College World Series 2017

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

College World Series 2017

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:14 am

Oregon State made it, despite unexpected personnel issues. Now if FSU can make it, Mr. Billybud needs to come up with appropriate spoils.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: College World Series 2017

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 am

FSU will make it...to the consternation of our fans...it will be two and cue at the CWS for us.

We do not have a strong team...most figured that we wouldn't get by Auburn in the Regional coming out of the loser bracket.......but the kids are scrappy.

Down to Sam Houston State yesterday in the Supers...they came back to win in a walk off in the 9th.

We'll see today at noon whether they can get by Sam Houston (a surprisingly good club).

I watched Cal State Fullerton yesterday...they have pitching, hitting...would not want to play them early.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 am

I saw the last few innings of the FSU game and I think scrappy is a good description. You are correct Cal State Fullerton seems to be a complete team. Hard to imagine them being down for two games.

What is amazing is the number of strikes thrown. All these kids are throwing very well. These new low seamed balls have effects not only in hitting, it seems.

Good luck today to FSU

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:47 pm

If you want rain, Mr. Billybud...come up and live next door to me.....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Rain delay now 6 hours...we may be up late tonight to see this one played..if it gets played.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Top of the the 6th...Noles on top 16-0.

And bases loaded (although with two outs).

We got this.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Now 18-0 bottom of 6th...Two runs scored with one hit on those two outs. We got this.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 pm

19-0...now to the CWS and a butt whipping...

Make the finals and you get a steak dinner...out early and it is barbecue..."Two and Cue"...that's what we think this year.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 pm

I am sure there are a lot of Southern expression for that whoopin' but you did it in style.

Should be a good series. Best of luck

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 am

Well...a good win like that sure put some pepper in the gumbo.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 am

I don't know why FSU is so jinxed at the CWS....

Ranked #3 in post season wins...and having the NCAA records...Most Runs in a Regional Game...37, Largest Margin of Victory in a Regional Game...31, Most Runs in a Super Regional...23, and Largest Margin of Victory in a Super Regional...19.

Yet...FSU will be making its 23rd trip to the CWS and has never won the series (and is now unlucky enough to get paired with LSU off the bat).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:25 am

At this point, all of the matchups are going to be tough. That was an amazing amount of runs, I am not sure a team should score that many if the pitching was like batting practice.

Oregon State will prove their mettle. With their top pitcher out, we will see their depth.

As a general comment, because I can rant about the same subject regardless of the sport, I am always surprised Oregon State does so well. They have not played a home game this year on a totally dry field and they practice indoors most of the time. I get Southern, both East and West schools where they play all year long having the strongest teams, just amazed.

Now to the rant. Oh forget it, I am in a good mood today and ESPN is not in my mind...I have forbidden all my grandchildren to go to Disneyland and support any company that feels a divine obligation to hire geographical biases and prejudiced commentators. They said, "Grandpa....quite ranting and raving about stuff nobody cares about." I said, "Have you been talking to Uncle Billybud..."

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Well...Oregon State was seeded #1...and the Vegas odds makers have Oregon State as the favorite..... with LSU as second best odds.

I'd say that the guys who follow NCAA baseball think that Oregon State is pretty dang good.

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Always nice to edge into the CWS by sweeping your in-state rival as UL goes to the CWS for the 4th time in 10 years. Maybe we can do some damage there this time.

have fun, Swamp Daddy :P
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 am

I've been waiting for you to jump in here Swamp Daddy. This is the best showing that the CFP board has had for some time. I watched UL play twice and though I can't remember the pitcher's name, he worked both sides of the plate as well as anybody I saw this tournament.

Return to “Off-Topic”