Grolar Bear or Pizzly?

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Grolar Bear or Pizzly?

Postby Eric » Thu May 11, 2006 3:47 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/10/pizzly-grolar-bear.html?ref=rss

Check that out! More "News of the Bizzare" from Eric.

Apparently, it's a hybrid between a polar bear and a grizzly, something that is pretty much unheard of in nature, two different species mating.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu May 11, 2006 4:24 pm

maybe it's an albino grizzly????
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu May 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Mountianmama was a city gal and she married a hillbilly .... :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu May 11, 2006 4:29 pm

:lol: That's a good one.

Bama girl, they have done DNA testing and have confirmed it.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu May 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Probably in a bear bar somewhere. She had recently broken up with her boy friend after she found out that he was cheating on her and his stories about being out on a seal hunt with the boys was just a pack of lies.

A couple of beers too many (that's bear beers), with light low and the juke box playing in the background ... griz walked over on all fours, then stood up on his hind legs and asked her to dance. He was nice, just what she needed to mend a broken heart. She needed someone, just to talk too. A few more bear beers and the next thing she remembers is waking up in a sleazy bear den with the vacancy sign flashing in her eyes.

Those dag-gum grizzlies are the scum of the earth. What kind of bear would do something like that?

:lol: :D :lol: :D

I think I'll have another. :P

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu May 11, 2006 10:38 pm

baaaaaaaahahhahahaaa!!!!!!!! :lol:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 am

:lol:

This occured in the Yukon Territory. There have been grizzly sightings there, but not often. This is baffling to me too. The article said if they ever met, they would usually get in some kind of fight.

colorado_loves_football

Re: Grolar Bear or Pizzly?

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Eric wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/10/pizzly-grolar-bear.html?ref=rss

Check that out! More "News of the Bizzare" from Eric.

Apparently, it's a hybrid between a polar bear and a grizzly, something that is pretty much unheard of in nature, two different species mating.
I've never heard of it, but I guess seeing as how both are 'bears' it's not impossible, and I think Grizzly bears are relatively few, anyway.
I know in Colorado, they've been extinct since 1979.
Tha'ts when the last live grizzly bear was shot, in teh San Juan Mountains.
I know a little about grizzly bears, because they named the mascot of a local college the grizzlies. Ther's a grizzly bear 'monument' I guess, dedicated to "old Mose" which was supposedly the most 'ferocious' grizzly bear to ever live (at least in Colorado). It was shot and killed by two hunters, who did it primarily for the money.
Poor bear, really did nothing wrong. I think it's kind of sad, actually.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Right; I think in nature, it is possible for two species of the same genus to mate. Because I'm pretty sure that grizzly bears, black bears, and polar bears are all considered different species of bear. I remember stuff about binomial nomenclature :lol:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 pm

Eric wrote:Right; I think in nature, it is possible for two species of the same genus to mate. Because I'm pretty sure that grizzly bears, black bears, and polar bears are all considered different species of bear. I remember stuff about binomial nomenclature :lol:
I remember a few things, but I don't know which species can cross-breed (other than the obvious ones).
Bears, I'm guessing, are likely near species, but I am still surprised that a grizzly bear and a polar bear can interbreed, and produce 'viable' offspring. I live in bear country (well, kinda). I've seen bears, but I had always assumed, until now that they stayed within the same gene pool. I guess you never know! I think Grizzlies are endangerd, but I could be wrong, i know that people are encroaching on their habitat (actually that's happening everywhere). I don't like the idea of 'moving in' on a bear's habitat, and It's probably one reason why there are more bear attacks now, than in previous years (black bears).
I had hoped our school would adopt the black bear as a mascot, unfortunately they opted for the grizzly. I have nothing against it, but I think it would make more sense to have a mascot that still exists.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:36 pm

Yeah, most bears I know of ar Ursus (blank).

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Eric wrote:Yeah, most bears I know of ar Ursus (blank).
I never studied biology, at least not to that degree.
Bears I had assumed were all generally in the same 'family'.
I know there are bears that live in my general vicinity, but I've only seen a few. Brown bears, mostly, but sometimes black bears, have made an 'appearance'. Both are generally not that dangerous, but one attacked a camper I think it was in Tennessee.
Then there's that guy who tried to live with a bear, and was mauled.
Sad story really, his girlfriend was with him.
Grizzly Man I think was the title of the movie, he was a conservationist.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:17 pm

Lived with a bear? :shock:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:32 pm

Eric wrote:Lived with a bear? :shock:
Well until it mauled him.
You've never heard of 'Grizzly Man'? There's been several documentaries on him, he was on David Letterman, he was a conservationist. He never antagonized the bears, he simply tried to 'befriend' them. In this day and age, that's a rarity.
He and his girlfriend both died, unfortunately.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:51 pm

rolltide wrote:I saw that on discovery or something like that. Pretty interesting.
He appeared on David Letterman, and David Letterman asked him "we aren't going to hear about you getting eaten by one of these bears, are we?".
the similarities to Steve Irwin are eerie, in my opinion.
Both were conservationists. Both had girlfirends who 'assisted' (Terri Irwin was Steve's wife, obvioiusly).
And both were pretty interesting people.
I can't recall the name of the 'Grizzly' man, but I"m sure someone can.
Yes, it was interesting, he befriended wildlife, maybe moreso that Irwin did.
I was kind of annoyed by Irwin. I think you can 'support' a wild animal without getting in bed with them. Grizzly man simply was there to photograph them. Irwin practically lived in their den.

Return to “Off-Topic”