Pete Rose

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Pete Rose

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Pete Rose is who I wanted to be as a kid growing up. I wanted to play exactly like him. When as an adult I heard that baseball was investigating him for gambling on baseball; didn't believe it. Then I read the Dowd report and I knew that he had done it. It didn't and still doesn't change how I felt about him as a player. I think he was the ultimate baseball player. Some one every young baller should fashion their game after - between the lines. Outside the lines he has proven to be a liar and a man with a gambling addiction. Also he has too big an ego to admit he has a problem, mush less get help for the problem. I support the commissioner denying Pete entry back into baseball. He should never be allowed back into the game. He has proven for the last 30 years that he has no business back into the game.

I do think he should be in the hall of fame. He is baseballs all time hits leader and one of the greatest players of all time. The hall is full of great players who were scumbags outside the lines. Pete's hero - Ty Cobb was among the worst. The hall is for the best whoever played and he is in that group. The hall should change their rules to let him be up for a vote. If the writers decide that he shouldn't be in, then that should be that, but he should have a chance.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Pete Rose

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:40 am

I agree. As I understood the commissioner, the Hall of Fame can put him on the ballot. That is independent of his getting back in baseball. They should do that and do it soon. I think the commissioner was giving his approval of doing that.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:51 am

I believe that too. I think he was also clear about Pete not changing his life in the terms set out by the agreement and that he himself hasn't met the requirements of him being let back into the game. Unless Pete can face his problem, he will never be reinstated. Knowing what I know about Pete, he will never stand up and admit a weakness. It is a character flaw that he can not over come.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 am

"we are Charley Hustle".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:58 pm

He is, unfortunately Charlie Hustle in every sense of the word.

Return to “Off-Topic”