Linux...

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Linux...

Postby openSkies » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:58 pm

Does anyone here have Linux installed, or know how to install it?

I'm having some serious trouble with the SUSE install (getting an error when trying to partition the HD). I'm defragging right now to try and clear up the issue, but I'm not sure if it'll work or not.

And I'm not trying to do a dual-boot system. WinXP just needs to be removed completely.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 am

We have it at work. I will ask the tech guy your question
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:57 am

i'll ask my techy friends for ya too

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm

The guy I talked to at work said there are different types of installs. The one we have required him to start from blank and reformat the system. He said it soulnds like you are doing the same thing since you aren't doing a dual boot. I have no idea what any of that means, but that is what he said. Hope it helps.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:38 pm

i got advice from two friends......i don't speak yall's language so i am copy-pasting :wink:

Linuxquestions.org - follow links to the SUSE forum. Looks like a common problem. Right now I'm using ububtu, but when I was using suse instalation was a snap, the
distro you are trying to install is it a download or boxed set? if it is a download
you may have a corrupted download, which happens from time to time,
What kind of machine are you using, for example if you are trying to single install
suse on a compaq machine it will not install, you will have to do a dual boot.
Not knowing more about your problems this are but a few of the reasons you are unable
to install your distro.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:32 am

Got it up and running with SUSE. Took it to a friend of mine.

Anyways, I have to get going, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and I'll update you all later!

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:03 pm

Well, I got SUSE up and running. I tried Debian but I was having too many problems with the mouse.

I had originally tried SUSE but the partitioning part of the install would give me a ton of errors, so I used Debian to partition, aborted install and went back to SUSE. Worked like a charm. Set-up was a breeze (nice and graphical!). No mouse/monitor information needed, it was all automatic.

Anyways, I got MS Office 2003 up and running on the machine. That's what took the longest of the whole switch. Took a while to find something that would work.

The only problem I have now is that it doesn't like my wireless USB mouse (oh well, I think I want to go back to wired anyways). Also, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the wireless card to work. Drivers are all installed, but it just... doesn't like my network.

Work on the internet connection will progress through the night I'm sure =]

Return to “Off-Topic”