We are all too intelligent

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

We are all too intelligent

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:28 pm

All of us on this board are way too intelligent. We should form the CFP political party and take over the government. We may not have all the answers but we're not a closed-minded group that won't listen to other opinions. And ultimately, we seem to reach a logical consensus.

Personally, I'm tired of lawyers running the show anyway. Most of them don't seem to know squat about constitutional law. For instance, they've turned "freedom OF religion" into "freedom FROM religion".
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Seperation of Church and State.

It's meant to keep the government out of church, not the church out of the government.

But everyone always seems to get that one backwards =]

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 pm

Seperation of church and state meant the government shall not establish a religion. There was no intent to "protect us" from religious influences and certainly not the mere mention of God. Indeed, "we are endowed by our creator of certain inalienable rights".

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 am

All of us on this board are way too intelligent. We should form the CFP political party and take over the government. We may not have all the answers but we're not a closed-minded group that won't listen to other opinions. And ultimately, we seem to reach a logical consensus.

Personally, I'm tired of lawyers running the show anyway. Most of them don't seem to know squat about constitutional law. For instance, they've turned "freedom OF religion" into "freedom FROM religion".

I agree, except I don't want to run the government. It doesn't pay well enough for all the crap you have to take. (nice benni's though).

Your take on religion is dead on. They have tried to take religion out of everyone's daily lives.

Another would be the 2nd amendment. They say they don't want to keep people from being able to hunt. The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with the right to hunt. It has to do with the ability of the citizens to protect themselves from an unruly government. The founding fathers put in the 2nd amendment so that the rest of the"rights" could be enforced. In other words if everyone is armed they government is less likely to try to take over.

I have always been an independent politically, but I tend to lean conservative on most issues. I also think that our political parties are two sides of the same coin. With their main objective being to either stay in power or get into power. The 2 party system was put into effect to promote debate and find the common good in issues, but it has turned into an ideological war in which both sides have played to stalemate. Nobody inside the beltway wants to listen to an opposing point of view. Without listening there can be no real debate.

Politicians owe to much of their souls to the wrong people.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 am

While I agree that both parties are at a stalemate a lot of the times, it seems to me that the republicans have bent over backwards on a few occasions to appease the democrats since Bush's first election win. From the education bill in his first term to last night's Patriot Act vote that agreed to remove some "controversial" (i.e., necessary) components and will be signed.

I, too, had always been an independent. In fact, my voting record prior to 2000 would have me labeled by some as a political schizophrenic. But now I would say that I vote about 95% republican whereas I voted nearly 50/50 earlier in my adult life.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:50 pm

I think we need to get either Guiliani, Alan Keyes or Colin Powell in office =]

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:48 pm

You're so right about seperation of church and state. Just because the 10 Commandments are in an office building doesn't mean that their intention is to make everybody radical Christians and impose their will on every Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/Jew/atheist in the entire country.

Libs are under the impression that people like James Dobson and Pat Robertson are just as bad as Osama bin Laden and Ayatollah Khomeini. It's crazy. We have "holiday trees" and Kwaanza and Hannuakah symbols around Christm-whoops, holiday season. Of course I don't mind it that much at all, just don't exclude a CHRISTMAS tree from public schools or wherever. Just because there is a Christmas tree up, doesn't mean that every person that doesn't believe in it will feel that their human rights are being violated. Watch out guys, the next thing to go is Christmas music on the radio.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:36 pm

While I agree that both parties are at a stalemate a lot of the times, it seems to me that the republicans have bent over backwards on a few occasions to appease the democrats since Bush's first election win. From the education bill in his first term to last night's Patriot Act vote that agreed to remove some "controversial" (i.e., necessary) components and will be signed.

Your right about that. The Dems are so ticked that GWB got elected that they won't even try to do their job and help run the country.

It seems to me that no one is actually trying to do anything for the people. With health care costs rising on average about 19% every year, if something isn't done to fix this problem, no one will have healthcare. When companies like GE are saying they can't take the costs anymore, how are the thousands of independent businesses who are trying to provide healthcare to their employees going to be able to do it? This isn't about some big rich corporation sticking it to the "little guy", these companies can't only dig into their bottom line so much before they don't have a bottom line.

Our elected officials are so busy trying to stick it to the other side that they don't work for the people anymore. It is time they stopped.

It is mostly our fault. If these guys can't seem to figure out a way to get along and work for the common good, we have the abilitly to fire them. If we would kick them out every couple of years strictly for not getting along, they would get the picture. You shouldn't have to treat adults like two year olds, but a lot of these people wouldn't be as smug after a nice long trip to the woodshed.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:57 am

the sad part is - i don't see it improving any time soon .

That is true. They are to busy trying to find out if the gov't thought the Katrina would breach the levy or top the levy before she hit. It doesn't matter. What happened, happened and you can't go back and change it. Fix it and move on. Try to be better prepared the next time.

Oil prices won't go down until you start seeing refineries being buillt. the problem is that the the supply/demand line is to close to each other. Anything happens in the world that could disrupt the pipeline and oik shoots up. Oil has been going down the past few days, wholesale gasoline isn't dropping like it should yet, so maybe we get a little break towards the end of this month.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:52 am

Eric wrote:Watch out guys, the next thing to go is Christmas music on the radio.

I can handle that one. :) I get sick of wall-to-wall Christmas music. When I want to hear Christmas music, I'll pop in a CD. When I want to listen to my favorite radio station, I want to hear the music I always tune to them for. I mean, crap, McDonald's doesn't switch out its quarterpounders and Big Macs at Christmas for Fruit Cake, Egg Nog and Christmas cookies.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:02 pm

True, I've never looked at it that way, but it does get a little tiring! We have a station here in mid-Michigan that, I think, plays Christmas music ALL YEAR LONG.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 am

rolltide wrote:Why aren't there any crazy people on this board??? I guess they don't like college football.

Has anyone seen those crazy @$$ho1es that go around protesting at soilders funerals? They are twisted people. Personally I could not stand for that at a funeral of someone I know. They had better bring the police to protect them.

YEah...that's why we just had a law passed in GA....that says if you pull that crap you will go to jail... :D

I love the Red States :D :D

JK
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:46 am

rolltide wrote:Christmas music 24 hours a day for 2 months or whatever drives me crazy. They play this huge loop of christmas music on one station here. It should be used for torture.

Now that's an idea..Play christmas music to a bunch of fanatical islamic terrorists that dont belive in Christmas.. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:21 am

Now that's an idea..Play christmas music to a bunch of fanatical islamic terrorists that dont belive in Christmas..

I see it now in the history books. The Americans were at there wits end, trying to find something flush the terrorists out. Then they started playing little drummer boy and the terrorists surrendered without a gun shot fired. One was quoted saying that is was cruel and usual punishment to play that song in August. Next the US focuses on North Korea and planned to use there newfound weapon. Jingle Bells in September. :shock:

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:58 pm

"Have a holly, jolly Christmas"...

That's torture 24/7 for one month!

Return to “Off-Topic”