U.S. Ports

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

U.S. Ports

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Anybody hear about this? We're letting the United Arab Emeriates control our port security! I found this to be shocking! I normally agree with Bush and his decisions, but I think this move is jaw-dropping. Just wanted to wonder what the census was out there and if you're as shocked as I am.

Speaking of this, I think we should make an off-topic message board. That way we could keep the stocks and political things off of the college football board.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Thaaaaaaaaank you. Finally someone wants an off-topic board.

I'll ask CFP Admin =]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:30 pm

You might want to consider making the off-topic board adults only. Discussions on politics, religion, etc.. can get pretty heated. Not really for the faint of heart.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:20 am

Then again, the 8-year-olds sometimes have the most common sense on such topics. Glenn Beck proved this on his radio show last week. Anybody else here ever listen to his show? he's syndicated nationally - usually on the same stations as Rush Limbaugh.

So far as the UAE protecting our ports...

...it definitely shocked me at first. But I wonder if it isn't a smart move in that perhaps the UAE would hear stuff, know stuff, react to stuff when our own people may fear the PC crowd. Arabs monitoring Arabs may not be such a bad idea after all.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:41 am

I would have to think about that one. Put the wrong guy in charge and it could be a big deal.

I like Glen Beck.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 am

Isn't there some saying about keeping your firends close and your enemies closer?

I understand how this could all backfire big time. I worry about the whole situation with our open borders and twisted immigration policy that allows illegals to catch a break but requires solid foreign citizens to jump through a million hoops to be admitted into this country. We have a friend from a well-to-do Bahamian family that spent 20 years trying to go through all the proper legal changes to gain resident status here and they finally gave up.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:42 am

Isn't there some saying about keeping your firends close and your enemies closer?

That all depends on what they have in their suitcase. :shock:

Our immigration policy is all screwed up. There are so many illegals, it seems they don't even try. I have no problem with an open borders policy as long as we know who is coming in and why. Of Course the way to fix our problem in Mexico is to pressure the Mexican government into treating their people better. You don't see Canadians flocking across the border because for the most part they are happy. If they aren't happy their is a way for them to work to change their government. In Mexico that just isn't the case.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 am

rolltide wrote:The government can't change the fact that peolple can come over here and work for a few months and not pay taxes and then run back across the border. Also, they are making more here than they could there. Ports controlled by a country that still has terrorist ties??? I don't think that's such a great idea. I think we could control our own ports.

I have family living in Ariz and Texas in Mathis.
We all say amen to your post.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:28 pm

A lot of illegals are having babies born in U.S. soil making them U.S. citizens. My complaint for Bush (there aren't many) is why in the world did he, in 2003 I believe, come up with that illegal immigrant idea that has them work "a job that Americans don't want" for a few months or so, then send them back? Absolutely mind-boggling.

As for U.A.E., they've been known for terrorist activity, and I don't care how many times Chertoff says the company passed the standards and the criteria, I don't give a rip. They're a dangerous country behind the scenes. What do you think would've happened if we let Japan guard our naval bases in Hawaii during WWII?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:49 pm

The United States doesn't control the port authority right now, the british do. As long as customs does their job it doesn't have to be an American company running the ports. We still control how they do their work.

As for the U.A.E., I haven't decided how I come down on this. It is a fact there are people in the U.A.E that hate the U.S., but there are people living right here that hate the U.S. as well. If the company that put in for this deal checks out, I have no problem with letting them take it over. If that company has any ties with any type of terrorist org. or prove to be sympathetic to terrorist then I am against it.

Arabs and muslims do business in America every day, just as countries all over the world do. This country was founded on the principle that as long as you come here legally and do things that right way we will welcome you. This is what inabled everyone of our ancestor to make it here.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm

You and I would agree on that point.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:50 am

I saw a whole thing on port inspecting practices on Discovery Channel. Or one of those.

The 2% number is slowly increasing, but maybe only something like 0.1% a year.

There's just a huge number of cargo containers that come into the US. It's kind of like airport security is with those random inspections.

They can't go into a detailed search for every person. So, they just hope terrorists won't take the chance when they know they can be a part of that 2% and get busted.

The container scanners are all checked, just not very thoroughly.

They have a large scanner that searches for traces of Uranium, and if it picks any up, it's inspected. Usually, according to the show, it's just toilets or something like that which have small traces of Uranium.

The 2% is the number of containers that are sent through X-ray machines or manually inspected.

//

That's my understanding, at least =] It was, after all, a long time ago when I saw the show.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:25 pm

That is true. ABC news actually got low grade uranium through the ports. I think it doesn't matter who is running the ports if we can't figure out a way to find out what is coming in. They could try it now if they wanted to and probably succeed.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, when it comes down to moves like this, the decision maker is either insane, or there are things the public doesn't know about. I think the public doesn't know the full means of the transaction. I'm sure Bush is aware of that. I don't support the deal, but I'm not 100% against it either. The things still have to pass inspections.

Isn't it funny that liberals, at least in Congress, are all of a sudden racially profiling? :shock: :roll: :o

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:28 pm

Eric, I had the same comment to my wife yesterday on this comment. Isn't it amazing how the dems suddenly want to call every Arab bad. They're such freakin' hypocrites and all for nothing but political expediency. There are African muslim nations too. I can't, however, imagine the dems complaining if we put a company from one of those countries in charge. Im sure many leaders in the African-American population would cry racism and foul in a heartbeat.

Return to “Off-Topic”