Memorial Day

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Memorial Day

Postby donovan » Sun May 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Yesterday Mrs. Donovan and I visited the cemetery where our parents are buried. I am like to visit cemeteries, not because of the people that are there, but because of the people that are there. There were American flags on many graves symbolizing they served in the military. My father and father-in-law did not serve in the military during World War II. My father worked for a company that made chemicals and his job was frozen during World War II. That meant he could not quit nor was he eligible for the draft. He was assigned by his company to move to Bremerton Washington naval base, my mother stayed in Kansas City until I was born. She, my sister and I joined him that December. His job was to instruct the sailors how to use a chemical with the ships waste water so there would not be oil slicks that might by used by the enemy to trace the ship's movement. The also set up chemicals in the galleys and laundries. My father-in-law worked for the Union Pacific railroad during the same period of time. He was frozen on his job and spent the remainder of the war working with the military on troop and military cargo movement. I put flags on both their graves.

My other known relative that served in the military was an uncle, four times removed that died fighting for the South during the Civil War. He was a private on a flatboat on the Mississippi river. The Captain's log said he died of a canon ball to the chest. He wrote, "He was a good man." His 21-year-old widow received a widow's pension of 19 cents a month. I do not know where or if he was buried, but I would put two flags on his grave.

Freedom is not free.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Memorial Day

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 pm

It truly isn't free. Thanks to all her served.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Cool story about your father!! That generation was just different. Can't explain it....they just were.

Maybe it was the Depression that caused them to be raised a little differently. I have no clue and have spent much time thinking about how my generation is so different from my grandparents. And it's depressing. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:31 pm

This past week, I thought of my dad.

June 6...72 years ago, he flew into Normandy in the predawn hours to drop paratroopers. On his second trip, D Day afternoon. his C47 ("Pluto") was hit at low altitude and lost an engine, then the second engine was hit.

The plane crashed through a tree line tearing off the left wing and the tail section before plowing into a field. The men came under German fire but members of the 502nd Paratroop Infantry Regiment (of the 101st) rescued the crew, The copilot had a broken back and other injuries and the rest of the crew could walk out.

Dad eventually made it back to the beach, was transported back to England. His plane and crew had been reported as missing in action.

He went down again in 1945 but lived to marry, have a family, and continue to cheer for Michigan against Ohio State for the rest of his days.

An extraordinary generation they were.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

MichaelFrusa
Recruit
Recruit

Memorial Day

Postby MichaelFrusa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:50 am

Im sad that this didnt get more replies. My dad is a retired Not really, once a Ranger always a Ranger Airborne Ranger so Memorial Day is huge in our house. I give great thanks to those who have served and died for us. Youre all great people.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

We are a small group and often we read each other's stories and though not acknowledged in writing, there is always a tenderness in our hearts. We need to be better about letting each other know. Thanks for stopping by, please continue.
Last edited by donovan on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Yes please. What others have given and what some here have given so that we may be free is not lost on any of us. Even if is it not always expressed.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”