Computers

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Computers

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:20 pm

What style do you guys have? I mean, what Windows do you run and what kind of internet?

I know, I have to catch up with the times. I need an XP with a cable modem. I have Windows 98 with dial-up! This thing is so slow it irritates me.

I actually got a Windows Millennium edition, the one I'm typing on now, and it is a piece of junk. It has consistently failed to cooperate until recently, so I'm glad I didn't give my other one away!
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 pm

ME was the worst Windows ever. Isn't that the one that crashed on Gates during the release extravaganza?

//

Here's my set-up (all of it):

HP Pavilion a1022n
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
1.81 GHz
512MB RAM
200GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM
DVD/CD-Writer (with Lightscribe)
Windows XP Home Edition

Bluetooth for wireless connection between PC and other hardware (printer/PDA/etc)

Creative surround sound speakers

Samsung 17" flat-screen LCD monitor, 1280x1024 resolution

Cable internet through a netgear wireless network (PC is hard-wired to the router, laptop is wireless)

I use Internet Explorer for casual browsing, but Firefox when I'm designing websites (W3C compliance stuff).

//

Does what I need it to do. Graphic/web design, lots of military shoot-em-up games, tons and tons of audio/mini-recording studio. Run's just fine! Only complaint is that my webpage editor still kills the system resources (CFP Admin has the same issue). The software is just way too hard on the system though.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:42 pm

My buddy built mine for me.

I run XP
300 GB hard drive
1.3 GB memory
21" LCD moniter and a whole lot of other stuff I don't know about.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers. :?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:48 pm

Same here Spence, it seems to go over my head.

Well, openSkies, you seem to be set! Windows ME was a total disappointment for me, but it seems to be working all of a sudden, I really can't say why. I'm actually typing on it right now! I can't believe I've been using this for 4 days and it hasn't screwed up on me yet!

By the way, mine is a HP Pavillion.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:53 pm

I wouldn't have bought an HP back during the Windows ME-era if you gave me $300 off.

This is the first HP I've ever owned, and it's because they sucked until the year this model was released. Before that it was either Toshiba or... Acer *cringe*

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 pm

DVD-ROM
DVD/CD-Writer

I have that stuff too and the surround speakers. Mine has a TV tuner also, so I can watch TV at my desk. My processor is Pentium, isn't Athlon good for games and stuff?

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:13 am

Yeah, the Athlon is usually a better processor for games... all-around, in fact.

I need to get a TV Tuner. I think the hacker known only as 'Smart' (who helped a lot with programming this website) is going to give me his.

I also forgot I added on a Nvidia Gforce 9550 graphics card. Now THAT thing is sweet for gaming.

I don't game much any more, too busy working or going to school. But when I first got this computer I went out and bought Battlefield 2. Modern-day war game where you can be either Russia, American, Middle Easterns (unspecified), etc etc etc.

You start off the battle on foot, but you're able to jump into any land/air/sea vehicle around. So as soon as the battle begins I just jump into the nearest HUMVEE, take it to the helipad, jump in the AH-64 Apache. Or sometimes I'll take a landing craft out to the carrier and hop into a Joint Strike Fighter. Sometimes the F-18, depending on my mood haha. It's an awesome game. Multi-player is INSANE. Up to 48 players at a time, all bombing each other with aircraft, sniping each other from construction cranes, hitting each other with artillary, or running people over with tanks. So much fun.

The speakers go really well with the game too. When that grenade next to you goes off, the whole apartment complex knows it =]

Even with my nice set-up though, I still get some major lag on the game. It's just too massive. But hey, if your system can handle it, I highly suggest it. (Even if you don't like computer games)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:22 am

I need to get a TV Tuner. I think the hacker known only as 'Smart' (who helped a lot with programming this website) is going to give me his.

It is pretty cool. I can record a football game on my computer and then transfer it to DVD. (don't tell). Of course if we lose, I just delete it.

I'm not much for the games. I played some of the "stone age" games when I was a kid, but they have gotten a lot more advanced. They used to be all about hand-eye co-ordination, not much thinking involved. I was better at that.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:27 am

This one is mostly hand-eye, too. That's why I like it. Most other games are too much about planning and such.

Battlefield 2 is a free-for-all. When you die, you just restart at the beginning. So most of the time I'll just take a Jeep, throw all of my C4 in the back, and drive it into the enemy base. If I have a lot of health left I'll run and hide as fast as possible, but if I'm almost dead (more likely) I'll just trigger it. 10 seconds later I'm back at the start with another Jeep!

Not a lot of controls. Just run, aim and shoot. They have a demo out that you could always try.

