The Capitol

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

The Capitol

Postby openSkies » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Whoever chose DC to be our nation's capitol really sucks.

It rains way, way, way too much.

I think home is looking nice right about now =] Yeah, it rains in Florida, but stops after 3 minutes.

Not to mention it's probably about 73 degrees.
Last edited by openSkies on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:25 pm

I think they chose DC because the crime rate is almost zero. :shock: It is such a nice area. :roll:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:32 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think we had kicked the Spanish out of Florida when the DC site was chosen. :wink:

Was it Andrew Jackson that lead the army against the Spanish to take Florida or did he fight the Seminole Indians down there? Then turn right around in 1814 and kick the 'Bloody British' out of New Orleans? :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:07 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think we had kicked the Spanish out of Florida when the DC site was chosen

DC became a capital in 1800. The first Seminole war was in 1818 and Jackson made Florida a US territory in 1821.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Well, so that's how you get your picture on a twenty-dollar bill. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Yes, only the money seems to list them, in terms of importance, in accending order instead of decending order. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:02 pm

I agree 100%, Spence, what a great, clean town to live in! :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:51 am

I understand that the city was designed with the thought in mind to intimidate foreign heads of state. :roll:

Take them down some of the 'alphabet streets' and they will be intimidated for sure. :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:42 am

Take them down some of the 'alphabet streets' and they will be intimidated for sure. :shock:

Some french guy designed the city. I don't think that was what they meant to have as intimidation, but it applies. There are only a few cities across the country as dangerous as DC.

I guess if you include congress, there isn't anywhere on earth as dangerous as DC. :lol:

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:24 pm

I'm back.

And glad to be wearing t-shirts again =]

How was everyone's weekend?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:41 pm

There has been 9 capitals or the US. They kept getting moved mostly to keep the capital from being taken. Philly was the first, Balitimore was second, Lancaster, PA was third, York, PA was forth. I don't know the rest, but I know there were 9. I think Princeton was a capital and New York also.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Yeah, DC was pretty nice. We didn't really visit a lot of the memorials.

I've been a couple of times before, so we just stuck to the places I knew were cool. My girlfriend, though, has never been, so I showed her some of the places I knew she'd like, even though they were slightly boring.

Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WWII/Vietnam Memorials, Arlington National (so sad to see graves only 4 days old from 19-year-olds who died in Iraq), all of the art museums (eh... the only interesting thing we saw were paintings by Raphael and the DaVinci), the Air & Space Museum (they have the simulators up and running now, so we did that), and uh... Capitol and Union Station. The rest of the weekend we just spent going to coffee shops and running to the local CVS to buy umbrellas/gloves/etc.

I've only been to the West Coast once (San Fran), and it was fairly wet. I wouldn't even set foot in Seattle unless I was sure it was going to be sunny the entire time I was there. I'm a Floridian through-and-through. Rain that lasts more than 30 minutes at a time just doesn't go over well with me haha.

And Rich, about the voter application... we could use one more alternate. I'll Private Message you in a few minutes with the link to the application =]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Rich, we are in voting groups for the top 25 voters. You are in yeofoots group. The groups were put together to get a good debate going and to try and keep the voting honest. The groups will probably get started sometime after the spring games and voting will be sometime before the season starts and every week there after.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm

I remember I went to Virginia in 1994. At the time they were setting records for heat, and I wasn't that impressed either, as far as everything looked, but D.C, is D.C. after all. Maryland is nice, maybe that's where you ought to have gone, if you didn't you might have had a better experience, I know that I did. And Virginia, for the most part, is beautiful. But District of Columbia, really isn't that terrific, but I enjoyed visiting the monuments, too. Air & Space Museum was nice, so was Smithsonian Institution. I went through Arlington National Cemetery.
I wasn't aware that more troops were buried there, but it stands to reason. I guess it's all in what you are looking for, at least that's how I look at it. I didn't mind D.C. but I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

Return to “Off-Topic”