Baseball 2016

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Baseball 2016

Postby donovan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Well, I start out the year with a loss. At least is can't go down from here. Mariners 0-1.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Baseball 2016

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Feeling better today. And as for the Utley Rule in the Jay's game. If they are going to call it that way baseball is quasi doomed. Replay in every sport is just ludicrous. It is a game. Live with the umps. There is hardly anything left to talk about around the water cooler.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:48 am

Vin Scully is doing his last game today. I think I will listen. The great ones are all leaving. I am sure some are in the making...just not my generation. Baseball is better because of its broadcasters.

As a kid I would listen to Rollie Truit and later Bob Blackburn broadcast the Portland Beaver in the old Pacific Coast League, which at that time there were no major league teams on the West Coast but I think the PCL was as good then as both the AL and NL. (that is why people my age on the West Coast are generally either Yankee or Dodger Fans...I have always liked the Yankees.) Anywyay. Tr'uitt and Blackburn would tell how the broadcasted the away games. Essentially, they just made them up. They would get a report every five minutes or so..sometimes longer and they would call the balls and strikes, outside, low and inside, just like it really happened. Slap a glove and crack a board and you have a ball and bat....great memories.

Vin Scully will be missed.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-vin-scully-hernandez-20160412-story.html

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am

We had to travel to Nashville to attend a wedding...on the way back, we stayed overnight in Chattanooga and went to a game with the Chattanooga Lookouts playing Birmingham.

Small time baseball but we had a good time.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:49 pm

I love minor league baseball. Always entertaining. Relaxed. Sit back have a dog or two and watch a zilion things you never see on TV.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Chattanooga used to be a Reds minor league club.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”