2017 MLB Year's end

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

2017 MLB Year's end

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Spence, can a Cincinnati fan get excited about Cleveland? More HR hit this year than ever...I dislike changing the equipment and then comparing stats...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2017 MLB Year's end

Postby Spence » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am

donovan wrote:Spence, can a Cincinnati fan get excited about Cleveland? More HR hit this year than ever...I dislike changing the equipment and then comparing stats...

Not really, I will watch them. I don't see Boston beating them. I was in Boston over Labor Day and saw the Sox play that Monday night. Boston doesn't have the sticks to beat Cleveland. They weren't very impressive at all. The stadium, though, is a must see. If you ever go, go early and take the tour. We got go on the field during BP and also sit on the Green Monster. Game seats on the monster are ridiculous so the tour is a better way. You just have to make sure you pay attention because balls come to you very quick on there. The old stadium flavor is there, much like Wrigley. They even have some of the original wooden seats in some areas. We sat just on the first base side of home plate in row H, I wanted to sit on the Monster but the tickets up would have been in the thousands and while it would have been a cool experience, it wasn't worth the price. Our seats were better to watch the game.

Baseball season for a Reds fan basically ended before it started this year. They are an adventure to watch. I did get to see them unveil Pete Rose's statue are the ball park and almost the whole Big Red Machine was there to honor him so that was cool. I got to see Tony Perez get his statue last year so the last couple of years I got to revisit my youth a little bit.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:55 pm

As a fan of baseball, I was rooting for them to get to 26 but 22 is still an amazing accomplishment, even more so in today's game. As a fan of the Cardinals, I was also wanting them to win the World Series last year, so clearly my rooting for them doesnt help in the least :lol: I will agree about the home run numbers not meaning much. If they want to push that and quit with the time limit rules tho I guess I'll take the trade off.

Boston is one of those cities I would love to go visit, just have not done it yet. I've always been fascinated with history and there is no shortage of it in that area. Finally got to NYC and Philly couple years ago, and will again this Dec. I'm working my way up towards the Northeast, very gradually.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:06 am

If you ever decide to go to Boston let me know. I can give you tips about the city and how to get around. You don't want a car there at all. You will pay the price of a plane ticket just in parking fee's. Boston is the city to go to for history. It is fairly easy to get around and the food is awesome.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:22 am

The Yankee Cleveland series is good. Cleveland made 4 errors tonight. The weather has been good. The TV camera coverage is terrible. They show people picking their nose in the dugout when the ball has been hit. Constant prattle...maybe I should be an announcer.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

The Evil Empire is alive and well. A Dodgers-Yankee series would be like my childhood in the 50's

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am

donovan wrote:The Evil Empire is alive and well. A Dodgers-Yankee series would be like my childhood in the 50's

The Yankee's are playing well.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 pm

MLB will officially come to an end tonight with the always anticipated Game 7. This has been a pretty dramatic series. I have been casually cheering for Houston but mainly just enjoying the last little bit of baseball. I am in the minority of fans it seems, but I'm hoping for a great pitching duel. Nothing would give me more excitement than a game that conjures up images of Morris vs Smoltz. I dont need it to hit THAT level but strong efforts from both starters.

Spence wrote:If you ever decide to go to Boston let me know. I can give you tips about the city and how to get around. You don't want a car there at all. You will pay the price of a plane ticket just in parking fee's. Boston is the city to go to for history. It is fairly easy to get around and the food is awesome.

Thanks, I'm working on plans for next June or Sept. I'll let you know if I can get something solid in place.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 am

Houston was one hitting team this year. This was a fun series to watch. Just a few month until Spring training. I thought this was one year where the playoffs were better than the season. The change in the ball was really evident. They got what they wanted. Kudos to Houston.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 am

I saw the study where they found, since the change in manufacturers in 2015, that there has been a significant decrease in the drag coeffecient of the balls....which would average about five feet more carry for a fly ball.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am

billybud wrote:I saw the study where they found, since the change in manufacturers in 2015, that there has been a significant decrease in the drag coeffecient of the balls....which would average about five feet more carry for a fly ball.

Think that is correct. They made the seams of the ball lower. They wanted more home runs...(I am not sure that is what fans really wanted..maybe so.) What I think it also did is allow the pitches to come in faster. I suspect at 98 MPH 1 MPH makes a big difference. (At a fair about 7 years ago I threw the baseball with a radar gun. 47 mph.....I still don't understand why the Yankees didn't call me up any more than I do why cirque du soleil rejected my application for employment.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:46 am

Donovan...don't get discouraged...you just applied in the wrong places...I was going to recommend a place for your talents, but, since Barnum and Bailey closed their tents, there seems a surplus of guys wearing red balls for noses on the market.

Who knew? Looks like the top clown slot got taken in the last election. I'll have to check out the shoes to be absolutely sure.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “Off-Topic”