Violin?

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Violin?

Postby openSkies » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has a violin?

I'm pretty good on the guitar, but I've always wanted to get into something a bit more 'sophisticated' and 'classical'. So I got a nice little violin off eBay.

Problem is, I've got no idea what to do first haha. There aren't any fret-boards! I guess it's just feel/sound.

Any tips would be nice =]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Around here we call that a fiddle. No idea how to make it work, though. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Haha, yes, a fiddle* =]

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:14 pm

Got the tuning. Tuning to 440 (just so I don't have to change the tuner when I want to tune my guitar, haha). I'm more used to that pitch anyways.

The whole fretless thing isn't that bad. I'm pretty much finding all the notes naturally, but by no means do I know what I'm playing. It sounds good, yes, but I couldn't tell you if I was playing an A or a C. The notes are so, so, so close together that it's not even funny.

Bowing... that's a different story. I need new strings, though, so it could just be that. I play the low G and it sounds fine, but then if I play the E with the same technique the sound goes to hell. But that E string does have a dent in it. I also need to get the tuners fixed. They tend to slip out a little and don't hold the strings tight.

But hey, for $25, I'm not complaining about some minor repairs =]

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:01 am

my 10 year old takes violin lessons and can play a few songs now and she is completely tone deaf...........i can say that cause she's mine :lol: ..........anyway, get yourself one of those learnin cd's and give it a whirl
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:57 am

That's actually a really good idea.

But first I think it has a few things that need to be fixed, so I've gotta take care of that first.

Maybe your daughter can give me lessons? lol

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:34 am

How about building guitars. Anyone know about that?

Lubbock? =]

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:58 am

Well the body and neck and all are finished. I've just got no clue how to get the straight-from-the-shop shine job. All I know is that it involves a lot of laquer.

I've got a Gibson Les Paul style body with slots for three pick-ups. I'm doing a Peter Frampton Signature Model rip-off. 57 Classic, 57 Classic Plus, and 500T pickups. Should sound gorgeous! But I want it to look gorgeous, too.

Right now there is no paint or lacquer or anything else on it. I was thinking about painting it black and getting the gold knobs and creme pickup covers, etc, to mimic the guitar exactly. But now I'm thinking that maybe I'll just polish it over and leave it natural. It's a pretty nice looking wood. (Let me know what you think about that)

Here's a pic of how it's supposed to look when finished, if left natural (only 2 pickups, though). This is the closest pic I could find.

Here's a close-up of the Frampton model.

Also thinking about getting these tuners. But they're a bit expensive ($100) =]

Return to “Off-Topic”