Stocks 2

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Stocks 2

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Any update on what you guys think about which stocks could boom in a little while?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:48 pm

I think Fanatic is the guy to talk to about that. He helped me out with the Delta thing.

Finally dumped it, only lost $200.

Went and bought a bunch of studio equipment with the money =] And a new guitar, haha.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Always a sticky subject. Seems everytime I follow someone else's advice, I lose money. My best source of info is IBD (Investor's Business Daily). I scan there top 100 for stocks of interest in sectors that I see current growth in. I bought Empire Resources (ERS) following that strategy and have done well (though had shed some gains today). I'm not suggesting you buy that particular stock. I like to try and balance a little conservatism with speculation, mix a little trading with a little long-term investing.

One that I've been giving a great deal of thought to is Nabors (NBR). Lockheed (LM) is on my radar, too. Texas Roadhouse (TXRH) and Western Digital (WDC). Three things they all have in common is fairly low PE's, earnings growth and low-to-no debt.

I watch Cramer (Mad Money) for fun but following his advice, I think, is a bit risky. A lot of his recommendations, upon investigation, are companies with no earnings at all. For instance, he highly recommened Bookham (BKHM) a few weeks ago. It's up about 25% since then but I have no confidence in the stock as they have no earnings and are in the optic fiber business like JDSU and other companies that have been struggling to produce any consistent earnings. JDSU is a sore subject with me. I bought them when they were running hot in the late 90's and they tanked. I was too stupid to pay attention to the PE ratio, earnings growth and other stuff I've mentioned.

Anyway, there's my two cents turned into twenty cents.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Return to “Off-Topic”