how does your garden grow?

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

how does your garden grow?

Postby bama_girl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:14 pm

i had to start over with my tomatoes due to them getting the crap beat outa them by a hail storm....if it'll ever stop raining so i can till, i'll get the corn and squash in the ground :?
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Ahhhhhhh .... the joys of gardening. :lol:

We won't really get started (just preparing the soil so far) for a couple of more weeks at our latitude and altitude. :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Im more obsessed with grass than gardening.

I've just planted Centipede, it's been about a month, so im looking for the first buds. Then it will start taking over everything. :D
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:00 pm

centipede is good grass, whoever lived here before me planted it in the back yard and bermuda in the front....i have to mow the front three times for every time i have to mow the back.
it seems to squeeze the weeds out too, but i kinda like weeds :? they make purty flowers in the spring
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:11 pm

I have Kentucky Bluegrass and Rye. It grows like crazy in the spring. I put crabgrass killer on it in March, Dandilion killer on it in April and May, and insect killer on it in June. I apply fertilizer with every application. My grass is very green, like the money I don't have anymore. :oops:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:44 pm

Sounds like your on the Scott's cycle, Spence. 8)

Mountainmama likes to tease me about my yardwork. After the mowing, trimming, edging, de-thatching, aerating, fertilizing, liming, herbicides, pesticides, fill the bird feeders with seeds and humming bird feeders with sugar water (4 parts water 1 part sugar .. be sure to boil the water first) tending the flower beds, clean up with leaf blower and putting everything away ... I come in and take a shower.

She's always waiting for me after the shower with an iced tea, claims she puts something in it to take the edge off, and says, "Looks like the yard fairy paid us a visit while you were in the shower."

Nobody likes her very much. :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:51 pm

mountainman wrote:Sounds like your on the Scott's cycle, Spence. 8)

Mountainmama likes to tease me about my yardwork. After the mowing, trimming, edging, de-thatching, aerating, fertilizing, liming, herbicides, pesticides, fill the bird feeders with seeds and humming bird feeders with sugar water (4 parts water 1 part sugar .. be sure to boil the water first) tending the flower beds, clean up with leaf blower and putting everything away ... I come in and take a shower.

She's always waiting for me after the shower with an iced tea, claims she puts something in it to take the edge off, and says, "Looks like the yard fairy paid us a visit while you were in the shower."

Nobody likes her very much. :D

You have it. I go a little further then scotts suggests, but yes that about covers it. Except for de-thatching, I pick all the grass up so I don't have much of a thatch problem. I have a nitrogen problem because I pick the grass up though.

I am in the process of working on the annual landscaping right now so I know the drill. We plant annuals next week. Fun Fun Fun.... :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:56 pm

It is my addiction. :oops:

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon May 01, 2006 6:50 pm

does mountain mamma rent you out? :lol:

spence, it's a good thing you and i aren't neighbors...i kick the fuzzy dandelion things to get them to spread :lol: little yellow buttons all over the yard!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon May 01, 2006 10:19 pm

bama_girl wrote:does mountain mamma rent you out? :lol:

spence, it's a good thing you and i aren't neighbors...i kick the fuzzy dandelion things to get them to spread :lol: little yellow buttons all over the yard!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed May 03, 2006 4:36 pm

All I can tell you is that she treats me like a piece of rental property.

********************* :lol: :D :lol: **********************

Just kidding, she's a great gal.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 pm

I think that dandelions aren't indigenous to North America. I think they were brought over by Pilgrims because they thought they were fantastic little things.

They're more of a nuisance now :x
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu May 04, 2006 10:49 pm

Eric wrote:I think that dandelions aren't indigenous to North America. I think they were brought over by Pilgrims because they thought they were fantastic little things.

They're more of a nuisance now :x

@#$% pilgrims. :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu May 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Is that why they called the boat they came over here on the "Mayflower"? :lol:

By the way bama-girl, pick some of the young leaves from the dandelions and try them in your garden salad.

P.S. Send the heads to Spence. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri May 05, 2006 12:04 am

I've ate dandelions greens. They are good, but the bad ou tweighs the good. :lol:

I have had my front yard dandelion free for a couple of years, the back yard is harder. I only treat about 3/4 acre and I have 11. Those things always seem to find their way in.

Return to “Off-Topic”