And about the DVD burning of games... not illegal if you don't show it commercially, correct? Otherwise TiVo would be illegal.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:34 am

And about the DVD burning of games... not illegal if you don't show it commercially, correct? Otherwise TiVo would be illegal.

The way I understand it, is that you can do it for your own use. I don't think you can distribute them to friends, though, even for free. Not that I would ever do that. :lol:

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:40 am

That's correct. But if they came over and watched it's fine =]

Totally off-topic, but I just compiled the numbers, so here it is...

Message Board Hits by Month:

December 05: 12,553
January 06: 84,668
February 06: 78,085
March 06: 64,756

Things are slowing =[ But we're getting deep deep deep into the off-season now, so the numbers are still pretty darned good.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:21 am

Yeah, it will be about 4 months before it starts heating up again.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:28 pm

I'd look for those stats to be in the 130,000 posts per month when the season gets rolling.

August will probably be the highest amount of posts in the offseason.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:01 pm

I have an entire lab, since im in this field.

My laptop and all my other machines run Windows Server 2003. The firewall is FreeBSD.

Geek. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:38 am

Lightscribe is just the technology. It comes standard on most HPs now-a-days. It etches images onto the DVD/CR-R using... well, light. Lasers I assume?

It's pretty neat, but it takes a while to burn on an image that takes up the whole CD. I made a mix-tape for my girlfriend, and put a picture of us on the CD, and it came out really really really well. Only took 45 minutes, haha.

//

For hand-coding I use EditPlus2, great little program. When it comes to PHP, or updating the front page of CFP, it's all I use.

The front page of CFP is loaded with Javascript, DHTML, AJAX and PHP. The rest of the pages have minimal code outside of HTML, though. For those, and for most projects (since 90% of my designs are graphic driven rather than based off textual content), I use Adobe Pagemill 3. Copyright 1998 :wink: It's an old one, but I find it to be the best.

Dreamweaver is too geared towards using CSS (which I hate). It has way too many functions for what I use a WYSIWYG for. FrontPage is like using Microsoft Word. I've tried Adobe GoLive, too, but again, way too much for what I use it for. Too many options just make the basic tasks a difficult venture. And then, if you count it as a WYSIWYG, there's Flash. Back when I used Flash on a regular basis (Version 4), the ActionScript was pretty simple, and by no means was it a web editor. But now the AS is just out of control... which I guess makes it a web editor, but a heck of a lot harder to use.

//

Firefox vs IE. That's a tough one!

Not until about two weeks ago did I download Firefox. I use it in the exact opposite manner as you do. I use IE on a regular basis, and FF as my web design test platform =]

//

... What's with widgets?

//

I just started re-arranging things in my apartment. For having such a small space, I think this is a pretty nice little music room (picture below). When you get a chance, I want to take a peek at your setup, Lubbock!

NOT SHOWN: Korg MicroKorg Synth (buy it on eBay! Haha)

Top Left:
My very-quickly-expanding tour posters wall. Top left is Juliana Theory + Glassjaw + Piebald, bottom left is Juliana Theory 'Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat' tour, bottom right is Juliana Theory + Zao + Open Hand + Takeover UK. Middle bottom is an assortment of personalized autographed CD covers (most widely known would be the top right cover, autographed by all members of The All-American Rejects). Above that, in the top middle, is a CD cover autographed by Brett Detar (with photos I took) who is the lead vocalist of The Juliana Theory. If you think this is a Juliana Theory shrine, you should wait to see the 4 things I bought on eBay that are already in the mail haha. That would include 3 more posters, and the glasses that Brett Detar is wearing in the bottom left poster. (They broke up, so I'm gathering stuff while I still can).

Top Right:
General View.
(You can barely see my small 100watt bass amp, by the blinds)

Bottom Left:
Line 6 Spider HD75 Head (75watt)
B52 Cab (4x100watt)
US-122 USB interface (to connect XLR/Line to PC)
My old Toshiba laptop with Cakewalk and Adobe Audition
AudioTechnica mic
Acoustic foam! Just for looks, obviously. (Spare pieces).
And up the lamp are all my Juliana Theory (unopened, sealed) CDs. Every single CD they've put out, including demos, live recordings, splits, and promos. I'm very proud of that haha.

Bottom Right:
Left Acoustic, Mitchell (acoustic-electric)
Right Acoustic, Gibson Epiphone (acoustic)
Left Electric, Gibson Les Paul Standard-II
Right Electric, Ibanez GAX75
Left Pedal, FBV2 foot controller for head
Middle Pedal, TU-2 Boss Chromatic Tuner
Right Pedal, DS-1 Boss Distortion

(Hey Mods, before you ask, this is indeed OK because it's my bandwidth that's being eaten up! Haha)

Return to “Off-Topic”