problem was it might just go away. It hasn't so I guess I am going to have to see a doctor...yuck. No way I will be anywhere near my prime if I make it to 48. This guy's body is truly amazing.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun May 03, 2009 4:38 pm

The guy's body is amazing, but I am sure most of the tribute is owed to his mind.

Unfortunately I think most my problems now are due to me using my mind too much to push my body to do things I shouldn't have done! But the pros do much of their pushing in training...doing things properly (much more so by the late 70's or early 80s). Guys anything like Gault practice what is near perfect training. Without that, "you can get there from here!"
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”