Marley and Me

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Marley and Me

Postby WoVeU » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:07 pm

A very good movie. Surprisingly good for me as I am not a big Owen Wilson fan. I really like it when the plot is basically just about life. It has a simple elegance!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Re: Marley and Me

Postby Dossenator » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:37 pm

I wondered about this one...I will have to check it out.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 pm

I got drug into it. My wife loves movies...and I thought it was going to be a chick-flick. May be but it was good!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Last weekend I got to see the worst movie ever....EV....ER! Silk! Wow, what a crapper!
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 pm

That happens to me all the time. My wife brings home a movie that I absolutely do not want to see and I end up liking it. I don't even know what Silk is so I will stay away from it.

Worst movie I have ever seen is called "Cabin Boy". Silk would have to be really bad to beat out "Cabin Boy". It stars comedian (I use the term lightly) Chris Elliot.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:20 am

Chris Elliot is not funny, goofy, but not funny!
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 am

Silk was about some French dude back in the crap in the streets days. In a smaller town that had silk mills. The guy has to travel to Japan several times to get Silk Worm eggs...and Japan was closed to trade! He falls in love with some Japanese girl, even though he has a hot and very supportive wife at home ( French girl who shaves.) It gets real stupid and you wonder if things are even real...I think they skipped the part where the lead actor and all of the crew stop in several opium dens in China!!!
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 am

I've been watching a ton of movies lately. I'm not really a fan per se of independent film, but they can sometimes deliver something Hollywood is unable to. A couple movies I watched recently were Baghead (indy film and funny if you like dry humor), I Love You Man (probably the second worst movie from the "new" crowd in comedy but worth a few laughs....I'd say Forgetting Sarah Marshall was God-awful), and I'm kind of on a tour of absolutely terrible movies for laughs. Check out "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" on Youtube and find out what I'm talking about :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Eric...Forgetting Sarah Marshall was horrible. And I love the dumb, mindless comedies.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:43 pm

I had to shut it off after making it halfway through the movie. I'm sitting there and I'm like, "......Okay, so he keeps re-encountering this chick by happenstance and he's sad about it?" That was the plot for 45 minutes. :|

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:48 am

Eric wrote:I had to shut it off after making it halfway through the movie. I'm sitting there and I'm like, "......Okay, so he keeps re-encountering this chick by happenstance and he's sad about it?" That was the plot for 45 minutes. :|

That just sounds painful. I don't know where these "artists" come up with these terrible plots and subplots that don't make any sense and drag on forever. But this kind of thing seems to get more and more common. Silk had the bonus of 2 similar phases in that flick, wonderful! Working hard and sticking to something that seemed to slip through my hands as to why this dude thinks like he does????
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:15 am

That's what bugs me about film in general. Generally, independent films have Hollywood beat as far as plots and characters go, but the acting is generally worse because they don't have big budgets. Hollywood is generally the exact opposite. Only once in a while will a film have both qualities, like There Will Be Blood.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Films like Sarah Marshall think if they throw in a couple scenes of topless women that they have a great film. I watched the whole thing and wish I could get that 2 hours back.

However, I do have to say that I am a fan of the mindless comedies (for example)
1. Spaceballs
2. Robin Hood Men in Tights
3. The Three Amigos
4. Airplane 1 and 2
5. Naked Gun (all three)
6. Zoolander
7. Meet the Parents
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Waterboy
10. Happy Gilmore
11. Dumb and Dumber
12. Ace Ventura 1 and 2
13. Hot Shots 1 and 2
14. Tommy Boy
15. Black Sheep
16. History of the World
In no paticular order and the list could go on and on....

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Dossenator wrote:Films like Sarah Marshall think if they throw in a couple scenes of topless women that they have a great film.

I've noticed the same. Everyone knows it takes bottomless women to truly make a film great! :wink:
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 am

WoVeU wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Films like Sarah Marshall think if they throw in a couple scenes of topless women that they have a great film.

I've noticed the same. Everyone knows it takes bottomless women to truly make a film great! :wink:

It's kind of weird. Male nudity is kind of the new way of pushing the envelope in comedies, but anything with that would get slapped with an NC-17 in a heartbeat :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”