Well...so much for soccer for our son...

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Well...so much for soccer for our son...

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Our boy (age 29) injured his knee coaching/playing soccer.

Word from the MRI is a complete ACL tear, MCL tear and partial meniscus tear. Surgery is to be scheduled.

Doc says he won't be able to drive (standard shift jeep) for at least month. We are postponing our planned departure in March for the cabin so I can drive him back and forth to his job at the school.

He is a little down...thinks he is done with soccer.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Well...so much for soccer for our son...

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Sorry to hear that. My dad always tried to talk me out of playing sports for just that reason. He had bad knees and hips. I was lucky not to have anything major. All my kids play, though only one is really athletic. So far no injuries with them. Your son is lucky to have his dad to help him back one forth to work. I know people who have lost their job due to injuries from their weekend warrior activities.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Spense...I was a player...Football in HS, soccer and rugby until my 40's...coaching as well into 50's, volleyball until 50, basketball into 50's, racquetball to 57.

I've had a lot of broken bones..hand, fingers, foot, toes, nose..... and stitches aplenty.
My knees are a little arthritic, as is my L5. Had my knee scoped but nothing like my boys injury.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Knee injuries are never good, this sounds especially not good. I wish him well. Marvelous things can be done today. Rehab is the key to recovery, as you know. The joint gets fixed but strong muscles around the joint is what makes the, in this case knee, workable. As Spence said, everyone needs a mother and father that never stop caring. Raising adult children is one of life's big mysteries.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm

billybud wrote:Spense...I was a player...Football in HS, soccer and rugby until my 40's...coaching as well into 50's, volleyball until 50, basketball into 50's, racquetball to 57.

I've had a lot of broken bones..hand, fingers, foot, toes, nose..... and stitches aplenty.
My knees are a little arthritic, as is my L5. Had my knee scoped but nothing like my boys injury.

I still play some bball and a little softball along with golf. I played no pads tackle football until I was 27. I never broke a bone. Never had a major injury. Even now I have no real pain. I have little knee aches and some back and elbow pain, but nothing that most people my age get over time. I have been pretty lucky that way. My dad had lots of issues, but he also played baseball at a high level until he was 40. I played weekend warrior type sports. It could be rough sometimes, but nothing over the top.

I feel for your boy. From what you described, his knee is barely connected. My cousin has a similar injury when he was younger and it still causes him problems. Sports medicine is so much better now than when we were kids, he may be able to find another activity down the road. Tennis or racquetball wouldn't require the big cuts like soccer. My daughter plays soccer, basketball, and softball. She is a no fear type player, she reminds me so much of my dad, I am afraid that she is going to have a big injury like your son did at some point.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:02 am

Spence...

We both played tackle football into our later 20's...and wasn't it grand? It is amazing that we do not have deleterious effects.

Picked the boy up last night to take him to supper...he is barely ambulatory until they operate and put on the immobilizer. He also is single and has a dog that has to be walked. Thankfully, he is only five minutes away.

Parents always are the safety net for their children. I realized that importance last night when he said "mom, dad...you have always had my back".

We now have the logistics planned out...right now, it is more intensive as far as the care provided...after surgery it will even out some as he is able to move around on crutches.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm glad the surgery went ok. He should be fine as long as he does his rehab and follows Doctor's orders.

The after high school football was the most fun I even had. Not college ball. I didn't play football in college, but the no pads or helmets football was great. I am lucky that I came out without a major injury. Several who played weren't as lucky. I had a buddy who broke a collar bone and saw several people that had broken limbs. It was a men's league with only men playing. No one under 18. There were guys from all walks of life who played. It was great.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 am

Well...life throws curves....

I was supposed to go to Tampa to watch the Yankees/FSU game...my wife will not have me abandon our (adult) son. Even if he has someone to take him to work.

Guess I'll be in Tallahassee playing chauffer and listening to the game on the radio.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:35 am

:lol: :lol: I think I would let my wife cover this trip to work if she was that concered.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Yeah Spence...I know.

But she is in her final two days of employment before retirement....This Wednesday, she completes her 35 year tour.

Monday and Tuesday are her last days of work...I will be the chauffer.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah Spence...I know.

But she is in her final two days of employment before retirement....This Wednesday, she completes her 35 year tour.

Monday and Tuesday are her last days of work...I will be the chauffer.

Good luck to her in retirement. The Yankees aren't all that anyway. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 am

whew...her first day of retirement wasn't too bad.

One day down and a couple of thousand to go (one can hope).

We spent the day taking our son to rehab....then sitting with him in our house with his leg strapped in a machine that gently flexes it...two hours at a time...supposed to be 6-8 hours a day.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm

billybud wrote:whew...her first day of retirement wasn't too bad.

One day down and a couple of thousand to go (one can hope).

We spent the day taking our son to rehab....then sitting with him in our house with his leg strapped in a machine that gently flexes it...two hours at a time...supposed to be 6-8 hours a day.

He has to sit in that chair for 6-8 hours? Wouldn't there be a risk of a blood clot with that?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Yeah Spence...he must wear a compression legging on the non injured leg to prevent clotting....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:20 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah Spence...he must wear a compression legging on the non injured leg to prevent clotting....

It would suck to sit in a chair for six straight hours at home, I feel for him.

Return to “Off-Topic”