Closed Minded = Liberal

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:04 am

Term limits???

That would definately get rid of a certain senator that likes to wash his car in the lake.

Term limits is an easy answer, but I don't really think they are a good thing. They might get rid of a bad senator or congressman, but they also force the good ones out. People just need to get a narrow focas on the top 3 or 4 issues that face our nation and vote out the politicians that refuse to work to fix them.

You can't blame the problems this country is facing on the politicians. People decide who to elect to office. People decise who should be voted out of office. We have the government that we deserve because we are the ones who hired them. Until we decide, as a country, to take our rights seriously things will continue to get worse. The single greatest thing you can do as a citizen is to exercise your right to vote. Not even have the people registered to vote do it. More then that don't even care enough to register. It is sad that people fought and died to win our right to govern ourselves and we don't care enough about our freedom to do it. No country on earth can defeat us, but we will defeat ourselves if people don't start taking their freedom seriously.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:36 pm

The best part is that it is always evolving, our constitution is a living constitution, so that it can always keep improving, and it will.

And inflation, I'm for it, it helps the debtors, like me.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:11 am

to me personally, i will view our government as being completely screwed up as long as lobbying is legal......that's the root of all the caca for the most part
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:09 am

bama_girl wrote:to me personally, i will view our government as being completely screwed up as long as lobbying is legal......that's the root of all the caca for the most part

There is a lot of truth in that statement. Lobbying would have the effect it does now if everyone voted. That way the smaller blocks wouldn't have the power they have now.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:18 am

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams had many a heated debate about how our government should be fashioned. :?

Jefferson won out, but he cautioned and warned of the perils of letting things like the lobbyist have too much influence. :cry:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:27 am

It all hinges on apathy by the voters. I think the representative government was the right way to go, but people have to take their rights seriously. I am a firm believer that we get the government we deserve, always. It is time we decided as a group to get the government we need.

If people would vote out THEIR representatives when things do not get done, they would start paying attention to the people. They would have no choice because it would mean their jobs. All this divide and conquer stuff would be a thing of the past.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:07 pm

"It is sad that people fought and died to win our right to govern ourselves and we don't care enough about our freedom to do it. No country on earth can defeat us, but we will defeat ourselves if people don't start taking their freedom seriously."

Da## good sir!!!! :D

Perfectly put!![/quote]
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:20 pm

In the words of Abraham Lincoln as he spoke on January 27, 1838:

"At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not be force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years. At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:58 pm

good post :wink:

finding out how your representative performed can be hard actually, you have to weed through alot of b.s. to actually find anything out if you are going to depend on the press for your info. somebody could get rich just printing out the bottom line on what they supported, what they shot down, whether they even showed up to vote or not, and what kind of b.s. they allowed to be attatched to what bills in lieu of vote trading.
it's easy to not take your citizenship responsibilities seriously and investigate these things when your regular old life is as busy as most peoples and that's what they depend on...not to mention all the smoke screens and election mud slinging bull that goes on.
they wear us down with that crap on purpose.
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:06 pm

it's easy to not take your citizenship responsibilities seriously and investigate these things when your regular old life is as busy as most peoples and that's what they depend on...not to mention all the smoke screens and election mud slinging bull that goes on.
they wear us down with that crap on purpose.

I am a firm believer that our right to vote is the most important right we have been given. It is the right that protects all the other rights. We need to make it a point to find out what our elected officials are doing and vote accordingly.

One of the things I do is break it down to issues that I believe are most important. Not the "major" issues that fill up the platforms on both sides, but the ones that matter to us every day. If you do that it isn't hard to find out how your guy is doing.

People should try to be informed and vote for what the believe is right. I don't care which party they believe best holds their values, as long as the support their views by voting and then LEARNING from their mistakes when/if that view is proven wrong. I have always voted as an independent. I have supported candidates on either side if I believe they can do the right job. I tend to be conservative and my voting generally reflects that, but I am not above voting the other way when I think that another candidate would better represent my views. It isn't good to vote one way or the other in a block, just because that you agree with the over all views of the party in which they belong. There are freaks on both sides.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Good counsel for those wise enough to listen, bama-girl and Spence.

As Ziggy once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us." :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

As Ziggy once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

So true!

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:16 am

"There are freaks on both sides."

that gets a big SO TRUE too :?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Yeofoot wrote:The best part is that it is always evolving, our constitution is a living constitution, so that it can always keep improving, and it will.

And inflation, I'm for it, it helps the debtors, like me.

I disagree. I am a believer in a strict interpretation of the Constitution. Any dickering with it, will only lead to the kind of government we have now, that is out of control in it's growth and sphere of influence.

That's why I admired Chief Justice William Rehnquist so much.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:27 pm

rolltide wrote:sweet avatar, Derek. How do you get those that are from other sites?

I took the pic from this site....Im showing the picture, to give you an idea of how much it needs to be shrunk.

http://www.onlineathens.com/dogbytes/ugaz/ugav.shtml

I then saved it to my computer and used Photoshop to shrink it to a size that was acceptable to this board without changing the borders. The file size is about 4K after shrinking.

I then uploaded it to

http://www.imageshack.com

Then you select "100% free hosting" at the top.

Upload the photo you have shrunk, and copy the URL to the file it gives you.......

Then come back here to your profile and paste the link it gives you in the bottom part of the page for avatars...

BE SURE you keep the file size small, as to respect the bandwidth of this board. :D

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”